“Awesome pizza!” 4 of 5 stars

04-8266288
Improve this listing
Ranked #201 of 1,025 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Awesome pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

While visiting Hanoi, we ate here one night after checking Tripadvisor. It was well worth it! It is a little pricier for Vietnam, but nice for an occasional visit. It seemed that the major staff were all Italian, supported by locals. The pizza was phenomenal! I so wanted to go back for another, but just didn't get the chance. We got a cold-cuts and cheese platter that was nice, but it was very oily and the fresh mozzarella had not been drained well so the whole cutting board was drenched. Also, we had the caprese, which again the mozzarella was not drained enough so the plate was fairly wet. Nevertheless, everything was tasty.

If you have time, stop in. It is right near the St. Joseph's Cathedral (which could maybe been seen while dining, if at the right table).

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Sasebo, Japan
“Good food & service, cool view of St. Joseph's cathedral, a bit expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

After some recent mixed reviews, I wasn't sure if I should check it out or not...but alas I was hungry for Italian food (pasta)...and it was in the holy grail (Lonely Planet) so I decided to give it a shot. Although some reviews said it was smokey, not great service, need reservations to sit outside, I must have lucked out! As soon as I entered, I was greeted by a friendly French guy. I asked if I could go upstairs and he said yes so I walked up to the second floor and over to one of the two balcony (outdoor) tables overlooking St. Joseph's Cathedral. There was only one person in the place smoking (other outdoor table) so that helped...couldn't have stayed if more folks were smokers. Recommend this place only allow smoking on one of the floors maybe (or ban it completely!). I ordered a glass of wine (95,000 VDG or about US$5), mozzarella/Gorgonzola bruschetta, and penne gorgonzola. It turned out to be quite expensive at US$22 (by far the most expensive meal in Vietnam in two weeks). It wasn't fantastic, but definitely good and hit the spot. Great view from the balcony to watch all the happenings down below. Comfy chairs, can accommodate small groups (eg: 6-7), good service, yummy food! Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kent UK
“Great atmosphere stunning very fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

After the great food but bland atmosphere of the Green Tangerine it was so delightful to get back to absolutely delicious food freshly produced and with magnificent flavour. This is an excellent Italian restaurant run by knowledgeable Italians and the price for two at under £50 for three courses with wine was a bargain.
We read the last review and we can perhaps understand where they are coming from as there is a slightly inclusive very Italian family atmosphere with many friends hanging around the bar. But the proprietor makes every effort to make you feel valued and it was very authentic Italian throughout. Good lived in decor and now to the food.
I had buffalo mozarella and prosciuto -it was perfect and the pepper steak was scrummy tender and juicy with the best creamy pepper sauce I have had for along time. Served with delicious home made breads. Lovely dessert nona's apple pie.with home made ice cream.
All in all couldn't have bettered anything about it. We are back for lunch tomorrow. Don't be put off by the modest exterior it's great inside and it's best to eat downstairs by the kitchens.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Rude management, bland food, high price... Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Don't bother with this restaurant. The "gang" of Italian hung around the bar and were quite rude to the Vietnamese waiters which made me and others who noticed it uncomfortable.
The lasagnes, both meat and veg, are below average. Bland and poorly put together. The veg was tasteless. Ive had much better Italian food around the world and think they are charging unnecessarily high prices for their attempts.
Ambience was non existent and only one local waiter was polite and attentive.
Also, there was a rusty nail sticking out of wall holding up weird wave decoration which was pretty dangerous.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Pizza good. Pasta average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I visited Mediterraneo with 2 colleagues, while travelling on business.

Location is great, just opposite St Joseph's cathedral. The restaurant itself is cosy and clean and busy enough but not impossible.

The staff welcomed us nicely, advised us on food well, explained the specials and took our orders fast.

The breads arrived fast, with the starters shortly after. Good service!

We had some cold cuts and some french fries (believe it or not, as one of my colleagues was craving junk food). The cold cuts were good - with some parma ham, salami, mozarrela/tomato etc laid out on a small platter.

Two of us had the lasagna and one had the pizza. The pizza seemed to be very good. Large, crispy base and freshly made.

I have to say I found the lasagna dissapointing. It arrived swimming in liquid, the pasta was soggy and I found it under-seasoned, almost tasteless.

Desserts were good. We had the special - a cream, chocolate mixture in a sweet, caramel 'basket'. Very delicious, very sweet.

Overall, mixed experience. Good service, good pizza, good dessert but disappointing pasta. Certainly can't really complain for a total of 80 USD for three of us for three courses and beer!

Maybe stick to the extensive pizza menu?

• 3 of 5 stars Food