“Great place, the staff really is superb” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   71 Hang Luoc | Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #11 of 173 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nha Trang, Vietnam
“Great place, the staff really is superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We got a clean and quiet room, with two big beds. The price would excelent, and the staff was extremely helpful - from restaurants recommendation to tour booking. Good location, totaly worth the price!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We are a couple we stayed here for a total of 4 nights. We booked our tours to Halong Bay and Sa Pa via the receptionist and we were very happy with the tours (prices were fair).
Breakfast was simple (bread + choice), rooms were clean for the most part and there was an A/C and a fan.
Staff consists of very nice people, one of them with very good english.
Highly recommended.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This location of hotel was so good that we could go to the Hoan Kiem Lake in 15 minutes. We could use hot shower and eat free breakfast. And these staffs were so kind and friendly. However there rooms of smell were bad.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel is located at the end of the Old Quarter in the centre of the city, but it only takes around 5-10 minutes to get to the lake where it gets really busy.
The rooms are quite small and narrow, but all the buildings in this part of Hanoi are like that so it was no issue. When we arrived we were greeted by Anna who had a big smile for us and got out a map and showed us where to go for certain foods and how long it would take to get there etc.
The room was reasonably clean, although not the best. We had a large bathroom, but there was a hole in our ceiling and the bathtub leaked so we couldn't have a bath, only showers.
It's located on a very busy road, but pretty much all of this city is heaving with motos who are rather liberal with their horns, so you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere you can't hear the constant tooting!
The staff were very nice and helpful, although I had a few issues. The first one was that my rucksack strap had broken on the way to the hostel, so when I asked if they knew anywhere I could get it fixed, a member of staff immediately said he could do it, so he took my bag and brought it back that evening - I thought it was fabulous service and only for $5. Turns out he didn't take it to get fixed, but he jammed the material in the plastic hole (the clip on the other side had broken leaving the strap unable to be fastened together), and jammed it with a ribbon, so when I wore my bag for longer than five minutes it broke (sadly after we'd checked out). We had booked a bus to Hoi An through the hotel, and we definitely over paid by about $5/6. Check around for prices first! We were told it would go straight to Hoi An, but were very surprised when we were dumped in Hue for 6 hours before getting our next bus, so we essentially lost a day. It was especially disappointing considering we'd asked for full details and told we'd arrive in Hoi An at 11am, not at 7pm!

But aside from that, the accommodation is fine and for a good price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Overall, the service at Kangaroo Hostel, especially that shown by Anna in reception, was outstanding, with excellent overall value for money, in a convenient location behind the night market and a ten minute walk from Hoan Kiem Lake.

I paid $12/ night, initially for 2 nights, but ultimately stayed 3 nights due to the typhoon, before going to Halong Bay & returning to Kangaroo to pick up my train tickets, use the facilities, leave my backpack while Anna found a good clinic to remove my stitches, returned to wait for the taxi & use the Internet...And write this review At that time she noticed I had a takeaways bag from the local bakery, and she offered the dining facilities for me to eat.

The airport transfer was $14, great value considering it was a +35 minute journey. Apparently the first pickup could not find me, so I was collected about 45 minutes after my arrival. I called them from the post office at the airport when I thought they were late- great option if you do not have a local sim. Some websites may offer a free airport transfer if you stay over two nights at Kangaroo - this is an outdated offer and is no longer valid. Always specify where you will meet the person making your pickup.

I arrived at around 9am, well before check in time. They offered me a room on the top floor, which I turned down due to a leg injury, so I waited till 12pm (checkout time) & ended up staying in 301, which did not have a view, but excellent wifi reception (could stream The Walking Dead online) the room was in good order, furniture was old, solid, dark, but I didn't really use it. TV had the normal wide range of international channels. The bathroom had obviously just been done, so in excellent condition.
There was a fridge with a small freezer section which worked brilliantly, as well as an extra fan. The blankets were in the wardrobe, but I never used them.
I considered it a bargain at $12/night.

I was stubborn, and refused to take up the suggested company & trip to Halong Bay, insisting on doing my own research, but eventually, two days letter, realised that her first suggestion, Alova Gold, offered the best combination of value & features. By this time they were fully booked, do I ended up doing Aclass Cruise which was also excellent. Other guests tried booking on their own with other agents, but it turned out they paid about $30 more for the same trip with the other agency/hotel.

Be aware that staff are often multi-tasking, trying to help as many customers as they can under pressure, so a little patience goes a long way. If I asked for something, even if I was not able to get an immediate response, Anna always followed up, coming back with an answer.
Also, due to the language & cultural differences, some body language and words may appear abrupt, but they are actually just that the person may be very focused, or is trying to listen very carefully to ensure they understand your needs.

I had many questions & unusual requests due to an accident in Siem Reap, e.g. A good doctor to remove my stitches, estimated costs for taxi journeys, location of a good barber, etc. all dealt with efficiently and effectively within the context above.

Kangaroo Hostel therefore gets my highest recommendation in terms of service & value for money.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great simple but clean hotel in walking distance of all sight seeings.
Walking distance to the Hanoi lake with its famous water puppet show is about 7 minutes.
Hotel offers good rooms and cheap prices. Beds are a bit hard, but you'll see these mostly are in Asia. We booked a trip to Halong Bay and to train tickets to Sapa through them. Excellent service from Anna. When we gt back from the night train to Sapa and went on to Halong Bay they even provided us a free breakfast! sooo kind!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Luzon, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

3 days and 2 nights in this hotel is an awesome experience. Anna, one of the staffs, is very sweet,freindly, and very accomodating. She even booked us for the city tour ang halong bay tour at avery reasonable price. Situated at the middle of old quarter, it is a strategic place that u can access and make it easy to goa round the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kangaroo Hotel? Share your experiences!