“Chic Ethnic Cuisine” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Jomtien Beach, Thailand
“Chic Ethnic Cuisine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Ethnic cuisine is probably not a politically correct descriptor, but the food and environment isn't quite Western.

Location/Getting There: Turn into a side street from a busy one, pass several apartment blocks, hundreds of parked motorbikes and a cinema to the end of a cul-de-sac and arrive at a large courtyard with simulated green wicker chairs and tables under the cover of umbrellas and trees ornamented with fairy lights.

Atmosphere/Decor: Patrons not interested in eating outdoors in the courtyard can sit in the verandah underneath the European style building overlooking the courtyard or sit in an air-conditioned indoor dining room looking into the street (with parked motorbikes).

Service: Since my partner and I were the only patrons at the restaurant, we basically had each a private waiter for either of us (early in the evening on a Monday). The waiters were not overly attentive/hovering but were prompt when waved to come over to our table. We tried to ask for green rice (the restaurant's namesake) and were served white rice instead. I still haven't figured out if this was due to the staff's limited English or they really. didn't have green rice. Table service included one spoon and a pair of chopsticks. Since there were no napkins (paper or linen), we were offered two limp, thin, damp towelettes (and later to find from the bill that each towelette cost 2,000VND ~ 0.10 USD)

Food, Cost and Quality: I ordered an avocado milk shake, which was absolutely scrumptious (90,000VND ~ 4.5USD). For entree, I ordered baked H'mong chicken. It arrived (at the same time as my partner's food) in very large crock pot (very impressive). However, as I picked through the contents of the crock pot, I realize that the contents were half herbs while the other half black chicken skin, bones and very little meat (295,000VND ~ 14.5USD). The little meat that I was able to consume was not overly pungent but extremely fragrant. It reminded me of medicine from a Chinese apothecary.

Conclusion: I probably won't go back to the restaurant or recommend my friends to go there for a meal (I might consider going back for the avocado shake). The atmosphere is very chic, but I felt I didn't get much bang for my dong!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“'Com Xanh - Green Rice Restaurant, a real gem in central Saigon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

I discovered a great restaurant on my recent trip to Ho Chi Minh city. It's called Com Xanh - Green Rice Restaurant and is located in District 1, in the central / downtown area.

I went thefore for breakfast one day, and love it so much that I ended up going back there at different points to try their lunch and dinner!

For breakfast I tried the delicious freshly made rice pancakes... the lady who makes them is known by the staff as the 'Pancake Queen'!! she sits on her stool and makes pancake after delicous pancake!! Also can recommend their fresh fruit juices... strawberry was my favourite.

Lunch time is great, as the large terrace where most of of the tables are is shadowed by a large 100 year old tree, which keeps you cool.

Then at dinner the place has a wondeful atmosphere... strings of fairy lights hang from the large tree, with the terraced area being atmoshperically lit. The sound of the manmade waterfall and the live music that they seem to have their every evening make the ambience enchanting! In terms of food, my favourite had to be the spring rolls... but there were so many lovely things to chose from. I was also happy / and amazed to see that they have one of my favourite French wines on their wine list... the red Pinot Noir by 'Bouchard Pere & Fils'!

Whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner I can highly recommend this restaurant.. very friendly, efficient service, great food and atmosphere! I think I would definitely have a preference for dinner tho due to the lovely atmosphere!

Here is the address:

Com Xanh - Green Rice Restaurant
6 Thai Van Lung St
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

(not far from theatre, Park Hyatt Hotel, Continental Hotel, Caravelle hotel etc)