“Very good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lien An Sai Gon Hotel

You added Lien An Sai Gon Hotel to your Saves list
Lien An Sai Gon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37-39-41 Le Anh Xuan Street | Ben Thanh ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   |
Ranked #193 of 371 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Providenciales
“Very good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

If you want to be in the heart of it this is the place to stay. Clean, friendly and practically on top of the market yet surprisingly quiet. Everything you need as a couple who want to be close and not waste time walking. A week long trip was comfortable in this clean friendly hotel recommend it to anyone. Breakfast not great so plan to eat out. But this is 3 star and small family hotel. If you are a full amenity chain hotel person not for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011 via mobile

Reasonably priced hotel in good location. Bedroom was clean and spacious. Bathroom was acceptable but I would have preferred a separate shower instead of a bath with a shower handle. Free WiFi and internet. Only negative was malfunctioning airconditioner.

• Stayed July 2011
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Oh dear...I am taking back my glowing review of this hotel below. I have just returned from another trip to Vietnam and stayed at this hotel for a second time, and I must say this time was a complete disappointment compared to the first.

We booked two 'standard' rooms this time (as opposed to the deluxe rooms the first time), and the rooms were quite dirty and filled with bugs, the bathroom was old and grimey. The noise from other local patrons in the hotel was quite rude, lots of shouting and no regard for other guests. This hotel is very sterile in its decor, so any noise resonates off the stone cold walls and throughout all floors. We were woken up repeatedly by shouting coming all the way from a few floors down in the middle of the night!

Probably the most disappointing of all was the manager on duty this time around, he was a new guy who wasn't there on my first visit, but I realised after we had paid our bill that he had ripped us off quite a bit of money. It's quite easily done because most hotels quote their room rates in $USD, with a conversion rate of about 19,000 Dongs used to convert it into the Vietnamese currency total. This manager was quite unscrupulous, he used a conversion rate of 19,800 dongs, and also doubled the amount of my laundry bill, as well as adding a few "miscellaneous" expenses which were unbeknown to me until I had settled the bill. He even then had the nerve to hint he wanted a tip.

Such a shame considering I thought the staff at this hotel was so great at first. Be wary of the manager wearing glasses, he's tall and has short shaved hair.

I will definitely not be coming back anymore.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

This was my first time in Vietnam, so there is not much to compare this hotel to, but I have travelled extensively in asia and can honestly say, for overall experience, it rates amongst the best.

The rooms are ok. Sufficient for being a tourist. Noticed another post here mentioning the bug problem, yes, the city is under construction and in transition. All we saw were moths and mosquitos though. The air conditioners are strong, the water pressure is excellent (esp. the hot water). The Pho and noodles are good and cheap.

The staff is top notch. Hanh was amazing. Very helpful. Got us a great tour guide (ask her about him) and was always at our beck and call. The cleaning staff were fun and doting. Especially Mama. She always made sure we were fed, even if we slept past the posted breakfast hours!

Lastly, it is close to all the great nightlife and best shopping Sai Gon has to offer. If you don't feel like walking, you can easily take a cab to all the cool spots for under a dollar.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Just spent 4 nights and off tomorrow for Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An and then Hanoi. First trip to Vietnam. I got the standard room for $35.00 and it fit the bill. If you want a room to sleep and rest up a tad then the hotel is fine. Staff is great, the breakfast though limited was fine. Eggs and coffee everyday (at least for me) . Ate my pho and other viet food elsewhere. Good location. AC was fine and the rooms quiet when needed. Enjoyed aftrenoon/early evening views from the Sheraton, Majestic and Rex bars without the hotel room bill. By all means if you can afford a holiday and stay at one of these hotels do so but if not, spend $35.00 a night and have the extra $150.00 or so for drinks/food/tours and still have extra left over (yes your room will also be nicer at one of the mentioned as well). Using my free in room wireless internet as I write this which is nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

I am writing this from the lobby while I wait for a late flight out. This is my first time to HCMC and am not familiar with the other hotels here but I would rate it comparable to the normal business hotels that I usually use in Hanoi.

I had a deluxe room while a coworker had a normal room. I would not recommend the normal room to any one that is of above average size due to the size of the bathroom but the bathroom in the deluxe room was plenty large enough (maybe bigger than some hotel rooms I have had in Japan!).

I found the place to be pretty comfortable with little or no smell of cigarette smoke (which is unually for an Asian business hotel). The beds are some of the softer than I have had in Asia so still fairly firm for most of us from the States.

English skill of the staff is not great but more than good enough for anything I needed.

All in all, I would stay here again and probably will since I will likely have more trips here in the future.

• Liked — internet speed, semi-soft beds, great pho
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 4nights in total and we couldnt fault the place bar a few bugs. They will do anything you want, english is ok, they understand more then they can speak. We didnt have any problems here.

There isnt many nice places locally to eat.. but you'll find that there arent many nice places to eat in any one location.
There is a lovely bar called Go2Bar or Go Go Go Bar.. they know it in the hotel.. we ate here most days for breakfast. try the pancakes and fruit salad. Its not far from the hotel and cost about 15,000VD.. less then a Euro.

The location of the hotel is perfect its in the city centre and every thing is within easy reach, its really safe and clean too.

The maids clean your room and you get fresh laundry every day, they even do your own laundry for a small fee.

Breakfast we skipped most days as the menu is limited, but its limited everywhere for the western pallet.

Taxis cost from 50cents for approx 2miles. the drivers are always really friendly. Especially if the hotel call the taxi for you. Moped's are scary..but try them out you get used to it. Be careful who you get on with they are not all ligit..and its just as cheap to taxi around if there are more then 1 of you.

Watch out crossing the street.. its easy get into it.. just walk everyone will avoid you just be quick about it.

• Liked — bath
  • Disliked — Bugs..and the smell.. but its a problem for the city not the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lien An Sai Gon Hotel? Share your experiences!