Let me preface this review by saying that my family and I did NOT expect 5 star accommodations for a 3 star price. We were fully prepared for an outdated room, occasional bugs due to the tropical climate in Vietnam, and bellhops who don't smile. As long as the room is clean, area is safe and the service staff somewhat friendly that's perfect for us.
However, my family and I checked out after only 3 days even though we had intended to stay for 2 weeks. (We ended up at Tan My Dinh, which was a great experience.) Our reasons for leaving were:
1) ANTS! We were shuffled in and out of 3 different rooms on the 7th floor (we only booked 2) and each one had ants running all over the writing desk and walls.
2) HORRIBLE reservation service. We had pre-paid for 2 Premium Deluxe rooms, but upon arrival was told that those rooms were sold out, so we would be upgraded to Suites. Fine. However, the next day we were moved to a Deluxe room (lower rate than a Premium Deluxe) because all the Premium Deluxe rooms were sold out. And, we would have to pay $9 extra to keep the Suite.
Needless to say, it was a frustrating conversation. After we left the counter, the guest behind me received the same speech. They would upgrade him for free then move him around when a Deluxe room becomes available.
3) Hallways are NOT air-conditioned, which probably contributed to the horrible ants problem.
4) Passports are NOT in a locked box. You're asked to surrender your passport upon check-in to deter guests from leaving without paying, which we were okay with. However, we soon found out that the passports were placed in a drawer that is unlocked and easily accessible by anyone. BIG SECURITY RISK!
5) Dirty towels. We came back from a long day of roaming the city and found that housekeeping did not provide us with bath towels. Fine. We called the front desk and a bellhop brought up two towels, but they were dirty, damp and one had what appeared to be a blood stain.
Another reason why we left, but was not a result of the hotel is the location. The hotel is across the street from Bitexco, but that's about it. Ben Thanh Market is a 15-20 minute walk away, which is not a problem until you realize that crossing the street is a real life game of Frogger. This is NOT an ideal place for families with young children or the elderly that want to explore the area on foot.
Some good points about this hotel are:
1) Breakfast is complimentary and they offer a decent assortment, including pho.
2) Wait staff is very friendly. They'll help cook your meals and clear your table quickly.
3) Bellhop is quick to help with your bags.
Overall, I wish we had the same experience as other guests who stayed here. I highly recommend Tan My Dinh, which is similarly priced.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Tan Hai Long Hotel 3 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.