“Impressive lobby, but that is pretty much it.” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added New Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
New Pacific Hotel
New Pacific Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   09-11 Ky Dong Street | District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #245 of 633 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Karlsruhe
“Impressive lobby, but that is pretty much it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was near the train station. The lobby is very impressive, but the room was nothing special, the pool offers no shade at all and is not very inviting anyway. the breakfast was interesting, though, and the bellhop had a great restaurant suggestion for us. The hotel caters to a mostly asian clientel. It was very strange for my family to have to walk through the "lucky" massage parlor to get to the pool!
We chose not to stay there on our return trip in HCMC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wanneroo, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived late as our flight was delayed and we were told that it would cost us an extra $30us a night for the 3rd bed for our kids, I argued and they would not discount it so we went ahead with it.
When we got to our room there was a flyer diplaying a price of $15us for the 3rd bed, when I went back to reception with this information they told me that it was an old flyer, I argued again.
The following morning I checked my booking online to discover that I has already payed for the extra bed in my original booking after much discussion the reception reluctantly accepted this.
In my online booking a free shuttle servive to the airport was also included, but the reception tried to tell me this promotion had ended the month earlier, I dug my heals in and got what I had paid for.
The breakfast was horrible and only had it once prefering to go to "tout les jours" bakery instead which I highly recommend.
The swimming pool is a joke and I have a larger one in my garden at home.
The "massage" area was seedy or as my wife said,"dodgy" and it would not be surprising if extra services were offered .
Having said this the rooms were clean and tidy, but I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IllinoisUSA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I picked this hotel because of the rating and the discount from their regular listed price. BUT it turned out to be the biggest hotel-selection mistake I made in Vietnam. I have stayed at many 2 and 3 star hotels in Ho Chi Minh City which were 10 times more pleasant than this so-called 4-stars hotel. The night staff was very rude and cold when I tried to check in at night. He basically ordered me to what I had to do and where I had to go - Not a glimse of smile on his face. The furniture in the room looked elegant, but they were all made out of hard wood - Not comfortable to sit in at all. The bed mattress was very firm.

The worst part beside from the bad service was how noisy the hotel was. The room was not sound insulated and I can hear people talking at the end of the hallway. Unless you carefully close the door slowly, it sounds like someone slams the door loudly (because of the material and the design) - I can hear this throughout the night as people go in and out of their room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Hotel is pretty reasonable. Buffet breakfast is pretty decent. Big rooms but smelt a bit weird at first, maybe because of the carpeted flooring. Wifi is free and working, but since we have stayed at the 8th floor, connection is bit slow. The whole hotel is dark and gloomy and feels haunted a bit. lol

I was dismayed greatly by the swimming pool, which was atop the hotel. It seems like it hasn't been cleaned and used for quite sometime. Pool water is so disgusting I have no word to describe how awful it is. After dipping for a few minutes, me & my friend decided to leave the pool area. It is the worst pool ever I have come across with till date!

Apparently, we didnt have any problems with noisy hallways and corridors - maybe because we stayed on a higher floor

Room Tip: We do not have problems with loud hallways in the higher floors - but wifi connection is damn slow
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is my first night in this hotel and the hallway has really terrible acoustics. The sound from the hallway magnifies and penetrates the room. I can literally hear every single foot step, every time someone inserts the card to open the door, opens the door, and closes. Every single conversation clearly, better than from the TV. Plus the door is electric and produces a loud sound each time a key is inserted and an alarm is generated each time someone doesn't close the door properly. This is not a 4 star hotel at all. Thanks I paid less than $70 a night for a last minute booking through Hotels.com. I do miss StarCity hotel which was around the same price range, but new, clean, with excellent customer service, but in neighborhood that doesn't offer much.

The location of New Pacific Hotel is good for experiencing something local and less touristic. There are a lot of local shops and restaurants catered for locals, which is plus. The furniture is wooden and it feels like I'm back in Asia 15-20 years ago. The restroom is clean and the toiletries are pretty standard. Nothing outstanding. The bedding looks and feels like from Asia in the 1970's. Very old Asian looking.

I got an upgrade from deluxe room to junior suite. The front desk couldn't find my reservation from Hotels.com but let me stay the first night (tonight) with no issue upon showing my paid reservation. I'll find out tomorrow what happens next. Not sure if this is an issue with the hotel or hotels.com.

I'm an avid traveler and have been travelling globally about 40-60% of my time for the last 10 years. This is my first time writing a review, and the general noise I'm receiving from my junior suite bed is motivating me to say something about this. And I haven't asked the hotel to change my room as I'm really tired and want to just pass out. I will ask for a really quiet room tomorrow. First thing in the morning. As of now, earplugs plus noise cancelling headphones will be my salvation.

Interesting note: The hallway has marble (or similar type) of flooring which makes it super loud and the sound echoes. The room has an old carpet that makes me question how often it is washed...

Good luck in your search finding a great hotel for a great place and location in SaiGon (Ho Chi Minh City).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 8 day :o( so first of all I fault myself for not doing more research on the location which is District 3 and reading more reviews before booking this hotel. It’s far away from most of Saigon’s attractions in District 1, although the taxi fare is very reasonable. The nearby shops and restaurant are all Chinese or Vietnamese and very few people speak English. The hotel itself is not warm and welcoming – it’s big and somewhat vacant of guests. The furniture is very hard wood and not at all comfy but the bed was OK and the Internet connection was great. Only problem with the cable was no CNN or BBC which is disappointing for someone whose been traveling a long time and wants to check local news. This is definitely not more than a three star hotel. The linen was dingy and the entire place had a not-so-fresh smell – couldn’t exactly put my figure on it. One gorgeous thing about the hotel is the crown moldings which are all quite stunning and beautiful.

Busy Ky Dong Street outside is very loud and so ear plugs are most definitely required if you are disturbed by street noise. Also, the acoustics within the hotel are not so great and if someone slams the door to their room you definitely get rousted.

A few common New Pacific Hotel scenarios:

1 hotel guest sitting in a HUGE dining room having breakfast with 8 staff standing around talking (loudly) to each other in their native language... The guest has to get up and walk all the way across a large room to get more tea. The toast is made via one of those conveyor systems where it browns slowly. Instead of bringing the toast with an omelet to the guest already seated and having tea – the staff bring the omelet and by the time the guest gets up, toasts the bread, and brings it back to the table, the omelet is cold.

The rooms have carpet and I regret forgetting to ask about that BEORE making a reservation. I arrived late the first night and the next morning woke up with a horrible headache but not sure why. It took two more days to realize it was the dirty dusty carpeting causing my dust allergies to act up. I complained and they vacuumed the room – which I then said was not enough so after several complaints of being ill they finally moved me to another room – also with carpet but cleaner. The carpet in the first room I occupied should have been deep cleaned BEFORE a guest was assigned!

I should have moved from this hotel after the first night but have been traveling so long the thought of moving again made me crazy so I wanted it to work but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance if you can void it. You may not be happy at the hotel and getting a refund wil...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My mom and I stayed in this hotel in October 2011 because the hotel we originally wanted was fully booked, according to the travel agent.

I am okay with the clean and comfortable hotel room. I loved the fact that there's wi-fi which I could access from my iPod, and that there's a nice Yoghurt place across the road - which we go to every night for our dessert fix! The service was good, staff are friendly and attentive to our every request and went all out to help us.

I really doubt though that this hotel is 4 star; more like a 3. Our room's bathroom wasn't elderly friendly. My mom had difficulty climbing into the bathtub because there were no handles, or a non-slip mat and I had to keep an eye on her to ensure she doesn't fall. There was no safe for us to keep our valuables, which was something I expected from a 4 star hotel.

Our room package came with a free breakfast buffet - which was horrible. (Not Earle Swensen's Terminal 3 horrible - read my review to find out more :), but pretty bad all the same!) Most of the food are placed on trays in the open. Not only was it cold, but you could see fruit flies on some of the fruit. There are some hot food available, but its certainly not fresh.

Not sure how accomodation is like in Ho Chi Minh city, but we certainly will not come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to New Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!