“Alagon – a Hoang Hai Long Group hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hoang Hai Long

Save Saved
You added Hoang Hai Long to your Saves list
Hoang Hai Long
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52B-62-64 Pham Hong Thai str | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Formerly Hoang Hai Long 1)   |
Ranked #280 of 358 hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Los Angeles, California
“Alagon – a Hoang Hai Long Group hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I booked a room at Hoang Hai Long using Expedia for 3 nights in early January. I called the hotel around 11:30AM to inquire room availability for an early check-in (officially check-in is 2 or 3PM). They said to come in as they have a room. Upon arrival at the Hoang Hai Long lobby, the front desk personnel ushered me to what they call a new tower. They walked me past a dining area into another building. They said welcome to Alagon, the newest member of the Hoang Hai Long Group, and which just opened less than two weeks. Found out I paid $60/night on Expedia for a Deluxe room at Hoang Hai Long Hotel and ended up with a $100/night room in a brand new hotel:

• Brand new room in a brand, spanking new hotel with grand opening on 12/25/2012
• Spacious room, in all white, with elegant décor
• Nice design and layout and with attractive hardwood floor – see photos
• Tile/marble bathroom, glass-wall shower with multiple shower heads
• Free wifi connection, but it was inconsistent
• Great breakfast with hot western items in a large dining area with many tables. This dining room seemed to be common to all three towers (Hoang Hai Long, Hoang Hai Long 2, and Alagon). The Alagon tower itself also has a few dining tables to add to those already in the larger, common dining room
• Accomodating front desk staff and management. The manager gave me a discount for an upgraded room on high floor with view of the street
• Negative – safe is not yet bolted to bottom of closet; can be picked up and carried out

Although this hotel is new and I enjoyed my stay, there are two things that they should do to make it more attractive: 1) lower the asking price. The full price for my room is $100, which is very high for a 3* hotel in that area and 2) bolt down the safe in each room.

Finally – this is a tip to all travelers to Saigon (HCMC): Book hotel rooms ahead of time using online travel agencies such as Expedia and Agoda. They offer significantly lower prices than booking directly with the hotel. I asked 3 or 4 different hotels in Saigon in person for their room prices. Without exception, their quoted prices in person are higher than those on Expedia and Agoda for the same room and same nights.

Room Tip: Ask for front room (view of street) on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Hoang Hai Long for 4 nights. We had a great time here, it was within easy walking distance for the market and other attractions. The rooms were of a great standard for a 3 star hotel. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. The buffet breakfast was great, although the tea was rather weak so I would recommend taking your own t-bags. We did have one evening meal in the hotel which we didn't enjoy very much. If we ever came back to Vietnam, we would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeju, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The staff at this hotel were one of the most attentive staff of any hotel I've ever stayed in (and I'm no traveling rookie). From the moment you walk in, the staff is ready to sincerely help you. They recommended great activities, booked tours for us, guided us towards great restaurants, and even notified my husband that his wallet was in view and that we was a target for pick-pocketing (which you must be mindful of in Ho Chi Minh). They stored our luggage and gave us a room at a half-day rate since our flight didn't leave until late.

But the best thing is that it's totally affordable. For the value, this hotel is the best around. Rooms are clean and simple, everything you need with no elaborate frills. For us, an active traveling couple, it was a great choice. It is nearby the large park and right in the middle of all the city action.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hoi An, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hotel staff seemed fearful of getting into trouble. We had a split stay here and there was a great kerfuffle when we left without paying for a future airport transfer. The hotel rang the tour we were on and asked the guide to get the money from us even though we were fully paid and we had left our luggage. We felt like criminals! A shame, interesting location and ok rooms if windows are not an expectation. Good beds, good shower.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Whilst the rooms were clean and of a decent standard, there was zero sound proofing and I constantly heard a phone ringing which I later worked out to be located in the hallway outside my room which I can only assume the cleaners used to communicate with each other. The bed was rock hard as well, but the wifi worked in your room which I now realise is a luxury in Vietnam. The breakfast was good compared to other hotels I have subsequently stayed in, in Vietnam. I came as part of a group tour so cannot comment on value but I wouldn't stay here given that the main purpose of a hotel is to sleep! The front desk staff speak very little English which became very frustrating especially when you have a genuine issue that needs dealing with and you either get told when breakfast is being served or offered a newspaper!

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to the new hotel Algoda which is linked via the restaurant, which has better sou...
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed 3nights in this hotel. Great value for money. Clean and good breakfast provided. The rooms are however not very sound proofed. We could hear people talking in the opposite room and the TV needs to be upgraded to a flat screen). Location is excellent. Within walking distances to all the 'must see' city attractions eg the Ben Tahn market, cathedral, war museum, water puppet show. Plenty of eateries nearby.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm a Canadian and a former Vietnamese national (left Vietnam in 1978). I've return to visit Vietnam each year for the past 15 years, now. I've stayed at numerous hotels, from premium western hotel chains, to the smaller locally owned and operated ones and everything in between. From all of my stays, this hotel is the best bang-for-the buck. It is a well-run, professional and clean hotel, locally owned and operated, without the inflated prices of western hotel chains in close proximity. The price is a little more than the dives nearby for backpackers, but a lot less than what western hotel chains are charging in this area. Spend some time to find the best rate on this hotel and you will be extremely pleased.

Location:
This hotel is located beside the New World Hotel. The location is central downtown. Ben Thanh Market is a couple blocks away, maybe 2 minutes walking distance. You are in the heart of downtown.

Hotel
There are 3 hotel towers on this site, the first is Hoang Hai Long 1, Hoang Hai Long 2 was constructed after that and the newest tower is called Alagon. Each have their own entrance and lobby, but a shared dining room. I've stayed in all 3 towers. As I'm writing Alagon is still being developed. On the higher floors, construction is taking place. I'm a few floors below the construction so I can not hear any of the activity, but I'm told it is taking place. Alagon is the nicer/newer of the 3 towers. But all the rooms are just as comfortable and clean.

Service/Staff
For those who are english speakers, the staff are required to take hotel service courses prior to working - they are fluent in english, so you shouldn't have any problems there. It is not their first language, so keep your expectations in check, but communication is not an issue. Their service is exceptionally good and professional. They are helpful and friendly. Always smiling and greeting, as you walk by. They are very customer service focussed.

The hotel provides a breakfast voucher for each day of your stay. The breakfast is exceptional. They have hot western breakfast food, like eggs, toast, cereal, pancakes. Maybe a dozen Vietnamese dishes as well as a Pho soup station. I've had good Pho in my time, the Pho station at breakfast is one of the better Pho soups you'll get in this city. They also have an assortment of juices, milk, tea, coffee and water. An arrangement of freshly cut fruit and yogurt, is available. My favourite dish has to be the pate. Locally made, no preservatives, just delicious when spread on fresh baguette. Very good and high quality breakfast and most importantly, free.

I've also had dinner at the hotel. The prices are extremely reasonable. They are the same as food costs out on the street. The kitchen is very talented and you can get authentic, fresh vietnamese dishes or western cuisine. Give it a try, it is cleaner and more convenient than dining outside at time.

Rooms
The rooms are well put together. The bathrooms and beds are exceptionally clean and tidy. No complaints at all. Rooms are what you would expect from a western hotel. The beds are comfortable. The mattresses are on the firm side, but not hard. This is on par for south east asia and not a knock on the hotel. As a westerner we are accustomed to sleeping on softer mattresses. I'm accustomed to a firmer mattress, so I sleep well. Each room has a flat panel TV, and thermostat controlled AC. The showers are hot. They use beautiful glass shower stalls with rain shower head. Very nice touch.

Internet
There is free wireless internet throughout the hotel and computers with internet in the lobby. The speeds are very good.

Overall, I am very pleased with the hotel, I will continue to stay here year after year. My only concern is I hope the prices stay reasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hoang Hai Long? Share your experiences!