“overall a good hotel to stay but....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seventy Hotel

Save Saved
You added Seventy Hotel to your Saves list
Seventy Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Bui Vien St., Dist.1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Formerly Phan Lan Hotel)   |
Ranked #33 of 351 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Singapore, Singapore
“overall a good hotel to stay but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights. Room is small but clean and come with breakfast. I rated it a four because of an unpleasant incident with a senior staff...

My friend and I had to get to the ferry terminal early morning to catch the 630am ferry to VT. So we asked the hotel staff to arrange a taxi to send us to the ferry terminal since my friend and I don't speak Vietnamese. And he got us a taxi for VND 250k! Only to find out later - he actually paid the taxi driver VND 50K!

We confronted the staff when we got back to the hotel. A friendly hotel staff turned into an ugly beast. He said: So what you want me to do? refund you huh? I told him firmly that we appreciate his assistance and we can pay him a small fee for his assistance, but not VND 250K and he threw back VND 100K to us. A friendly hotel staff turned hostile.

My friend and I felt very intimidated by his hostile attitude and even when we left for Mui Ne, we did not leave our baggage in the hotel for fear of any retaliation from him.

No, I wouldn't stay here again if I were to come back to Saigon...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent only one night there, but we really enjoyed our stay. Room was very small, but it was very clean and nice. Bed was very comfy also. And for the very first time, we actually had hot shower in the room. Service was very good too and they really want to help customers to find the best shopping places. Location was awesome! But rooms were still quiet, we didn't hear any noises from the street. Great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over Dec-Jan and it was excellent. The location is perfect; right in the middle of the backpackers area in District 1. If you are happy walking 3-4km, there is no need to get a taxi for anything. The staff were wonderful in advising us of things to do in Ho Chi Minh and provided us with maps of the local area.

We used the agent in the hotel to book a trip to Cu Chi tunnels. Unfortunately we did not enjoy the trip at all but I think this was more the trip itself than the agent - the price and service they offered was the same as all the other agents we visited in Ho Chi Minh but we were not happy because they had 43 people to 1 guide on the trip and the guide was useless so would not recommend this - try find an agent who takes you in a minibus so you have less tourists per guide.

The room itself was clean and comfortable with plenty of amenities. Toiletries, towels and a hairdryer were provided and boiling water was available on request. The shower was an electric one with hot water 24 hours. Initially we were allocated a room without a window but requested to move which they happily did from the 2nd night onwards. Unfortunately the best rooms are at the front where it is a lot of noise from the street, the medium size ones do not have a window and those facing the back are tiny. We went for the one at the back as we hate not having natural light. However, for the price we paid for the room, we were happy despite the size.

We were at the hotel for new years eve and the staff threw a wonderful party in the evening with unlimited BBQ food, chips and beer - all at no extra cost! This was a lovely gesture and gave us a good opportunity to get to know the staff and other travellers.

We had a wonderful stay at Seventy Hotel and would recommend it to any other travellers visiting Ho Chi Minh,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

This little hotel is a great place to stay.

As a solo traveller my room although a little small was fine for
Me travelling alone. The staff were amazing and nothing was ever too much trouble. My airport pick up was there and so easy. I booked two tours. One of them
I didn't make but they have me a full refund which I wasn't expecting.

Overall a great location, great friendly staff and a good value for money. I would stay here again easily.

• Stayed December 2012
Copenahgen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Clean decent rooms, good breakfast.

The staff tries to give good service. They try and often end up not doing so: e.g. my airport pickup was not there, and I called the hotel which directed me to the airport gate. I went there and tried again to find the driver several times for 30min, and ended up having to take a cab. The pickup was refunded

Don't use the travel agent in the hotel for trips further than HCMC/Saigon or Mekong delta. I booked a Halong bay tour and was VERY disappointed.

Room Tip: Pick a regular room, as these are the most quiet with window to the back (also the smallest ones, bu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here twice when in Vietnam. The girls that work there are extremely nice and helpful, they supply a basic free breakfast, it's in a great location in the backpackers district, the rooms are small but clean and have the comfiest beds that I found in all of Vietnam. Excellent Value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

A strategic place to stay and located at district 1. Small room but clean and comfortable with the air-cond and water heater but there is no kettle, if you need a hot water you can alway ask from the kitchen. Breakfast is not buffet, you have to order from menu and they will prepare for you. Definately will come here again. The towel can be a bit tiny though.

Room Tip: if you want to avoid noise dont stay at the rooms facing the road.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Seventy Hotel? Share your experiences!