“Extremely disappointing and unfriendly” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sen Viet Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sen Viet Hotel to your Saves list
Sen Viet Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Cao Thang Street, | Ward 2, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #28 of 354 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Extremely disappointing and unfriendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My partner and I were rebooked into the Sen Viet Hotel after our original hotel was suffering from broken air conditioning. We stayed two night in a standard room, tried the breakfast, did not have massage or any other services.

Sen Viet has possibly the worst set of staff I have come across in Vietnam (I have lived here 9 months and was amazed how unfriendly and unhelpful they were). When we arrived there was not even an acknowledgement of us as the receptionist was busy on their personal phone. Over 5 minutes of waiting later we were checked in with no 'please', 'thanks', or even smile from the receptionist. Even using the lift we had to wait for 2 lifts to go past as the hotel maintenance workers and cleaners decided to jump ahead of us and fill up the lift with their supplies, laughing and again on personal phones, not even caring that paying hotel guests had been waiting. I walked in one day and saw house keeping sitting on my bed watching tv and having a bottle of water. I really struggled to see what I was paying for staying here.

We also asked if we could have a late checkout at 5pm as we had a late flight. First time I asked and the receptionist laughed (yep, really) and said 'only if you pay'. Is it really a funny request? I then asked my Vietnamese friend to phone and help me, but while they were on the phone with the reception my friend could hear the receptionist complaining and joking with one of their colleagues about the request. Desperately unprofessional and gives bad impression of the country to visitors.

The hotel is not convenient compared to district 1 hotels. You have a long walk to get to district 1 and most of the sights and attractions (>30 min walk). We had a motorbike with us, which was fortunate otherwise we would have needed a taxi to go anywhere. In the local area is a busy traffic street with a few small shops and karaokes. Right opposite the hotel is a clothes shop which has electronic music playing at full volume from 8am to 11pm each day. I am not a light sleeper but was woken up by the music both days.

You can spot the hotel from the street only from the sleazy-looking 'Massage' signs that they hotel puts up, as they advertise their massage more than their hotel services. The actual room is normal for what you pay. Would never recommend until they sort themselves out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Senviethotel, General Manager at Sen Viet Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear our valued guest

Warmest greetings from Sen Viet Hotel

Thank you very much for your great review , our new management is well noted for your best contribution. We will take seriously action for the mentioned point and hope that we can well come you again with excellently service in the near future.

Best regards
Nguyen Vu

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I loved to try local hotels when I'm traveling in order to support the local chains while also still booking the ordinary hotel chains to pertain my membership levels. I booked the Executive Room (triple) Sen Viet Hotel using hotelclub because it has jacuzzi and the room is spacious, 35 sq meters. When I arrived and check-into the room, I was surprised that the room is very small. I noticed it because I have been aware with the usual 30-32 sq meters in four or five stars hotel and I think it would be no more than 25-28 sq meters. When I checked the bathroom, I was surprised that there's no jacuzzi inside the bathroom as promised. I asked to the reception and she told me that the executive room is full because they only have two rooms on the executive and they downgraded us to Premium Deluxe WITHOUT INFORMING US when we check-in. The reception said that they would inform the hotelclub about the modification of the booking. The floor in the room is slippery and not good as the website.

Another disappointment that I experienced is I've already e-mailed the hotel manager about the open bus ticket to Phan Thiet and the manager replied in e-mail that would costs 8-10 USD. I got 7.21 USD from online booking but I prefer to use hotel's service in favor of my goodwill to support the hotel that I stayed. Unfortunately, when I asked to the reception, she said that the open bus ticket is 14 USD/person. I showed to her the e-mail from her manager that mentioned 8-10 USD and she said you cannot. Finally, I ended up looking around to the whole HCMC city in the midnight for open bus ticket to Phan Thiet the next morning !!! After two hours I got 110,000 VND/person to Phan Thiet.

When I was checked out, I chose another girl to the reception since I didn't want to remind myself for the whole unpleasant things on the previous night. But the another reception staff told me that I used the extra bed so I would be charged of it. WHAT??? Well, after they dishonored my booking and now they are trying to charge me for what I've already paid for. I told to her that my booking is for three person and actually my original booking is Executive and Premium Deluxe. She said that she's sorry and would like to negotiate to the hotelclub and refund the differences. Well, I think that's not the case. Even if they would refund all the money that I've paid, it won't give our unpleasant night back.

The only good thing in this hotel is the staff at the restaurant. We didn't eat pork, and she inform us which items that contain pork. When my father wrongly taken the food which contain pork, she said that she would cook fish for him. In 10 minutes, she comes again with the mackerel fish for my father. What a pleasant service, extremely different with the staffs in the receptions.

My tips would be: don't book executive room since there's a possibility and don't book any tickets or tour from the hotel since the price would be unreasonable.

Room Tip: Don't book the executive nor the suite !
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This hotel is a great value and has a great location. Not only this, but also the breakfast was good, the staff was nice, and the services were fantatic. Very nice computers in the lobby, comfortable beds. The first morning, we woke to a loud voice on an intercom but then found out it is played every morning throughout the whole city. A very special experience.

Room Tip: I would recomend getting the room at asiarooms.com
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Maroochydore, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The frontdesk staff were very helpful. My wife and I stayed for 3 days in this hotel. I lost my sunglasses, my bag of foreign coins and my wife's bangle and bracelet! This hotel i would never recommend not unless they get rid of that/those housekeeping staff with sticky fingers! We are VERY DISGUSTED coz we tipped them as well!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

We are happy with the hotel service and environment. The hotel massage also not bad. Only USD10 for 60mins body massage. Operated from 10am to 11pm. You also can exchange currency money at hotel reception. Nearby hotel got alot of shoe and fashion boutique for shopping lover. But local language only. Not much know English. There's a cinema at the end corner of hotel. Breadtalk and few cake house opposite hotel as well. Turn right and walk till the end junction, then turn right again. Walk further more then u can choose to cross the street. There's a round about at front. You follow the road and walk through left side. You will see a shopping mall "New Zone".. quite a lot of fashion boutique inside the mall...
The buffet breakfast is good with plenty of choice... Try the yogurt and cream puff.. very good for breakfast...
The hotel room is spacious with Plasma TV. There's lot of tv channel. i love the "Super Home Idol" channel... have non-stop idols programme... singing.. performance... and movie channel as well....
Overall the hotel staffs are friendly and have smile always... I will sure to come back again and recommend to my friends!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

After reviewing the reviews, my family and I booked this hotel assuming that we would have a great experience but apparently that was not the case. Woke up each morning to loud noises and it is right next to a school so it was very loud.Staff were not friendly and courteous at all. We had reserved to stay here for 2 weeks but cut it short and went to another hotel nearby. I could have sworn that my cologne was stolen by the staff member since I was just traveling with my wife and daughters and no one else was led into our room. By the way, when you see a safe in a room..do not trust it. My daughter accidentaly locked the safe and we didn't know what the code was to open it..called front desk and tada..they came and opened up the safe with a master key....Yes a master key. Price is cheap but doesn't mean that its trustworthy. Will never come back and will never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights as a group of 4. The rooms were quite good and the location great. Cabs are easily available. It is located right next to a Karaoke bar and a main road so all you can hear is beeping and 'top 40' songs blasting. The morning receptionist was very 'airy-fairy' as we decided to book an extra night and she forgot to book it. also she told us that various attractions and restaurants were open but when we got there, they were not. We ended up in a conversation with the owners son and he was very helpful with places to go and have fun. The Breakfast needs to be a little better as after the 3 morning we decided that it would be better to go across the road and get great pastries for very cheap.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sen Viet Hotel? Share your experiences!