“Customer satisfaction, unknown territory” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #443 of 1,567 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Customer satisfaction, unknown territory”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Complicated restaurant to deal with. Expensive by vietnamese standards, it' a very average restaurant to begin with. Average food, expensive prices, insufficient service. It's a tourist spot, full of non- vietnamese customers (which is for a local restaurant not a good sign), and that does not meet the standards of tourists expectations, except for the fares. Forget it and please go elsewhere.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“nice environment with average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

we were the on a Saturday night in an almost empty restaurant. Nice ambiente wirh good music, starters were good but mains underwelmng. the whole very espensive. not to be recommended.

Visited September 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“overall disapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

First good impression
the promise of spending a night a Maxim's for diner and show got my wife smiling the all day.
the entrance is a the level of the expectation. We are in a high Vietnamese place for fine cuisine and great show.

Good impression did not last long
once sitting, the grade falls down. The service is not the one we could expect from such place.
the menu comes in pieces. it looks old, dirty and pages are falling down.
we saw on their web site some set meals on which I already almost made my mind for a Vietnamese food experience.

Set Meal?
No set meals comes with the menu presented. I had to ask for it. I felt I was bothering the waiter with such question. 5 good minutes later, for us sitting at the table it seems an eternity, simple A4 size office paper printed in black like an office memo were put on the table.
none of the set meal I saw on the net was there. I was considering a meal at 500,000 VND. but the set meals proposed here starts at 750,000 VND.
we ending up by choosing 3 courses for both of us.

WINE?
The menu mentioned Wine but there is no wine list. I was about to ask for it but simply forgot then when it came back to my mind it was too late within the course of the diner.

Show
the show that supposed to entertain us is very poor. 4 ladies dancers of Vietnamese traditional dance. I have attended many shows so far. those performers are surely Ligue 2.
the band that takes over almost right after plays some jazz standards without passion.
we are very far from the Jazz Club Sax'n Art. Even if I don't like all their songs, I am entertained by their stage play and the vibration they create in the room.
Worse. when the band is done playing, you see the artist in cost handling their helmet on the way back home. this happens on stage. right in front of guests eating. where is the oriental atmosphere Maxim's promised to us?

FOOD
we ordered Pomelo Prawns and Pork salad, baked clams and baked mushrooms in ceramic pot with green peppers sauce.
the first dish was not fine dining for sure. the pomelo comes by itself and the salad is inside. around the pomelo petals of vietnemses crackers.
the pomelo is no shreded and comes in big chunks, the prawns belongs surely to the smallest category of prawns. Street sellers got bigger ones. the pork is ok.
Because the pomelo is just cut in big chunk, it occupies almost all the space of the salad. it makes us feel we eat a pomelo with just a bit of peanuts, very small prawns and pork.
the 2 other dishes were ok but could not be qualified as fine Vietnamese cuisine.

2 points that tells us it should be fine cuisine :
- the decoration. very nice creating a very high end atmosphere
- the bill. the food is quite expensive. probably 3 times what would we pay in casual restaurants like Ngon. unfortunately, the ingredients, the recipe are not at this level.

I sincerely feel bad for the manager who kindly asked us once if we enjoy our meal. sincerely, I would like to tell him all of this. but for what? it would have spoiled the atmosphere at the table of our couple. not sure I could change anything in this institution open since 1925.
So I preferred to remain silent and just said "that's ok".

we have no plan to come back.

Check also my review about the Maxim's bar upstairs...

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Australia
“Good food but poor floor show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The food was quite good and the service was exceptional. The restaurant is decorated beautifully in traditional vietnamese style (upmarket). On arrival there was a quatet playing which was really lovely and added to the atmosphere. Then came the dancers! Not wanting to take away their gracefulness and ability , but it was woeful. We had been told it was traditional, but it was far from it. The gilrs were wearing sparkly dresses and although their moves were graceful, it's hard to do tradtional dances to pop music! The management would be better sticking to the extremely talented musicians and ditching the dancers.

Visited July 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious but enough for ten!! (not four)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our hotel recommended this as a good quality Vietnamese restaurant, and was handy just around the corner. English wasn't so good with the waiters but the menu was numbered so made it easier. We (4-pax) started with a shared entree of a variety of vietnamese rolls which were superb, however the quantity was delivered for four people not one as we thought we had requested so there ended up being way too much food! The mains were large portions also, especially the Specialty Hot Pot (seafood and chicken) which could have fed ten people. Chicken curry was divine, soup dish tasty, pork dish average. Wine was good but expensive for a middle of the road Ausi red. Random jazz band played live, followed by lovely Vietnamese dancers but it was all a bit odd; kind of Caberet-style.

• Visited April 2013