“Great food, BIG portions!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 1,097 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: German, International, Vegetarian, Vietnamese, Asian fusion
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A family run, family friendly Bistro style restaurant that focuses on tasty food at low prices. We offer some Hanoian and Vietnamese specialities, as well as international favourites, along our Chef Minh Thuy’s own European/Asian fusion creations. Minh Thuy was a top 7 contestant in Master Chef Vietnam 2013 competition and our many repeat guests come here for the excellent food and the friendly service.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great food, BIG portions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

When i first came to this restaurant, I made the mistake of ordering 2 things; fried spring rolls and fried noodles with beef. I sometimes get 2 portions in SE Asia because they can be fairly small and i was pretty hungry but when the meals came, i was surprised by the portion sizes. I had 12 big pieces of thick spring rolls and the other plate had a large amount on too, I was full halfway through it all! Tasted brilliant, try this place out!

• Visited July 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Best value in Hanoi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Value wise you wont get much better than here, a 500mml bottle of Tiger for 10,000 Dong (30pence) and the best spring rolls that we had in Asia!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Monica, California
“Eh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I think the dude mentioned in another review posted here is actually German, not French (a lot of German food on the menu and I think he sounded German.)

We were there for a more quiet time, so we didn't have trouble getting a table. But the service was slow. We ended up just getting it to go because we were on a schedule. The ribs were okay.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“French Arrogance!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Walked in with the family and was seated at the only spare table. As we sat down, this arrogant and obnoxious French man came out and said the table was reserved. There were no other tables available, so this other table that had just finished gave up their table for us.

I gave the French man some feedback that his staff shouldn't seat diners and then reserve the table after they have been seated.

We then waited 10 minutes for our drinks order to be taken only to notice our table was being ignored so we decided to leave.

Can't comment on the food, but the French man does not represent an authentic Vietnamese family restaurant that they try and portray by their name.

The menu was also a bizarre mix of Vietnamese and Western food, so a little confused with what they stand for.

There are so many good restaurants to choose in Hanoi, so avoid this one if you prefer welcoming service.

"Au Revoir"

StefanProbst, Manager at Minh Thuy's Family Restaurant, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry that you left our restaurant unsatisfied.

I remember that Wednesday evening very well:
(Warning: Long story ahead. If you like, jump to “End of story”!)

Our headwaiter for the evening shift had to leave unexpectedly since her sister had an accident and was on the way to the hospital. The headwaiter of the first shift was also not able to stay and had to leave. I immediately called my daughter to stand in, but for about 15 minutes I was alone. At that time several guests were about to leave, others wanted to come in. I had to do everything: talking orders, processing them, so that the kitchen knows what they have to cook, preparing invoices and scheduling arriving guests about when we would have a table for them available. It was a very busy evening. Later when I checked, it turned out that we were short of a single guest to match our previous record for number of guests on a Wednesday. When I saw that I/we can’t cope with that sudden surge in arriving guests, I told one staff to get out, get our door menu in, and make sure that no guests comes in anymore. Unfortunately, he didn’t understand me and/or couldn’t believe that I would give such a strange order, and didn’t do anything.

At about 19:40 the guests at the table behind stood up. Since they stayed a bit longer than expected, I had to assume that the group for whom I had scheduled that table would arrive any minute. I therefore immediately went “backstage” to take the “Reserved” sign. However, when I arrived back at the table, which was not even cleared and cleaned yet, your family stood already at the chairs, ready to sit down. Being already stressed that I was the only head waiter, falling behind with taking orders, I got angry why still new guests came in, although I had told my staff not to allow anybody in anymore. My apology to you that the table was reserved was therefore possibly a bit rude and not as friendly as it would be under “normal” circumstances. Agreed, the communication with my waiters could have been better, i.e. telling them that we had pending reservations and that they shouldn’t assign tables to incoming guests without clearance from me first. But again: Keeping proper communication with serving staff who doesn’t speak that much English, is difficult in such a hectic situation.

Anyway. The guests at the next table said that they were about to leave, so you could sit down were you were already and the newly arriving guests could get the next table.
Shortly after, my daughter arrived and we began clearing up the backlog.

Actually, I had your table in view. Common restaurant etiquette is that the guest closes the menu or puts the single sheet menu on the table to signal the waiter that (s)he selected the food and is ready to order. You were very long time looking at the menu. I remember that one of you even stood up to have a look at the special’s menu at the wall behind when I just wanted to get your order taken. We therefore thought that you didn’t decide on the food yet and needed more time – and we could use that time to work on the back log. You also didn’t signal anything that you would be ready to place your order, or that you would need assistance in choosing.
Then, just a few minutes later all of you stood up and left.

Many people like our menu, e.g. because in mixed groups everybody (the more daring and the more conservative ones) can select something that fits their preferences. You found it a “bizarre mix of Vietnamese and Western food, so a little confused …” Maybe this was the reason why you were pondering on the menu a bit long – and we thought that you didn’t decide yet?

After we cleared the backlog I went to every table that was affected, explained and apologized for any delay in the service. All other guests were sympathetic and said that the delays were negligible – the food still arrived in time on their tables. Unfortunately, I couldn’t apologize to you anymore.

End of Story

I later told my staff that during the nearly one year that we have the restaurant now, I rarely experienced such nerve wracking and adrenaline laden minutes like today after the headwaiters had left, and lots of new guests arrived within short time, until my daughter arrived. I don’t need to defend myself. Many people here on TripAdvisor wrote about me, and I hear it in the restaurant. However, if you feel the need to add insult to injury: I am German. Feel free to call me arrogant and obnoxious and write in the headline “German Arrogance” or “Bavarian Arrogance”, but please spare my absolutely innocent French friends.

To be very honest, your one star rating (“terrible”) hurts. First it hurts since we feel that it is quite unjustified. Yes, it also hurts our business and we will need many “high star” reviews to balance it, but it hurts also many of our potential guests – your fellow travellers. I hear quite often – and reviews on TripAdvisor confirm this – that guests feel pity because they discovered us only shortly before they left Hanoi again. Your one star means that many more will not discover us.

You concluded your review with "Au Revoir" which literally means “see you again”.
Does this mean that you think you were a bit impatient that evening – possibly also sensitive due to a bad experience in Hoi An and the poor first impression due to the reservation issue – and that you want to give us another chance?
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good food and a must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Loved the varieties of local food here. You can also try the western food. The only thing is, very limited spaces available. So, be there earlier to avoid disappointment.

Visited July 2014