“Trip to HCM” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Northern Hotel Saigon

You added Northern Hotel Saigon to your Saves list
Northern Hotel Saigon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Thi Sach St, BenNghe Ward, Dist.1, Ho Chi Minh City 00848, Vietnam   |
Ranked #148 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Shanghai, China
“Trip to HCM”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Lobby was small and more 3.5 star level. Checkin was ok, elevator was slow. No aircon in elevator or hallway in the rooms. Room assigned was huge, king bed with a sofa set that can sit 3 persons. Bathroom had a large round jacuzzi. Overall room was functional, clean and large. Aircon was ok.

Breakfast was good but not much selection, mostly asian choices.

Overall, good value for money. I paid less than 90 usd per night and my laundry cost 6.66 use!!! and I had quite a bit of clothing.

Location is great in district 1, and the main shopping area is just round the corner.

Good stay and will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tan-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Northern Hotel Group Traveler,
Xin chao!
Good morning from sunny Saigon.
Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive comment on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that your overall stay with us was satisfactory and trust that you have enjoyed the comforts of the Hotel.
My valued guest, in synergy to raise our Hotel in a higher level and meet all distinguished guest’s need, we did the renovation in June/2013, the Hotel maintained air condition system, changed all wall paper in room, corridor and lobby, changed mattress cover…etc This may cause you inconvenience when you are in lobby without cool & fresh wind.
At present, everything in perfect condition, and we are already to welcome you back in the coming time, to show you how new we are now.
Again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and feedback on your experience and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance.
Best regards,
dobd@northernhotel.com.vn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here after it being recommended by Lonely Planet. HCM City was our last destination in Vietnam and on arriving from an early flight we were charged $30 for early check in, which we had not encountered at any of our other hotels. Considering we hardly seen any other people during our stay I felt the fee was unjust as the room was clearly not occupied the previous night.

Our room was stifling hot when we arrived and we had problems with AC going on and off throughout our stay. The hotel advertises a roof top bar, which was closed on our first night and when we went up on the second night it was very grim with no lighting/ music, and the bar girl looking like she would rather be elsewhere. The general unfriendliness of reception staff was not what we experienced with other places.

I would recommend somewhere a little more friendly with a pool to cool off after a hot HCM City day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tan-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear OsloSquare,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Northern Hotel Saigon. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very concerning. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail with you, so that I may be able to follow up appropriately. My contact details are below and I would be delighted to hear from you.

Tran Duong Tan
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed in the Northern Hotel while in Vietnam on our honeymoon, it is a lovely hotel, very clean. Queen size bed, lounge chair, big bathroom comprising with shower, toilet sink. Excellent a/c that ran constantly when we where in the room.

Food and service was great.

It is in a dark area of town so be careful of your things when walking around at night.

The room had a safe that you could enter your own pin combination.

It was within walking distance of a 24/7 deli for buying bottled water.

Also within walking distance of some of Ho Chi Minh City attractions including the Oprah house and central market

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Meganstar,

Xin chao!
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying the Northern Hotel Saigon for your honeymoon in Ho Chi Minh City.
I am very happy to hear that the hotel looked after your needs well, and your comments in regards to our room facilities, it is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon and please feel free to email personally and we shall assure your booking is all in good order

Yours sincerely,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

The Northern is safe and clean and in a very good location. So good that taxi drivers will take the long way to get back there, it's about a 25000 dong ride to Ben Thanh. We were getting about a 50000 dong trip as the drivers took us around the block several times. It is a pleasant 15 minute stroll either down the river and then up to the market, or via the Opera house and the Rex. So why only 3 dots?

For starters this place is really noisy. The sound of chairs and other furniture being scraped on the floors above travels all the way through at least the next floor down if not further. The staff tend to call to each other down the hallways as they move through cleaning and that can be annoying as it starts quite early. The breakfast was poor, I know things are always dearer in the cities but for less money per night we stayed at the Novotel in Nha Trang and the breakfasts were incredible compared to the Northern. The breads were stale, the potatoes cold and they didn't replace stuff very often. Finally, we went to the bar upstairs and were stoked with the view. You have to go to the roof bar for a drink and a look. HOWEVER, we ordered a few drinks, I asked for a rum, there was some on the shelf behind the bar. The bar lady went out the back, not taking the beautiful dark spiced rum with her, and returned with the so called rum in a glass with ice and coke on the side. The rum she had provided me was clear, not the rum I had asked for and it certainly didn't taste like rum ( even the clear version). So what was the drink I was given? When I enquired about it the lady feigned ignorance and went out the back of the bar.

All tolled I didn't find the staff as friendly as others have. The weather was stinking hot so maybe everyone was just hot and bothered. Topping things off our room didn't get cleaned one day, no drama for us but we wanted new towels, we made four calls to reception, all unanswered. There was a trolley in the hallway so we took them off that.
Room service was excellent, the Thai restaurant around the block is awesome, there are convenience stores handy to here but due to the location it is cheaper to catch a taxi to the backpacker area for a meal than it is to walk to a handy restaurant near the Northern. We will probably try somewhere else next time but if you want great location, basic amenities and comfortable rooms give it a go. If you are only in Saigon for a shopping trip or a few nights this should suit you well.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KiwiMedic,

Xin Chao!

First of all, we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and comments on the TripAdvisor.
I would like to apologize for not being able to provide you with the efficient yet pleasurable experience you may expect, and I am sure that your feedback will be raise up to the next staff meeting to be improved
We are working towards improving our operation and your views are a valued source of information. Indeed your comments will be again discuss on our next operation meeting in order to review and provide an appropriate training to our staff to keep up their standard.
I hope that you will give us one more opportunity next time you are visiting Ho Chi Minh City and please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist in any way.
Wishes you and family a health & happiness!

Yours sincerely!
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for our last night. Took one of the cheaper rooms but it was still really nice. This hotel is easily as good as most 4-star hotels in the UK and the price is very good. Breakfast was included and very good. The staff were helpful, arranged taxis and let us checkout late. The hotel is close to the centre and in quite a nice area with a few bars nearby. I would recommend staying here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BristolDave001,

Xin Chao!

Thank you very much for your great comment about our Hotel and the extremely room, breakfast, location and friendly staffs. I will be sure to share these with all my staffs. Lovely comments like these as a great motivation for us to continue offering the excellent service we are always focusing on.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the nearest future.

Kind regards,
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Solid stay. Room is clean, I feel safe there, and the staff are friendly. Great bed and bedding. Very low key - I get what I need without the swarming over-attentiveness of other hotels in the area. Breakfast is decent for being included. The fitness room leaves a bit to be desired. It's passable, but I've been going for runs outside (good luck with the scooters) or climbing the stair wells. The neighborhood is fantastic. The restaurants around the corner on Le Tahnh Tron street are great - crepe place, Le Bahn Mi and dozen others. There's a natural foods store around the corner that is pretty great. You can't beat the location and price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dave D D,

Xin Chao
Thank you for your positive message here on TripAdvisor!
I am so happy to hear that the Hotel looked after your needs well. It is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.

Best regards
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband comes to Ho Chi Minh frequently and this is his hotel. They are always welcoming. The service, the breakfasts, the Vietnamese coffee's! Always great! Great value for you money. Really good location in district one!
Upon our return from traveling north, not only did they upgrade us to a suite, but they upgraded our friends, as well! See why we love them? Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
tranduongtan, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Insfavorite,

Xin chao!
Good afternoon from sunny Saigon!
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying at Northern for your recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City. I am very happy to hear that the Hotel looked after all your expectation. It is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back again soon and please feel free to email personally and we shall ensure your booking is all in good order.
With warmest regards,

dobd@northernhotel.com.vn

Been to Northern Hotel Saigon? Share your experiences!