“Lovely boutique hotel, affordable, perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catina Saigon Hotel

You added Catina Saigon Hotel to your Saves list
Catina Saigon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 Dong Khoi Street, | Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 70000, Vietnam   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #51 of 380 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely boutique hotel, affordable, perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend and when I read up on it, I was a little leery because the hotel site said the rooms had no windows. I ended up getting a room there anyway, and what a pleasant surprise! It's a boutique hotel situated right in the heart of the downtown district 1, walking distance to everything I wanted to do. There are only 6 floors of about 4 rooms each. We ended up with a room with a window anyway, but it looked out into the fire escape so nothing really to see. What shocked me was the size of the room! WOW! It was huge and had a separate nook with a desk, refrigerator, etc. The bathroom was a great size as well! On top of the nicely sized, well appointed room, the service was also great. We checked in to the hotel on my friend's birthday. Neither of us said anything about the birthday, but when we returned to the room after the turndown service, the hotel had put a birthday cake and card in the room for us! It was a large, decadent birthday cake! It was a nice surprise at the end of a long day. The hotel is dual-located with a wine shop and jewelry shop. Our rate didn't include breakfast so we didn't eat in the hotel, but the breakfast was cheap if we wanted to. Overall, a great boutique hotel and definitely one I'd stay in again! Also, free internet is always a plus! If I had to list a CON, I'd say there was a definite lack of hot water in the mornings. The last morning we had to check out at 0500 and had maybe five minutes of lukewarm water. I think this is a systematic problem through all of Vietnam though because I noticed it in other hotels I stayed in as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel is really well located and for the price of the hotel you can't really go wrong. You can walk to the shops and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The rooms were pretty big and ours had no window - curtains on the wall but no actual window - strange - on the plus side you did sleep well! The rooms are pretty clean and have a safe, toiletries, good sized bathroom etc. The staff were really nice and helpful and even booked our trip to the Cu Chi tunnels for us at very late notice (which was excellent). You have to walk past a jewellery shop and wine bar to reach the reception desk beyond - which some may find odd but we liked having the wine bar there for a nightcap! Breakfast was really good nothing overly fancy but it had all the usual suspects to cater for all tastes and more.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Having reserved a room at the Catina and paid in full (in August) for a stay in November I arrived late in the evening and was told there was no record of my booking and that the hotel was full. I could see my name on a list while peering over the desk so my suspicion is that the hotel was over-sold, my room was given away and they were lying to me.

After much stress trying to deal with the reception staff (in their poor English) and the travel agent in Australia a room was found for me for one night (the Catina staff tried to charge me extra for the room which I refused to pay) but no room was available (although I still doubt this) for the second night and the hotel agent had to find me a different hotel. This caused much inconvenience for me in having to move hotels after 1 night.

While the room I stayed in for one night at the Catina was acceptable (apart from a leaking shower, temperamental taps and a faulty safe) I found the staff generally to be quite rude and the breakfast offered was quite pitiful given what is normally provided at equivalent standard hotels.

I would not recommend this hotel or support a business which is clearly so dishonest and disorganised. There are plenty of other hotels in the Dong Khoi area that are better than this.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel. Rooms overlooking Dong Khoi are noisy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

A chic boutique hotel right in the middle of busy dong khoi street.You can walk to a lot of Saigon's attractions from the hotel such as the Saigon Opera House, Reunification Palace, Central Post Office, Ben Tanh Market, and the Ferry Terminal. If you're there to shop, Catina is also close to the Tax Department Store, Parkson, and Vincom Center (try the Emporio Armani Cafe!). The Sheraton is across the street, but Who would ever want to stay there if they can get the same experience at Catina for a third of the price?

We stayed in a twin room on the fifth floor which had no windows (we didn't really mind as we were only in the room after the tours and to sleep.) The room was spacious and clean. It had all the necessarry amenities you would need for an enjoyable stay. They even serve a small bowl of fruits for you when you check in.

The breakfast spread was a decent offering of local favorites and western staples. You can expect to see cereals, smoked bacon, and pork sausages mixed with dimsum, pho, and tropical fruits.

Overall, Hotel Catina Saigon exceeded our expectataions and we will not hesitate to recommend it to our friends and family.

NC

PS - A special shoutout goes out to Rose who made sure our stay was enjoyable and hassle-free.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Small, clean hotel, conveniently located. Streets facing rooms are more expensive and can be a little noisier. I have stayed here for more than 150 nights and always found staff very courteous and helpful. Taxis from the local market at Bin Thanh can be a pain and try to charge way, way over the metered rate but you can haggle down or just walk - say 10 mins.

Bin Thanh and the shops closer to hotel offer some nice inexpensive gift options. Particularly good are the sets of chopsticks and Pho bowls.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid the street-facing rooms as they can be noisy
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights. It is a clean, modern, and decent hotel. Hotel price is above average but the service is definitely a 5-star service. Front office, house keeping, technician, bell boy and waitress are all very helpful. Bell boy offered us umbrella when it's raining outside, i find it is a nice touch. Catina is close (walking distance) to all the major attractions in Districts 1. Will definitely go back to this hotel. :-)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Great location, on trendy Dong Khoi Street, with the sea front at one end, and the opera house and a HUGE shopping mall at the other. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but try getting one with a real window! The hotel is narrow, with a handful of rooms overlooking the street. The rest are interior, with either fake windows, or windows overlooking a narrow light well. The restaurant, thankfully, overlooks the street, and the breakfast buffet is very good, as are the other meals.

Room Tip: When reserving, if you want a room with a window, good luck! We were promised one, but they did not...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Catina Saigon Hotel? Share your experiences!