“Solid for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hong Vy 1 Hotel

Hong Vy 1 Hotel
You added Hong Vy 1 Hotel to your Saves list
Hong Vy 1 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   223 Hai Ba Trung Street , District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #180 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Solid for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hotel is in a great location, 10-20 mins from War Remnants, Reunification Palace and Notre Dame. Road is insanely busy although we had a room in centre of hotel, but with natural light limited to a window in a shaft. Not an issue, we were not there during the day and at night heard no noise from street. Read review about animals in the ceiling....we can not be sure. To us the noises seemed to coincide with the evening rain, certainly not all night long and of no concern.
Air con (after warm up delay) TV, kettle, bed, bathroom etc all good. Breakfast included in our room rate and was a feast, although Vietnamese style. Front desk spoke enough English.

Room Tip: A room not on the busy main road if a light sleeper.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

When I arrived. Hotel staff came and helped with my luggage. Receptionist took my Agoda booking voucher and my passport. Most hotels in Vietnam keep your passport.

The room size was good for a single traveller. I booked a twin bed room even though i was alone as it was the cheapest room with a window but the window is a fake window. When opened, it is still within the building. No fresh air could have entered the room. Fortunately, the toilet had a small window which was kept open.

Plenty of electricity points. LAN connection works so please bring your nano wifi router to get connected to all your gadgets and laptops.

My room was 506. Came with daily breakfast. Breakfast was nice but not warm. Breakfast is served from 7am to 9am only. They do not refill food items that have finished so do be early. This hotel's 9am end of breakfast time is the shortest I know of in the world. But the hotel receptionist has already "warned" you.

This hotel ONLY gives you TWO 250ml bottles of water when you check-into your room. They do not give you any more bottles of water no matter how long you stay. I do not like this practice and because of this, I will not stay in Hong Vy 1 hotel ever again. This is beyond stingy. Greed. Hong Vy 1 hotel should rethink their business strategy. Losing business over a few bottles of water that may cost them US$0.10 each. This is not a USD10-USD20 backpackers hostel. 3 stars! but who gave them the 3 stars?

I can forgive the advertised window in room. I can forgive the awkward shower & bath tub. I can forgive that the aircon takes 10-15 mins to cool the room to a comfortable cool but I cannot forgive the water "treatment" or the lack of it.

Room Tip: pay more for a room with a real window.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Northallerton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Positives

Staff were reasonably friendly
Breakfast is included
Our rooms were clean and spacious
Not too much noise from outside
Taxi in to town only cost 30-50VND

Negatives
Milk at breakfast curdled in the tea, staff brought a new jug but this did the same
Toast was nice but dry as butter is not provided
Had to ask twice for a laundry collection (annoying as I was only there 3 nights and it takes a while to come back due to drying time, so they said)
They tried to charge me twice for my laundry (I imagine as I had rang twice for it to be collected)
Laundry is priced per item so cost 245VND (the same load done by weight in Nha Trang hotel cost me 36VND as was mostly underwear which is very small per item so did not weigh much)
They provide a printer at the communal computers but it did not work. They offered me to email them the item I wanted printing but I needed a bank statement for my entry to Aus so could not email it, nor did I want to. Staff member was looking at the screen while my statement was up.
On the last night my sister and I asked to move room as there was something scurrying around in the ceiling above us and the bathroom ceiling tiles were loose so we thought whatever it was may fall in. It was loud enough that it kept waking us when we were asleep. We rang reception around midnight to explain and the man came up to the room (107) but he did not understand what we were saying. He kindly aloud us to move room but he gave us some expressions that suggested he thought we were complaining about nothing as the noise stopped when he came in. The replacement rooms (106) air conditioning was so loud we had to sleep with it off and so spent the night sweating. Also, this room was just across from the room we moved from and we could still hear the animal, although it was not as loud so we figured it was unable to get above our new room.

Overall the staff were good, they were friendly until there was an issue then everything seemed hard work. I would not stay here again and I could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: not 106 as air con is really loud and shower over bath goes everywhere not 107 unless they have sor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The rooms are not spacious. Barely room to move. We got a room at the back, so was saved from the busy street noise. No hot water, and twice found a dead cockroach on the floor. Didn't try the breakfast, but no need with the fantastic street food below and nearby.

Room Tip: Stay towards the back
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Mas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I booked this room on-line through Orbitz, so I expected that I might not get exactly what was featured in the website. However, I never expected the advertisement to be completely different from the actual location. The location was farther away from downtown than advertised, the room was a windowless box with a dirty bathroom and poorly functioning shower. Worst of all, there was power for only about half the day I stayed there before finding a better hotel for half the price on Bui Thi Xuan Street. To make things worse, the staff were push and unpleasant. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if my life depended on it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

The hotel arranged for a pick up at the airport which did not appear. It is quite disconcerting for girls waiting round for a pick up at the aiport when there are loads of taxi men hounding you for lifts. I called the hotel and they said just to get a taxi which really annoyed me. So we paid over for the taxi after arranging a pick up. Then they had my booking all wrong and the guy behind the desk was so rude was laughing at me. We paid 40 USD for a room with a camp bed for the extra person but it wasn't even made up for our arrival. So this creepy guy came in with the bed and tried to make up the bed. He took so long doing this i just told him to leave and he had the gut to ask for a tip!! Breakfast the next day was awful - there was aints crawling all over the bread and fruit. The only good thing about this hotel experience was the coffee. I would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
North California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

This is a two-star hotel, but I felt I was in a three-star one. The staff were friendly and honest. You have to be fast if you even want to tip! The breakfast was the best hotel-breakfast I had in Vietnam.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hong Vy 1 Hotel? Share your experiences!