“Mediterranean Delights” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Skewers

Skewers
9A Thai Van Lung Street, District 1 | 9A Thái Văn Lung, Q.1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
+84 8 3822 4798
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 1,381 restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Located near the Opera House, Caravelle and The Park Hyatt Hotel (5 minutes walk). Skewers has been open since July of 2000. The restaurant has 2 level, ground floor with 30+ seating, bar area and open kitchen. 1st floor with 12 tables, plus a cigar/smoking lounge. Skewers is open for lunch and dinner only. From 11:30 to 2pm and 6pm to 11pm. The kitchen last order is at 10:30pm. The restaurant is good for groups, wine tasting, lunch, special dinner, entertaining clients, romance, delivery and reservation.
Toulouse, France
“Mediterranean Delights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This restaurant has consistently attracted positive reviews for its food and the night we visited we had to agree that the simple, unpretentious food, is the defining quality of what they serve, reflecting the mixes, smells and flavours of the Mediterranean. The menu introduces dishes with the pungent, earthy flavours of garlic, onion, eggplant and olive oil. The chefs have refined some traditional favourites by reducing the fat content but still retaining the zesty, tempting aromas and robust flavours that are the symbols of Mediterranean fare.

The menu is diverse enough to accommodate vegetarian and non- vegetarian diners and as our party of three included both we decided to order a mix of dishes to share that would please all tastes. The traditional Lebanese dips lend itself well to this style of eating and for our entrée we ordered a mixed dips platter (VND250,000) from which you can choose a choice of four from a much longer list. We agreed on the babaghanoush, a salsa, hummus and tzaziki which were served with a choice of pita bread and those delicious Vietnamese Rice Crackers (Banh Trang Me or Banh Da). The eggplants in the babaghanoush must have been cooked in a very smoky fire as the flavour was very strong and not attractive to one of our party but all the dips tasted freshly made and were attractively presented. This was followed by a dish of sizzling shrimps with pan- fried eggplant, zucchini, capers and garlic in a white wine butter sauce (VND200,000), a great way to serve shrimps if a little rich; spinach and cheese spanakopita, a traditional Greek pie of spinach mixed with feta, goat and cream cheese baked in filo pastry (VND150,000); grilled marinated vegetables which included capsicums, eggplants, zucchini and tomatoes among others (VND140,000); and Saganaki another traditional Greek dish which gets its name from the type of pan used to fry the cheese, in this case it was feta but it can refer to haloumi or other types of Greek cheese, these are served with a squeeze of lemon and a grind of black pepper. This is a great way to enjoy food and generates a feeling of camaraderie as we wipe the flavours from the bowls with fresh oven baked bread, olive oil dripping down our chins. The restaurant has a very extensive wine range which includes choices from just about every country you can mention, we settled for a MacCrostie Chardonnay from the Sonoma Valley (USA) (VND800,000) which complimented our food choices perfectly. Service is good, efficient and friendly, so if you want to drift away for just a short while to enjoy the delights of the Mediterranean, try Skewers. They also do takeaway – check out eat.vn

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gray, Maine
“Service was lousy, food pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had what appeared to be a very raw recruit serving us tonight. He didn't know how to open a bottle of wine, screwed up our mains badly but otherwise was eager. Obviously very poor training. As most know, one of the things that really ticks the box with me is when the owner/manager stops by to minimally ask how things are. Not happening at Skewers, at least not at our table of 5. I did notice someone of apparent authority wandering about chatting it up with westerners, but avoiding contact with our table. Oh well, I guess we were just not bautiful enough for him. Starters were brilliant and so-so. The sizzling shrimp was not (sizzling) however it was the hit of the night with taste. The beef carpaccio was mediocre, nothing special. We also tasted some roasted veggies which were OK, not over the top. The mains came all beautifully presented and quite tasty I think. Lamb shank, Chicken something or other, chicken skewer, rib eye and blackened sea bass. Enough food to feed a mid sized village (that would be compliment for some, criticisim for others so I'll just leave it in neutral). Wine list was OK but in my very humble opinion, $25 for a so-so Malbec was maybe a tad too rich. However we did swill 4 bottles so it was obviously not dreck. Ambiance was OK until the juicer was turned on (frequently) and then you couldn't hear yourself think. It obviously needs a muffler. I didn't pay the bill, I was a guest, but the prices looked very reasonable for what you get. Anyone looking for backpacker prices, please, head for Pham Ngu Lao, not the heart of food heaven in Saigon. Plus: Blackened Sea bass gets my taste buds attention, prices ok,"Sizzling Shrimp" appetizer a must. Downside: lousy service from rookie waiter with poor training, muffle the juicer. Owner: please don't lecture me about not telling you or someone about the down sides, I was a guest and not about to embarass my hosts. This was my second journey to Skewers and will not be my last.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice, but Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Skewers has a nice atmosphere and pretty friendly service, but the food is pretty average... not really worth complaining about, except that you can eat the same things elsewhere in Saigon without spending half what you do at skewers!

Visited September 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Very welcoming a little touch of home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

If you want a little bit of western cuisine after several nights of the local fare then this place is for you, great food .. we had the risotto and steak ... and great service ambience ... would go back

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Absolutely fantastic!!! Great everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We went to skewers last night because I found it on trip advisor (and I was a little tired of Vietnamese) and the photos looked great. I was not disappointed!! Sooooo glad we went there!!! The atmosphere was welcoming, lighting was great. There was wine everywhere too, so I got excited! We ordered dips to start (4) and each one was different and equally amazing, the serve was huge, they served pita bread as well as crunchy seeded bread. I had the blackened chicken for main which was mouth-watering, and the sauteed veggies were awesome too! There were even peas which I didn't realise I would miss from back home! My boyfriend had the lamb chops which were really juicy lamb cutlets, very thick, cooked medium at his request and he said they were perfect. The problem with this place isn't finding something on the menu you'd like to eat, it's picking which thing on the menu to go for, there were at least 5 dishes I would have been really happy with, and I don't even eat seafood!! We also ordered a bottle of good Aussie wine for $35, d'Arenberg stump jump Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre, and savoured every last drop. If you come to Ho Chi Minh city, go to this place for a meal, you will not be disappointed! One of the best dinners we've had, and reasonably priced.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere