“a bit far away from the action” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Pacific Hotel

New Pacific Hotel
You added New Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
New Pacific Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   09-11 Ky Dong Street | District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #342 of 678 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“a bit far away from the action”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Hotel is pretty reasonable. Buffet breakfast is pretty decent. Big rooms but smelt a bit weird at first, maybe because of the carpeted flooring. Wifi is free and working, but since we have stayed at the 8th floor, connection is bit slow. The whole hotel is dark and gloomy and feels haunted a bit. lol

I was dismayed greatly by the swimming pool, which was atop the hotel. It seems like it hasn't been cleaned and used for quite sometime. Pool water is so disgusting I have no word to describe how awful it is. After dipping for a few minutes, me & my friend decided to leave the pool area. It is the worst pool ever I have come across with till date!

Apparently, we didnt have any problems with noisy hallways and corridors - maybe because we stayed on a higher floor

Room Tip: We do not have problems with loud hallways in the higher floors - but wifi connection is damn slow
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is my first night in this hotel and the hallway has really terrible acoustics. The sound from the hallway magnifies and penetrates the room. I can literally hear every single foot step, every time someone inserts the card to open the door, opens the door, and closes. Every single conversation clearly, better than from the TV. Plus the door is electric and produces a loud sound each time a key is inserted and an alarm is generated each time someone doesn't close the door properly. This is not a 4 star hotel at all. Thanks I paid less than $70 a night for a last minute booking through Hotels.com. I do miss StarCity hotel which was around the same price range, but new, clean, with excellent customer service, but in neighborhood that doesn't offer much.

The location of New Pacific Hotel is good for experiencing something local and less touristic. There are a lot of local shops and restaurants catered for locals, which is plus. The furniture is wooden and it feels like I'm back in Asia 15-20 years ago. The restroom is clean and the toiletries are pretty standard. Nothing outstanding. The bedding looks and feels like from Asia in the 1970's. Very old Asian looking.

I got an upgrade from deluxe room to junior suite. The front desk couldn't find my reservation from Hotels.com but let me stay the first night (tonight) with no issue upon showing my paid reservation. I'll find out tomorrow what happens next. Not sure if this is an issue with the hotel or hotels.com.

I'm an avid traveler and have been travelling globally about 40-60% of my time for the last 10 years. This is my first time writing a review, and the general noise I'm receiving from my junior suite bed is motivating me to say something about this. And I haven't asked the hotel to change my room as I'm really tired and want to just pass out. I will ask for a really quiet room tomorrow. First thing in the morning. As of now, earplugs plus noise cancelling headphones will be my salvation.

Interesting note: The hallway has marble (or similar type) of flooring which makes it super loud and the sound echoes. The room has an old carpet that makes me question how often it is washed...

Good luck in your search finding a great hotel for a great place and location in SaiGon (Ho Chi Minh City).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 8 day :o( so first of all I fault myself for not doing more research on the location which is District 3 and reading more reviews before booking this hotel. It’s far away from most of Saigon’s attractions in District 1, although the taxi fare is very reasonable. The nearby shops and restaurant are all Chinese or Vietnamese and very few people speak English. The hotel itself is not warm and welcoming – it’s big and somewhat vacant of guests. The furniture is very hard wood and not at all comfy but the bed was OK and the Internet connection was great. Only problem with the cable was no CNN or BBC which is disappointing for someone whose been traveling a long time and wants to check local news. This is definitely not more than a three star hotel. The linen was dingy and the entire place had a not-so-fresh smell – couldn’t exactly put my figure on it. One gorgeous thing about the hotel is the crown moldings which are all quite stunning and beautiful.

Busy Ky Dong Street outside is very loud and so ear plugs are most definitely required if you are disturbed by street noise. Also, the acoustics within the hotel are not so great and if someone slams the door to their room you definitely get rousted.

A few common New Pacific Hotel scenarios:

1 hotel guest sitting in a HUGE dining room having breakfast with 8 staff standing around talking (loudly) to each other in their native language... The guest has to get up and walk all the way across a large room to get more tea. The toast is made via one of those conveyor systems where it browns slowly. Instead of bringing the toast with an omelet to the guest already seated and having tea – the staff bring the omelet and by the time the guest gets up, toasts the bread, and brings it back to the table, the omelet is cold.

The rooms have carpet and I regret forgetting to ask about that BEORE making a reservation. I arrived late the first night and the next morning woke up with a horrible headache but not sure why. It took two more days to realize it was the dirty dusty carpeting causing my dust allergies to act up. I complained and they vacuumed the room – which I then said was not enough so after several complaints of being ill they finally moved me to another room – also with carpet but cleaner. The carpet in the first room I occupied should have been deep cleaned BEFORE a guest was assigned!

I should have moved from this hotel after the first night but have been traveling so long the thought of moving again made me crazy so I wanted it to work but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance if you can void it. You may not be happy at the hotel and getting a refund wil...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My mom and I stayed in this hotel in October 2011 because the hotel we originally wanted was fully booked, according to the travel agent.

I am okay with the clean and comfortable hotel room. I loved the fact that there's wi-fi which I could access from my iPod, and that there's a nice Yoghurt place across the road - which we go to every night for our dessert fix! The service was good, staff are friendly and attentive to our every request and went all out to help us.

I really doubt though that this hotel is 4 star; more like a 3. Our room's bathroom wasn't elderly friendly. My mom had difficulty climbing into the bathtub because there were no handles, or a non-slip mat and I had to keep an eye on her to ensure she doesn't fall. There was no safe for us to keep our valuables, which was something I expected from a 4 star hotel.

Our room package came with a free breakfast buffet - which was horrible. (Not Earle Swensen's Terminal 3 horrible - read my review to find out more :), but pretty bad all the same!) Most of the food are placed on trays in the open. Not only was it cold, but you could see fruit flies on some of the fruit. There are some hot food available, but its certainly not fresh.

Not sure how accomodation is like in Ho Chi Minh city, but we certainly will not come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel after staying a few nights in a hostel on a Mekong Delta tour. It is comfortable and clean,with a nice bed and big bathroom-but the absolute worst part of staying at this hotel was the noise. We would be woken after midnight with what sounded like people yelling right outside our room (really they were down the hall and talking normally)...and then woken before 7am with the noise of Saigon's peak hour traffic-it sounded just like the motorbikes were beeping in your room!! I need to get home to get over my sleepless holiday.
We also had some questionable behaviour from the "massage" place on the 11th floor....groups of asian men being dropped off at the hotel after midnight and heading straight to the 11th floor???mmmm gross.!!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My family and I came to New Pacific to find out that we were the only guest in the hotel for the entire week. The hotel was virtually empty, where would they turn off lights in the halls at night to conserve electricity. At any one time, there would be more staff than guests, and this was during the peak season of summer in July. The breakfast buffet was old food that was put out day after day, not being very fresh. We were able to find fruit flies walking abroad the fresh fruit and jam, but the staff did little when we informed them with the problem. Room service was horrible since we got old-microwaved-heat food for a premium price compared to the plentiful restaurants in the area. The hotel is located in an area with nothing to do unless you get a taxi to go to District One. You can start hearing loud traffic around 5 in the morning till 12 at night which is a pain if you are trying to catch some z's after a long trip. Carpet was dirty since it looked like it has never been vacuumed. The bathroom was somewhat clean and acceptable. I would not recommend this hotel for anybody since it was below par for a 4 star hotel. It would be a 3 star hotel at most.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

This is a big hotel with nice rooms and good service. It is a few minutes by taxi/motorbike from the center, so if you want to walk to attractions, it's not good. But service was excellent, I talked to the manager about some special needs and they always helped without any problem. The pool on the roof provides an incredible view, although the pool itself is small -- no lap swimming. The key-activated elevators can be a drag.
Rooms are nice, well equipped with safe, a high-speed internet cable, nice furniture, but bathroom. You do get some of the usual street noise, but that 's hard to avoid in HCMC. Of all the great service, the breakfast is thme least successful: quite some choice and a chef to prepare your omlette right there for you to order, but some of the buffet is generally cold. But for the price it's a great choice and I will bring my group here annually.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to New Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!