“Standard budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #190 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
London
“Standard budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We ended up here after being turned away by two consecutive hotels, neither of which had rooms for us despite having made a booking (apparently a bit of an issue in Hanoi). The second one - Calypso Grand - put us in a taxi to the Oriental and we agreed because we were tired of looking.

We were first shown one of the rooms in the back which was awfully dark and dreary, and after complaining were moved to one of the brighter rooms in the front (funnily enough called a "suite" even though it's a normal double room).

We had a rather annoying issue in that our toilet flush didn't work, and this was only fixed on the third and final day of our stay despite us repeatedly reporting it.

Other than that, it's basically a decent, clean, standard budget hotel in a convenient location. As for calling itself a "boutique hotel" - doesn't that imply a certain amount of character, design ethic and indulgence? Makes about as much sense as calling a double room a "suite".

Room Tip: Avoid the cheapest rooms at the back of the building - they're dark and depressing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel hong NGOs for 4 nights. The room was big and well designed and very clean. Great location in the old city. Management went out of their way to make us comfortable, the manager was especially understanding when we had a problem with a tour we had booked. In the end it all got sorted out thanks to Mr. Thang,who went out of his way to help. Breakfast was great. Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Rooms are lovely, big and bathrooms are beautiful. Wifi in room,computer located in lobby and English tv channels. Buffet style breakfast which is excellent. Location was pretty good, just beware of pick pockets but that goes for all of Hanoi.

Room Tip: I was I third floor near stairs and could hear noise from reception in morning so maybe higher room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Nice hotel situated right in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. Easy access to all main touristic restaurants, bars and shops. The room was clean and the bathroom seemed to be renovated recently. Breakfast was OKi, nothing more but can't complain for the price. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend that hotel to fully enjoy Hanoi's atmosphere

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mannheim, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

we enjoyed a great time in Hong Ngoc Annam Hotel. The room is freshly renovated and very nicely furnished, clean and calm. Bathroom very modern. The hotel also arranged airport transport for us and recommended good local restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I traveled to Hanoi twice in 2012/2013 for pleasure and both times stayed at this hotel. I am from San Francisco and am definitely used to the hustle and bustle of downtown. For the price that I paid, this was my most enjoyable stay in all of Vietnam.

Location: What can you say, you are in the middle of everything here, all within walking distance. Food, bars, stores, shopping, Lakes, you cant beat the location of this hotel and it's nice that all the staff know how to get around in the City and are very knowledgeable of the city streets. I loved how the hotel was close to the Lake and was safe to walk around at night. I also saw that many tour buses stopped at this hotel, for obvious reasons, even the locals know how centrally located this hotel is.

Hotel Rooms: Most rooms were recently remodeled when I stayed there. I had the pleasure of having a bathroom with marble tiles throughout, double pane windows facing the street and comfy beds. :) How can I complain?? I had cable TV, flat screen TV, FREE INTERNET IN MY ROOM (most hotels charge)!!! Even had an ethernet plug in my room in case the wireless was out of range. They have one computer downstairs that all the guests use, I recommend to bring a laptop and just use it in your room for free. During the day when you leave, lock it up in the safebox that is provided. In addition, my room was properly cleaned everyday and on the warm days the AC conditioner worked like a charm! There are no amenities, but I didnt come to Vietnam to run on a treadmill...

Breakfast Buffet: If you want a big breakfast, walk outside to the many restaurants around, but if you are looking for a basic, healthy meal to start your day, you cant beat what this place offers in the morning. Not to mention that it is FREE! I could not complain, and I even walked in at 10am, only to find they still had warm food!! Food+coffee+pastries+fruit and veggies!!

Staff: The manager Mr. Phong and I got along well, he was such a prankster, if I had any problems, I knew I could count on him to fix it and it was a pleasure to see him there everyday in the morning, asking if I needed any help. The front desk receptionist, I believe her name is Ha if she is still working there, spoke English very well and was always pleasant and helpful if I needed any directions. All the staff were very helpful and whenever I would park my motorbike, they made sure it was locked and secured and ready for when I needed it again.

For my fellow Americans, this hotel offers value, clean rooms, free internet in all rooms, AC, English speaking staff, free breakfast, elevator, parking for motorbike, and friendly staff. I have already booked this hotel for my next stay in Hanoi December 2013!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 501 both times, it faced the street, double pane windows so I could not hear much...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just loved this hotel. Of course like many hotels in vietnamese cities, windows here are a luxury. The room was clean and small. But really quite pleasant with some lovely carved furniture. A great sanctuary from the Hanoi heat. Because, let's face it life is outside the hotel and this one is perfectly situated to make the most of it. The staff were excellent and tried make everything as comfortable and easy as possible. These guys can arrange a car for transport to the airport. Cheaper and less worrying than a taxi. This hotel will certainly be recommended by me to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Hong Ngoc Hotel? Share your experiences!