“Considerations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Green Suites Hotel

You added Green Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Green Suites Hotel
102 / 1 Cong Quynh, Pham Ngu Lao ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #37 of 700 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Puchong, Malaysia
“Considerations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Don't ask why its known as the Green Suites as nothing in the property points to eco-friendliness, not even a short note to hang bath towels if you want to reuse or put them in the bathtub if you want them laundered. However, as far as service and room cleanliness goes, it is one of the best experience I ever had for the happily affordable rates. Here are some points for consideration:
(1) The location is at the edge of the backpackers area and about 150 meters to where the action is - pubs, western eateries, travel agents, more B&Bs. However, its about 1 km to 1.5 km to Ben Thanh Market, and further still if you are planning to walk to the War Museum, Post Office and the Notre Dame Cathedral. Hence, for the elderly or families with kids, do take note. Distance aside, there are a few roads to cross (horrendous traffic condition) and none or rarely do they have traffic lights.
(2) The property is located at the end of an alley, best described as a narrow road where no cars can enter but motorbikes whizzes through every so often. From the main road, its about 50 to 70 metres to the entrance of the hotel. Two local restaurants, a couple of B&Bs, a workshop, a photocopy center flanks the alley. At night, the alley is filled with patrons and food in the inner restaurant is reasonable. Fried rice with chicken cost VND41,000 while a Saigon beer cost VND10,000. Point to note here is the alley can put some people off due to personal security concerns but I would put it off as a non event.
(3) Taxis are easily available but do check their credibility even though they agree to use the meter. I understand from the locals that Vinasun (taxi company) is reliable. Normally, the sedan taxis are 20% cheaper than the Toyota Innovar MPVs that can sit more. On the same note, my ride on a sedan taxi from Green Suite to Airport was VND 130,0000 (flagged from the road) while the trip coming in cost us VND 180,000 (taxi coupon purchased at the airport counter). If you want to save some money, be mindful when hailing taxis from the roadside at the exit.
(4) We were fortunate to be checked in by Vincy (or Laang in Vietnamese), a petite young lady who speaks English fluently. Her attention to details were beyond expectations; a case in point was when I requested for the wifi password which was given to me almost immediately and then ending the conversation politely with her offer of assistance should I encounter any log-in problems. To me, these are small efforts that goes a long way.
(5) Lastly, the room, again, for that price, nothing bad to comment about except that the air-condition takes a while to cool the room and if the property owner is reading in, this would be a better review if there are door knob in the bathroom, the tissue holder is fixed and the shower head is properly fasten to the shower hose.
(6) Depending on where I want to go, I will make it a point to come back.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a bed with thick mattresses, this is not the hotel for you. The mattresses th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Since it was my first time to go to HCM, Green Suites Hotel was just recommended to me by a friend. Riding a Vinasun taxi from the airport (costs 200,000 dong) to the hotel, I found myself walking a small street filled with food stalls and motorbikes. Linn at the front desk was courteous as she helped me checked in. My suggestion, ready a photocopy of your passport so that they would not need to get your passport and hold on to it. Avail of the saftey box also so you could secure some of your belongings (e.g. documents, excess money, small netbook/laptop, etc.).

When I arrived at my room located at the 2nd floor, the security guy really helped me bring my luggage. The room was more than what I had expected. Very clean and well-kept. The small ref was also a big bonus to keep my groceries (e.g. chocolates, drinks, fruits, etc.).

Breakfast is served at the 6th floor. Very cozy place for breakfast. The breakfast is great.

Ask the information desk for a map and assistance where to go. They can also help with wifi and local sim inquiries. The hotel is centrally located in District 1 and you can practically walk by foot rather than take a taxi to some of the tourist spots.

SInce I was on a late check out, I also asked for a taxi to go to the airport, they charge me 272,000 dong. I was expensive but the good thing is they assisted me with my bags and I didn't need to hail a cab and haggle with a taxi driver at the road (although the actual taxi meter costs 140,000 dong).

Over-all I would love to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Gosford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The receptionist Thuy Anh, security guard and chef made this a very special place to stay for my wife, three children and me. The rooms are immaculately clean and toiletries well maintained. Whenever I asked for anything, it arrives within minutes.
Thuy Anh saved us a small fortune with her quiet, tactful, well-considered advice. This included an expert opinion on the many sources of great coffee that the city has to offer; where to buy art and how much to pay for it; where to find the best optometrist; even where to find boxing gloves.
Saigon is intoxicating with it fragrance, and the Green Suites meets this challenge with the wonderful smell of pho wafting through the corridors to our rooms every morning. The chef is totally consistent and the six simple dishes are very fresh and tasty, although it is hard to try anything other than the wonderful Pho Ga (chicken).
A room with a balcony is a must, as it is a theatrette for the exciting street life below. There, Trang's seafood is almost unbelievable for its freshness. The balance of flavours is exquisite. Goodness knows where it is cooked, and how they keep the lane from smelling of seafood. Australian's don't seem to manage it back here, even with our sophisticated refrigerators.
Sure the small window in our VIP suite did not provide much of a view, but the room was cool and quiet. And do we ever miss the great programs on Vietnam Television!
After a 16 hour journey from home to the Green Suites, I would have expected to be fairly short tempered, but the calmness of the staff and their respectfulness made the welcome feel very real.
Criticisms of Green Suites say more about the writers than they do about this wonderful little hotel. By law, they have to take passports. It is the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, after all.
Not only did we book for our last few days in Vietnam, but we came back a few days early to make the most of it.
Special thanks to all the wonderful staff of Green Suites.
cảm ơn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

While, individually, these points are not major, in total they represented for us, an attitude where service was second rate:
1. We were given two bottles of fresh water on the first day of our 5 day stay. Buy your own thereafter. All hotels, with this one exception, on our 7 week, 9 city trip, provided fresh water daily.
2. I brought home a bottle of cold beer one evening - the brand and price in the room's mini bar were not to my liking. No bottle opener in the room. Room service were not able to locate a bottle opener in the entire hotel.
3. Operation of the room safe was a mystery - no written instructions were provided, and the very friendly security guy who demonstrated its operation spoke no English whatsoever - so questioning him about aspects of the safe was challenging.
4. The toilet seat was not properly attached - so kept sliding off
5. There were two drinking glasses provided in the room - for the duration of our stay they were neither replaced nor washed. This also is out of kilter with every other hotel.
6. No hand towels provided. Again this is not normal hotel practice.
7. A bathmat was provided - for the first day. We never saw it again after that.
8. Boiled eggs for breakfast arealways hard-boiled. Despite requests for soft boiled eggs, this appeared to be beyond their culinary capacity. In addition both coffee and orange juice are available on the breakfast menu but, if you want both, you have to pay extra.
9. I'm obviously not alone in being uncomfortable at my passport being held. I can certainly sympathise with the need to sight, and take details of the passport, but to use it as security for possible non-payment tells more about the hotel's attitude towards its guests than anything else.
10. Due to an early flight we needed to leave the hotel at 6.15am. The previous night we arranged with the two receptionists at the front desk that they would provide a packaged breakfast for us. Breakfast was an included part of our accommodation. In the morning 'Sorry, the restaurant does not open until 6.30am'. The promises and assurancesof the previous night were empty.
11. The final straw - we enquired at the desk about a taxi to the airport. $15US. Further investigation revealed that the two major taxi companies in HCMC, Mai Linh and Vinson, do the same trip for between $6 and $8. We encountered some language difficulties in explaining the date/time etc of pickup to one of these companies, so requested assistance from the desk in terms of interpretation. They flatly refused as they "did not have a deal with those companies".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bir Jdid, El Jadida, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

the alley way is very busy down to the hotel and it was a bit tricky getting the bags through. The hotel is nice though,room was nicely decorated. Our problem was the heat! The sun must have shone on the wall all day so the heat in the room was incredible, even the bedhead has warm of the touch. And the ac took so long to cool the room down, it also automatically switches off when you remove the key so you always walk in to a hot room.
The breakfast room on the roof was lovely as was the breakfast, although the view was a bit grim, the rooftops of Saigon are just not that pretty.
Just round the corner to all the restaraunts and bars - very lively and so cheap. (Food not the best I have had in Vietnam tho.)
The staff were very helpful, went out of their way to get us bus tickets on the next part of our journey.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Four of us stayed here as part of trip around SE Asia. Our initial impression of the hotel wasn't great. This was mainly caused by the man at reception on the night we arrived. We were used to handing over our passports and having to ask for them back, but he really pushed it too far by insisting we all hand over our passports for the entire stay! We said we'd never had to do this before and he tried to claim that it was a police requirement. Funny how no other hotel in Vietnam tried this with us. I'm aware that it's a police requirement that hotels take their guests' passport details, but not hang on to them for a few days like that!

He also tried to insist that we give him credit card details and allow him to put a charge on the credit card in advance, not as payment for the hotel, this would be separate. We refused this again as we were just not getting a good impression so far. It wasn't mentioned by any other staff member during our stay, nor was keeping the passports.

There was one towel each in the room, with no hand towels in the bathroom. I had to ask 4 separate times to get a hand towel for the room and they were removed again the next day. I've no problem with hostels not supplying hand towels, but surely any hotel does this as standard?

Breakfast was fine, it was in a nice open room at the roof, but it wasn't a restaurant by any stretch of the imagination. The rooms were also good, comfortable beds and small but clean bathroom.

A major problem for us was a tour organised by the hotel to the Cu Chi tunnels. We paid $100 for a driver and guide for the day. The guide, who told us to call him Charlie, was very friendly when he arrived the next day and chatted to us in the car too, filling us in on general information about Vietnam. We couldn't understand the change when we got to the tunnels. He seemed very interested in showing us things that he could physically demonstrate eg weapons, traps etc. When it came to various locations around the place he just told us the name, that we could take some photos, and walked off to the next spot. We were listening to other tour guides fill their groups in on very interesting facts along the way, but we didn't get anything like this.

I didn't go into the tunnels as I felt it would be too claustrophobic for me. I tried to ask Charlie some general questions while I waited for my friends but he just told me to walk down the path to meet them at the tunnel exit. He went off talking to staff working there. I walked down on my own, again hearing great details from other tour guides on my way.

When we got back to the hotel we did complain about the trip but the most they would do was refund $20. I felt this was very poor service, and reflects extremely badly on the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
kevinhuynh, Manager at Green Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
First, we would like to thank you for your stay with us. Second, we are grateful for your review that gives us a chance to explain what happened

1 Basing on our policy, we kept your passport because of two reasons. First, we need your identification information to report to the local police according to Vietnamese police regulation. Second, your passport is a means to secure your payment during your stay at the hotel. If you want to get back your passport, we have to place a hold on your card by verifying it. We will release that hold after you settle your bill. Releasing holds can take some time, so we prefer having your passport until your payment is cleared.
2 We are careful with tour companies. Delta Tours Company has been working with us for a while. Everything had been fine until your complaint was brought to our attention. We called the travel company to request them to solve the problem. They came to our hotel to apologize you. They also gave you a partial refund. Moreover, our manager had a meeting with the owner of that company to discuss this problem further. She promised that it would never happen again. Even though the problem was not caused directly by us, we would like to apologize for your unpleasant experience. Necessarily, we will pay more attention to tour services which the travel companies provide for our guests.

Kevin Huynh (Manager)
kaiapoi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

excellent clean hotel .good location .good security and amennities .I was dissapointed with a tour brought thru the hotel by me with delta tours .I paid 2 nites in mekong .1 homestay +1 in floating hotel .homestay excellent ,tour guide charged me for room which was already paid for plus supposed to get a dinner at floating hotel never got that either wasnt happy

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Green Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!