“Room for Improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 490 hotels in Hanoi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Room for Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had been staying in a hotel in the old quarter but decided to move after some issues. We had been to the Christmas Brunch here on Christmas day and decided to treat ourselves for the last 3 nights of our holiday after the stress we had with the other hotel and booked into a deluxe club room.
On check it took a little bit to find our booking but we had only booked it less than an hour earlier. We were told we were being upgraded (yay) to a room on the lake. We went into the little buggy to the room only to find a manager showing another couple into our room. He said just wait a minute and opened a room up across the hallway and said they would get our new cards to us. The room had not been stayed in for some time and was very dusty and quite a lot of flies around.

After the drama of the day (with the 4 hours minibus trip from Halong Bay included in this) we decided to go to the cocktail hour and leave it. We previously have stayed at the Intercontinental in a club room in Saigon and were utterly stunned at the difference, there was no one serving, when you helped yourself to a drink and a member of staff did happen to show up they acted like you were stealing the stuff. We had dinner reservations that night somewhere else so left after 30 mins. The next morning for breakfast it was even worst, the table had not been made up from people that had already eaten, we tried for 15 minutes to get someones attention to take our breakfast order, it was a case of who shouts the loudest next is served next. There were no fruit juice or water out to help yourselves so another battle to order again and when the breakfast arrived 20 minutes later it was stone cold. At this is point we had no energy left to complain and the next day went to Jackson Steakhouse for an amazing breakfast brunch.
We had a early flight so booked the Mercedes airport transfer and when we checked out they asked why we had brought our own suitcases to reception but no one at any point had said to let them know and they would pick them up.

There is no hotel information in the room regarding check in/check out time or the restaurants opening hours etc, we were never given a city map/guide and never saw any leaflets around the hotel I would expect more from a B&B in the UK. We found our room very noisy on the lake, boats starting up early hours, dog barking for most of the night, not that we would come here again but we wish we would have stayed in the main building.

I think that a lot of lessons need to be learnt from their sister hotel in Saigon who truly know what 5 star service is all about.

Room Tip: Stay in the main part of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear ShellywUK,

Thank you for the feedback, we always appreciate information that can make us better.

I am disappointed to read your comments as we have obviously let us and you down and not delivered on the service expected.

The actions of the colleague as you described it in showing you a room is not per our procedures, this is unacceptable and I would like your assistance to provide more information so I can follow up.

The club lounge experience is not what I would expect, and honestly not one I have heard from. This team do generally do a great job in the mornings and evening, it offers great value for money for our guests. On this occassion it would seem we have not provided this.

I am surprised to read about you not having information, each room on the desk has a compendium and a monthly newsletter on what we are offering in the hotel restaurants and bars.

If you could provide me your booking details I will be able to follow up. I can be contacted directly at adam.mcdonald@ihg.com.

Appreciate your feedback, I apologise for the issues you experienced.

Adam McDonald

966 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We thought we'd spend New Year's Eve at a nice hotel...

Arrived after a four hour trip, the bellman promptly took our bags and gave me a ticket, we went into reception to check-in.

They couldn't find our booking, after 10mins trying to find our booking, I went outside for a cigarette, to my surprise our bags were left outside, unattended. The only staff within sight of our bags was the girl who opens the door, and she was on the Internet on her phone. The ticket given to me absolves the hotel of all responsibility for our bags yet they leave them outside.

I went back in and my wife had been offered a seat, while we still had to wait a further 10 mins for them to find our booking. Every hotel we stayed in during this trip offered us a complimentary drink on arrival and they didn't keep us waiting.

The room had a good view of West Lake, but was not clean for a five star hotel. If you charge five star prices, I do not expect dusty cobwebs above the bed. The doors to the balcony slide, the floor runners were full of detritus. The wooden floors were heavily scratched. The shower had mould spores. And the bath panel was jammed in with bits of folded rubber. There are boxes in the bathroom with toiletries and tissues, they were covered with dried phlegm as if someone had coughed on them.

There are wall decorations in the room made in the same style as the bath panel that are made of cheap hollow plastic, nice tacky, cheap feel for a five star.

We spoke to two concierge during our stay, one couldn't be bothered and the other was very helpful and got tipped for it.

The staff in the restaurants were extremely good and again we tipped as appropriate. Our time in the restaurants were the only time I we felt we got five star service. A young man named Son was particularly attentive and served us for both dinner and breakfast. Many thanks Son.

Having worked in a five star hotel myself, the issue is house-keeping, maintenance, reservations, front office.

If you can't sort out my booking I expect to be offered at least a drink while you sort out your mistake. And don't leave my bags unattended.

Do not put guests into rooms that are not clean.

• Stayed January 2013
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Ceejayvee,

Thank you for the recent feedback on your stay at the hotel. It was disappointing to read your comments and that we have not lived up to our expectations.

It is disappointing to hear about your check-in experience and that we were not attentive enough to be in the moment with you. You are quite right your bags should not have been left attended, perhaps our doorman was called away, but someone else should have been there to cover for him.

The cleanliness of the room is not per our standards and I have given your feedback to our Housekeeping team to follow up with the attendant and supervisor.

I would like to thank you for the feedback and apologise for the experience. If you are back in Hanoi, please do let me know so I can personally oversee your stay. I can be contacted at adam.mcdonald@ihg.com

Adam McDonald
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Everything great here... So I have nothing negative to write about this place.

Rooms, restaurants, service, design, location, atmosphere etc. everything top nice.

Even the "limousine" service from the airport was amazing.

Will for sure be back asap!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed everything during your stay with us.

We are waiting to welcoming you back with us at the soonest time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on the last leg of our Vietnam trip and really enjoyed it. The hotel is new and well appointed, sitting out on the lake with lovely views. After staying in some ordinary hotels elsewhere in Vietnam, it was a relief to arrive at the Intercontinental and settle in to our comfy King room. We had a meal at the Italian restaurant Milan which was AMAZING! Saigon restaurant was also nice, as was the room service. Breakfast buffet is outstanding and the hotel staff are always so helpful. We have stayed in a few different intercontinental hotels and both agree that this is the best one yet- affordable luxury in beautiful Hanoi :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing InterContinental Hanoi Westlake. It is great that you had the best experience with us. I am agreed with you that the Milan Italian Restaurant offers very delicious dishes. I myself love it too.

I will share your compliment with the whole team to recognize their efforts to deliver the great experience to our guests.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcome you back with us soon.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I spent five nights at the InterContinental Hanoi Westlake Hotel. We selected this hotel because of the location and the quality of the hotel. We were not disappointed.

Yes, the hotel is located outside of the city center but we felt that to be one of its strong suits. Our room was totally quiet so we were able to enjoy a good night's sleep, despite the jet lag from the long trip to Vietnam. The city center was just a moderate taxi ride away and there were many very good restaurants just a short distance from the hotel.

We were located in a huge room in one of the pavilions. The bathroom was very large as well with a separate tub and shower. The view from our balcony overlooking Westlake was exquisite. The only very minor complaint I had about the room was the lack of storage space for our things.

The breakfast buffet was extensive, varied and very tasty. We could not do it justice!! We only ate one other meal in the hotel restaurant. It seemed pricey relative to the other options nearby.

In addition to everything else, the service was impressive.

We would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the pavilions are extremely quiet and have a wonderful view of Westlake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing InterContinental Hanoi Westlake.

I am very happy to read your comment. Yes, our hotel is built on the surface of the West Lake where you can enjoy peaceful environment and beautiful panorama. And actually from the hotel to the center of Hanoi it takes only 10 minutes by taxi.

It is great that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perrth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent Christmas eve enjoying the dinner in the fantastic restaurant, we were treated like royalty. There was an amazing atmoshpere with the most fanastic food. On Christmas morning we ordered breakfast in our room. Fantastic! Then we went on a city tour and returned for Christmas lunch. This was the most amazing meal we have ever experienced. Every type of food was offered. Children had their own area and staff to cater for their needs. The desert was fantastic. Our room overlooked the lake and was beautiful. This is a great hotel and we can''t wait to return.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It is lovely that you enjoyed Christmas days with us. For Christmas time our Chef has prepared a very special menu for our guests and I am very happy that you love it. I will share your fantastic comments with my team to encourage them.

Thank you and we hope to have opportunity to welcome you back with us.

Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Intercontinental is my favourite hotel chain and I will book in at every opportunity. The Westlake is no exception. Perched above the lake, it exudes romance and scenic loveliness.

The staff training is impeccable at all levels. Being an Ambassador member, I try always to book a club level. I was upgraded to a junior suite as a matter of course. The club ls of a good size and ambience but with lots of private nooks and crannies. A good selection of drinks and food.

Bedrooms of a high quality. My only complaint is that there are no coffee machines like in many other Intercontinentals. I think in a club level room, one should be rid of those horrid little paper sachets of instant coffee.

The bar right over the lake is oozing with charm and romance.

Room Tip: although the junior suites are roomy, they have a poky balcony. Try for one of the suites right ove...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments during your stay at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake. Our hotel has a unique location in Hanoi. The hotel is built on the surface of the West Lake where you can relax and enjoy peaceful and romantic scene of the lake. And the club benefits is a good choice for our guests. Our Sunset Bar is also very nice place for you to enjoy special cocktails and see Sunset.

We are looking forward to serving you again.

Adam McDonald - General Manager

Been to InterContinental Hanoi Westlake? Share your experiences!