“Ear Plugs Required” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added New Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
New Pacific Hotel
New Pacific Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   09-11 Ky Dong Street | District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #245 of 633 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon
“Ear Plugs Required”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 8 day :o( so first of all I fault myself for not doing more research on the location which is District 3 and reading more reviews before booking this hotel. It’s far away from most of Saigon’s attractions in District 1, although the taxi fare is very reasonable. The nearby shops and restaurant are all Chinese or Vietnamese and very few people speak English. The hotel itself is not warm and welcoming – it’s big and somewhat vacant of guests. The furniture is very hard wood and not at all comfy but the bed was OK and the Internet connection was great. Only problem with the cable was no CNN or BBC which is disappointing for someone whose been traveling a long time and wants to check local news. This is definitely not more than a three star hotel. The linen was dingy and the entire place had a not-so-fresh smell – couldn’t exactly put my figure on it. One gorgeous thing about the hotel is the crown moldings which are all quite stunning and beautiful.

Busy Ky Dong Street outside is very loud and so ear plugs are most definitely required if you are disturbed by street noise. Also, the acoustics within the hotel are not so great and if someone slams the door to their room you definitely get rousted.

A few common New Pacific Hotel scenarios:

1 hotel guest sitting in a HUGE dining room having breakfast with 8 staff standing around talking (loudly) to each other in their native language... The guest has to get up and walk all the way across a large room to get more tea. The toast is made via one of those conveyor systems where it browns slowly. Instead of bringing the toast with an omelet to the guest already seated and having tea – the staff bring the omelet and by the time the guest gets up, toasts the bread, and brings it back to the table, the omelet is cold.

The rooms have carpet and I regret forgetting to ask about that BEORE making a reservation. I arrived late the first night and the next morning woke up with a horrible headache but not sure why. It took two more days to realize it was the dirty dusty carpeting causing my dust allergies to act up. I complained and they vacuumed the room – which I then said was not enough so after several complaints of being ill they finally moved me to another room – also with carpet but cleaner. The carpet in the first room I occupied should have been deep cleaned BEFORE a guest was assigned!

I should have moved from this hotel after the first night but have been traveling so long the thought of moving again made me crazy so I wanted it to work but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance if you can void it. You may not be happy at the hotel and getting a refund wil...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My mom and I stayed in this hotel in October 2011 because the hotel we originally wanted was fully booked, according to the travel agent.

I am okay with the clean and comfortable hotel room. I loved the fact that there's wi-fi which I could access from my iPod, and that there's a nice Yoghurt place across the road - which we go to every night for our dessert fix! The service was good, staff are friendly and attentive to our every request and went all out to help us.

I really doubt though that this hotel is 4 star; more like a 3. Our room's bathroom wasn't elderly friendly. My mom had difficulty climbing into the bathtub because there were no handles, or a non-slip mat and I had to keep an eye on her to ensure she doesn't fall. There was no safe for us to keep our valuables, which was something I expected from a 4 star hotel.

Our room package came with a free breakfast buffet - which was horrible. (Not Earle Swensen's Terminal 3 horrible - read my review to find out more :), but pretty bad all the same!) Most of the food are placed on trays in the open. Not only was it cold, but you could see fruit flies on some of the fruit. There are some hot food available, but its certainly not fresh.

Not sure how accomodation is like in Ho Chi Minh city, but we certainly will not come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel after staying a few nights in a hostel on a Mekong Delta tour. It is comfortable and clean,with a nice bed and big bathroom-but the absolute worst part of staying at this hotel was the noise. We would be woken after midnight with what sounded like people yelling right outside our room (really they were down the hall and talking normally)...and then woken before 7am with the noise of Saigon's peak hour traffic-it sounded just like the motorbikes were beeping in your room!! I need to get home to get over my sleepless holiday.
We also had some questionable behaviour from the "massage" place on the 11th floor....groups of asian men being dropped off at the hotel after midnight and heading straight to the 11th floor???mmmm gross.!!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My family and I came to New Pacific to find out that we were the only guest in the hotel for the entire week. The hotel was virtually empty, where would they turn off lights in the halls at night to conserve electricity. At any one time, there would be more staff than guests, and this was during the peak season of summer in July. The breakfast buffet was old food that was put out day after day, not being very fresh. We were able to find fruit flies walking abroad the fresh fruit and jam, but the staff did little when we informed them with the problem. Room service was horrible since we got old-microwaved-heat food for a premium price compared to the plentiful restaurants in the area. The hotel is located in an area with nothing to do unless you get a taxi to go to District One. You can start hearing loud traffic around 5 in the morning till 12 at night which is a pain if you are trying to catch some z's after a long trip. Carpet was dirty since it looked like it has never been vacuumed. The bathroom was somewhat clean and acceptable. I would not recommend this hotel for anybody since it was below par for a 4 star hotel. It would be a 3 star hotel at most.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

This is a big hotel with nice rooms and good service. It is a few minutes by taxi/motorbike from the center, so if you want to walk to attractions, it's not good. But service was excellent, I talked to the manager about some special needs and they always helped without any problem. The pool on the roof provides an incredible view, although the pool itself is small -- no lap swimming. The key-activated elevators can be a drag.
Rooms are nice, well equipped with safe, a high-speed internet cable, nice furniture, but bathroom. You do get some of the usual street noise, but that 's hard to avoid in HCMC. Of all the great service, the breakfast is thme least successful: quite some choice and a chef to prepare your omlette right there for you to order, but some of the buffet is generally cold. But for the price it's a great choice and I will bring my group here annually.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Queanbeyan, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

we checked in quite late, and they didnt seem to even have our booking, and requested my copy of the booking. The staff spoke little English. The breakfast was pretty ordinary and looked not that fresh. The noise from the construction site close to the hotel kept us awake for some time. The room was clean and tidy. I think this hotel is more suited to local travellers. I wouldnt stay here again.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

$125 for one night after paying only $160 at Intercontinental last week (full). I will not stay at this hotel again. It features huge wooden architecture and seating. Not at all cosy. Waited 20 minutes for some bread to make toast. Location is in a busy area of Saigon and the noise penetrates to the rooms. Roof is a nice place to have breakfast, but I only wanted toast which was on hold for the waiter popping down the shops.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to New Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!