“Warmth in Winter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gia Bao Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gia Bao Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Gia Bao Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Losu St | Hoankiem Dist, Hanoi VN8404, Vietnam (Formerly Gia Bao Ha Noi Hotel)   |
Ranked #193 of 489 hotels in Hanoi
“Warmth in Winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

The concierge and manager of the hotel were very hospitable and helpful in affording us information on places of interest and good dining places around the Hoan Kiem Lake District. They provide excellent service and show sensitivity. Breakfast is varied and delectable.

• Stayed December 2011

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Shawnee, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a nice hotel and reasonably price. Hotel staff was always helpful with all the questions and suggested great places to eat. Sign up for many of the day trips and they were all wonderful. Tim was very helpful in making sure we enjoyed all our tours and really worked hard in fulfilling our wishes. Hotel even compensated for some nights I already payed in advance by offering up free dinner, airport ride and day trip. Location was excellent and hotel is very clean. Breakfast was nice and service was great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at Gia Bao Hotel for 2 nights last month and I highly recommend this hotel!

The staff was friendly from the beginning. I got picked up for 25 USD, which is not much for the 1 hour drive from the airport to the hotel. Gia Bao is a charming Boutique hotel with decorated rooms and modern interiors. It is located in the very centre of Hanoi in a side street from Hoan Kiem Lake and the water puppet theater. Step out of the hotel and you see and experience Vietnam from the very first second. There are many food stalls, small shops and street restaurants. And of course many bicycles. I was travelling alone but had no problem to walk around at night. Walk around the busy market and food street and you reach in just 2-5 minutes the lake and the night life zone around it.

The room itself was clean, aircon worked appropriated and there was enough space for the luggage. The windows are not as well isolated but I came home only late at night and didn’t care anymore about the noise. If you don’t have a deep sleep you may consider bringing earplugs with you. Water and fresh fruit are provided every day.

There is a breakfast buffet with both continental and asian food. Not too big, good and enough though. There is also a small business center (24h). The best came when I left. I got a letter with 2 Vietnamese presents (a small handmade statue and a wooden hand mirror). The hotel and its staff really care about the guests and try its best to make their stay as comfortable and memorable as possible! The only critic I have to write is about the bath room. The aeration above the shower/bathtube had no cover so that you could see through the ceiling into the aeration and its dirty tubes. It is worth mentioning but didn’t make my stay uncomfortable or even bad. Overall, I absolutely recommend this hotel. You definitively pay less than what you get!

Room Tip: I had the normal superior room, There are 2 parts of Gia Bao. I stayed in 23, Lo Su Street. I'm...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Waiuku, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had booked 2 nights hear then going to Halong Bay, back to this hotel for 1 night then back to KL, Things didn't start off too well, as we were getting off the plane in Hanoi I had my wallet stolen. Arriving at the hotel we were told that the trip to Halong bay was off because of bad weather, I thought what else is there to go wrong, but no the Sales and Marketing Manager Nguyen Phuong Thanh, sorted out the extra days at the hotel and advised trips we could go on, she made our stay in Hanoi Excellent. When we arrived back in NZ i received an email from a person in Hanoi informing me that my wallet had been handed into his office and was there any person or place he could give it to, I gave him the hotel number, Thanh then went by taxi picked up the wallet and has now returned it to me, what better service could you ask for. Hotel is located very well to shops and not too far walking to the lake.
We hope to come back to Hanoi we will stay at this hotel next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I discovered this little haven after having checked out from another hotel in Hanoi, that left me with a bad experience. Un-necessary to mention that hotel but this was a comfortable change.
Located just off the Haon Kiem Lake, its closely located to shops, the puppet theatre and quite a few coffee shops and restaurants.
Gia Bao is actually part of a 2 hotel brand that includes Gia Bao Grand that is just across the street a minute walk away.
The rooms are clean and the staff very friendly. I have stayed here 3 times already and would definitely stay here again if I visited Hanoi. Its a nice little stopover and a break while touring around Vietnam.
Despite having a very early checkout, the staff offered to give me a takeaway breakfast so I wouldnt be hungry. Could you ask for more?

Room Tip: The higher up the better to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My family booked 3 nights but extended to 5 nights. Hotel was very flexible with our booking as we had to book a 2 night Halong Bay cruise during our stay and they accommodated for us by changing our originally booked dates for no extra charge. Location is fantastic - short walk to Hoen Kiem Lake Right in the heart of the old quarter. Hotel has a boutique feel, friendly accommodating staff but rooms are small. Okay for 1-2 but we were cramped with 3 people. Most importantly the rooms and hotel is clean. Bar/room service and minibar is all cheap and not over-priced like many hotels. The room amenities are fantastic and Wi-fi was good however needed to sit outside our room to Skype at times to pick up a stronger signal. Facebook is accessible at this hotel, had difficulty at many other hotels as I understand FB is blocked within Vietnam.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of hotel if you want to avoid street noise. Not much of a view but you will...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HCMC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip (very budget of course). The hotel staff were pleasant. The room was 201 - front of building and a little noisy. But at least it had a window. Some of the very cheap rooms were like cells!
I would shop around if you have 5 minutes, the price range does give you other (better) options. If you can't find an alternative, then this will fit the reason for a hotel- somewhere to wash and sleep.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Gia Bao Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!