“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

241/31 Pham Ngu Lao Street | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Had a deluxe double private ensuite with a window on the 5th floor - although there were a LOT of steps, I didn't mind the exercise. Mr & Mrs Anh are very friendly and helpful and make you feel as though you are staying with family. The room was spacious and comfortable and very clean. Wifi worked well. Breakfast is not included but there are many excellent & cheap options available in the alley outside. The pho restaurant they recommend, Pho Quynh, is excellent. The Lonely Planet directions are wrong - go to 241 Pham Ngu Lao Street and you will see a small GD Mart with an alley called HEM 241. Walk down the alley for about 60 metres and Diep Anh Guesthouse is on the left hand side. I would definitely stay here again.

NOTE: I only had a short time in Saigon so opted for the 1 day Mekong Delta tour - unfortunately we got there too late to see the Cai Be floating markets & the included lunch at Vinh Long was terrible. I think the 2 day trip would be a lot better if you have the time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
preston,uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hostel/guesthouse is down a small alley off a very busy main street.
The rooms are a good size and spotlessly clean. The bed is quite hard and the pillows a little flat. The room has a wardrobe and a fridge which is a nice touch plus TV.
The bathroom is a good size and the shower has good pressure. Hot water available most of the day except the early mornings.
The owners are just lovely and nothing is too much trouble, lots of information from them about where to go and what to see including booking tours.
We booked the cu chi tunnel tour with them for $6. It was interesting, but difficult if you don't like being herded around in a large group. quite a long journey too 2 and half hours there, about an hour and half back. I would probably recommend looking about abit for tours that have smaller group sizes.

The only gripes I would have about the guesthouse would be that although we stayed for 3 nights our towels were not changed, bins not emptied etc.

All in all though a good central location and a descents nights sleep to be had

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Mr Diep and his wife are very nice and very helpful. The guesthouse is in a central location with everything within walking distance.
The rooms were clean and with fully working AC and hot water. The laundry service that is offered is fast and cheap (1$ per KG)
We actually stayed here put first two nights in HMC and then again the last night after returning from the north.
I would stay here again if i returned to HMC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The reviews on TA were glowing so my husband and I booked a room online. The $25 per night price seemed high for the Backpacker Area, but we figured they must offer something different. We had to change our reservation to the following day since I was ill, so we arrived a day later. Mr. Diep Anh and his wife greeted us warmly, but put us into a different guesthouse down the street. We realized after a day that this other guesthouse cost only $16 per night. When we asked Mr. Diep Anh about the price difference, he became quite agitated. His previously friendly manner disapeared and after that we felt quite uncomfortable. It is easy to find a nice place to stay in the Backpacker Area without booking online. The problem was that since we had arranged the room and the cost online, we were stuck with it. I know we could have just paid what we owed and left when we realized that Diep Anh had been dishonest with us. We only booked in for 3 nights and the lady who ran the guesthouse where we ended up was very nice. We stayed but we realized that by booking online we ended up paying a lot more than was necessary.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was a clean and nice guesthouse which was located in the middle of Saigon district 1(backpackers area). The directions given upon booking it online was accurate and I had no problem finding it. Upon our arrival, Mr Anh was nice to explain to us the places we could explore and always available to answer any of our questions.

Free coffee available throughout the whole day was a plus.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

What makes Diep Anh one of the nicest places I’ve stayed in Asia? The answer is, the lovely couple that run it!
The hotel itself is located down a narrow alley way off a main road, however is always busy and feels safe because it is connected to the main tourist road, so there are always plenty of people about at all times of day. When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly face of the owner who made us feel like we were his personal guests from the offset! He sat us down in reception (I say reception, it felt more like their living room!) and made us a cup of coffee each before talking us through a map of Saigon, and suggesting points of interest we might want to visit in the city. The tips he gave us were invaluable such as giving us an exact walking route we could do to tour the city and suggesting that we needn’t take taxis because the whole central area was walk able. It was little touches like this that made me feel welcomed straight away and something I don’t feel all hotels are that helpful with or interested in showing you. The owners were also very helpful in booking tours for us to the Mekong Delta and Cu Chi Tunnels that were both very reasonably priced and that myself and my girlfriend both enjoyed immensely (I highly recommend the 2 day Mekong Delta home stay!). We were also able to get our washing done for a very reasonable price and the Saigon beer on offer in the reception (10,000 Dong – about 30p!) was the cheapest I found in Vietnam! The room itself was simple, although clean and had air con and TV and was very spacious (albeit up 4 flights of stairs!).
My only criticisms are that they managed to lose one of my T-shirts I gave them in my washing and didn’t seem to offer up any suggestions as to where it had gone or attempt to find it for me when asked which was slightly disappointing. I also think the price we paid wasn’t the greatest value compared to other guesthouses we’d stayed at in Vietnam, considering that we’d stayed in cheaper guesthouses with better rooms that also served breakfast (don’t get me wrong though, for a centrally located guesthouse in Saigon it was still comparatively cheap, just not as good value as some other places we’d stayed in Vietnam and Cambodia!). You can also only pay with cash which seems a bit backwards compared to other guesthouses in Vietnam. You also aren’t made aware of this until you check out which means you have to go to the cash machine and 1) incur more bank charges for withdrawing money abroad and 2) carry large wads of cash through the backpacker district! These things shouldn’t take away from the fact though that myself and my girlfriend both loved our stay at Diep Anh and that what really makes the place to stay in Saigon is the owners, whose tireless service and constantly friendly demeanour made us feel welcome throughout our entire stay. They even walked us out to the main road when we checked out to make sure we got a taxi to the airport and negotiated the price with the taxi driver before he left so we didn’t get scammed! I don’t know many guesthouses that offer you that level of personal service...fantastic!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aschaffenburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Overall, this is a good guest house but we have gotten pretty much the same for much cheaper elsewhere in Vietnam. I am not sure if maybe the prices are just higher in HCMC because we didn't shop around for a room.
In any case, in terms of cleanliness this was one of the best places we stayed at. It was really spotless. Another plus is that the bed has proper blankets. Everything worked fine and the owners were friendly and helpful. Location was good too.
This hotel is probably a good choice. As I said, I just find it a little too pricey

Room Tip: For the rooms on the higher floors you will have to walk a lot of stairs as there is no elevator