“Avoid!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Melbourne
“Avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went here last night based on the positive TripAdvisor reviews, but the experience was so lacklustre that it prompted me to create my own account here. The squid with garlic and butter was just greasy and bland, with no seasoning. The duck with lemongrass and chilli was borderline tasteless, with grey duck that looked and tasted more like beef and next to no chilli. We asked for some extra but it never arrived. Next up was the beef skewers with sesame, which was OK and probably the best dish of the night but we didn't actually order it - we asked for the beef satay and confirmed twice with the waitress but still ended up with the wrong dish. We ate it anyway because at that stage we just wanted to finish eating and leave. The cocktails were pretty decent and cheap, which bumps this up to a two-star rating. Of course, we ordered them first and they took a lifetime to arrive.

There was also a rat running around the ceiling just above the dining area. True story. Avoid this place unless you have no taste. It's possible they've toned down the flavours to suit a safer western palate but it shouldn't sacrifice actual quality.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Leuven, Belgium
“4 star because of decent pricing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I lunched there, ordered a starter (butter and garlic squid) and then the shrimp/cashew nut combination (yes I like seafood). The two dishes were brought more or less at the same time so if you want a hot meal I recommend you order the main course as they bring the starter. Both dishes were quite satisfying but frankly looked and tasted like nr 45 and 67 at my favorite Belgian chinese restaurant : in other words rather generic Asian food. People looking for really authentic Vietnamese food should probably look elsewhere.
Plus : friendly and (almost too) quick service, nice tables, relatively clean restaurant, price including half a liter of Hanoi beer including tip about 6 euro. Therefore upgrade from 3 to 4 stars.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Good sized meals, reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family ate here for a late lunch, the staff were friendly and efficient. The service was great and the food fantastic. My daughter got the BLT, which was a good portion and we all looked on enviously! When my American burger arrived I was very happy, tasty and great value. The balcony was wonderful to people watch in the old quarter. I can't speak more highly of the wonderful staff, I recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Great balcony”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had sound meals here at a good price. The average rating is because my partner found her fish a bit oily, which was a contrast to other meals we had in vietnam. Great balcony to chill and people watch.

Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Great food, great value, lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a great place for a meal. The venue is beautifully appointed in a low key way and the food is excellent and very good value, with a varied menu. The staff are always smiling and very attentive - thank you. Importantly, the house wine is well priced and drinkable - not easy to find in Hanoi!

Visited November 2012