“A touch of Morocco” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #80 of 1,381 restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Casablanca is the only moroccan restaurant in ho chi minh city serving Dinner ,plenty of starters,range of tajines perfectly done,a savory couscous from merguez and chicken to couscous royal...and don 't skip the moroccan drinks such as khalejji bazar,Mogador breeze,rock la kasbah and more..and for finish your meal don't hesitate to order some moroccan delights with a refreshing moroccan mint tea.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“A touch of Morocco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Tucked away down an alley in Phu Nhuan District, some kilometres away from the centre of Saigon, is Casablanca Restaurant. We arrived rather early in the evening - about 7 p.m., and it took a while to rouse anybody from the depths of the interior.

Full marks for the decor of this small restaurant. In fact it might even win the prize for best decor of any restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City. There are only two large, low tables with sheepskin rugs and typical Moroccan cushions and fabrics covering the seats, each able to seat about 8 people, plus two small tables for two people. The atmosphere and furnishings are immediately attractive, and one has a sense of complete well-being on entering the door.

Then there appears the owner (and chef) - a large Moroccan man dressed in a colourful robe and fez. We opt for a surprisingly expensive but very tasty mint tea, which is poured out of an antique (silver?) teapot from a great height. Excellent, if perhaps too pricey - 60,000 Dong (3$) for one person, whilst a cold Tiger beer cost exactly half that.

We ordered a lamb couscous and a chicken Tajine. I have had couscous in a variety of places, and this one was pleasant, if not outstanding, and reasonably sized, though not copious. My appetite is gargantuan; so I almost always find myself wanting more. The tajine, with its taste of lemon zest, was definitely good.

We finished off with a couple of desserts, which were expensive, small in size and pretty nice, accompanied by mint tea again.

Even if the food was not extraordinary, we had a really enjoyable experience in this restaurant. It's amazing how the decor and atmosphere of a place can make such a difference. I don't like rating the food as average, as it was more interesting and better than that; so overall I can recommend the place highly. Mr. Riahi Noureddine, the chef/owner, has, I'm sure, a faithful clientele, having been in the same location for over 4 years. A really good find.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
hrizi, Owner at Casablanca Moroccan Cuisine, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hi,Tim, thank you so much for taking time to review us on trip advisor. I am happy you could have nice experience among us in casablance....our price is very reasonnable and the best quality products...i garante.
Thank you again for coming.
Best regards

88% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

There are places where it is good and go Casablanca is one of those places.
I went twice in this establishment, two very great satisfaction.
The boss is very nice is very welcoming, the food is really delicious and the setting is very pleasant.
An address must visit for foodies North Africa.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
hrizi, Owner at Casablanca Moroccan Cuisine, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
hi John,
thank you very much to taking time to reviewing us on TA...i am glad you give a certificate of excellence.
I will spread the word to my staff for they know we do great job..
all in all,thank you for coming and we hope see you again while you are in saigon.
Mr Riahi
Regards
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Moroccan in the city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I live in the US and as soon as I land in Saigon I go straight to Casablanca!! I love the fact the menu is small so I no the dishes are small and well crafted.The owner is a great person as well he is kind and welcoming into his restaurant .Highly Recommend

• 5 of 5 stars Food
hrizi, Owner at Casablanca Moroccan Cuisine, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hi Anthony, thank you so much for taking time to write a review on trip advisor.i am sure the staff they will be delighted to hear that you left casablanca fully satisfied..while you come for dinner
We will welcome you again as usual.
Best regards
SouthEast Asia
“Completely charming, and impressive, delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

After hearing so much about Casablanca through friends and tripadvisor, I finally made my way out to district 10. The restaurant, which is located on the bottom floor of the chefs house, is small and sweet. Candles, low lighting, - it’s a great date spot or place to gather with friends. Be sure to call ahead to reserve a table though, b/c seating is limited.

The atmosphere is intimate, but it’s really the food that will keep me coming back. Everything I had ordered was absolutely delicious. It’s home cooking at it’s best. Simple, unpretentious, well balanced, great textures, nicely plated… The chef knows what he is doing. The desserts were so so impressive too. I’ve never had anything like that in Vietnam before- fantastic!

The restaurant is definietly worth the trip. Bring your friends, order one of everything… you will be in for a good evening.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
hrizi, Owner at Casablanca Moroccan Cuisine, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
hi wonderpants,thank you so much for coming and taking time to write a review on trip advisor...i will definitely let my FOH and BOH staffs know that your dinning experience with freinds was great.
as you mention the restaurant is quit small...no mystery ..just for making home cooking style with great stuffs from Morocco.
thank you.
best regards
Kathmandu Nepal
“We had Moroccan Food in Saigon !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Strange but true...the night we arrived in Saigon, our host took us to dine at this place which turned out to be a renovated old house with great food.

Visited March 2012
hrizi, Owner at Casablanca Moroccan Cuisine, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
hi Demanding Traveller,thank you for taking time and review us on trip advisor..my wife and I designed the house to be a moroccan restaurant with more materials from Morocco.
so it make the experience truly amazing while eating tajine and lessening arabic music in moroccan themed house.
RIAHI