“Fantastic Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calypso Suites Hotel

You added Calypso Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Calypso Suites Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No 11E Trung Yen Lan, Dinh Liet Street | Hoan Kiem District, Old Quarter, Hanoi, Vietnam (Formerly Calypso Legend Hotel)   |
Special Offer
FREE AIRPORT PICK UP
Ranked #19 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Retford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was a fantastic find - great location, lovely rooms and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We only stayed with them one night but nothing was too much trouble. We arrived very early, but they accommodated us, we left our luggage whilst we went off to Halong Bay. Whilst we were away they arranged our train tickets to Da Nang - even escorting us to the station, managed to get tickets to the theatre which we thought was sold out - so friendly and helpful. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is slightly more expensive than other hotels in Hanoi but it could be well worth it.

The best part about this hotel is its excellent service. The staff were very helpful and they have an excellent colour map to guide us around the area. The staff also gave good tips as to where to get authentic vietnamese food, where to get coffee etc. And the amazing part is they always wear a smile and stand up when I am leaving the hotel. Makes it hard for me to not be generous with tips!

We got upgraded to a junior suite on our stay but there is not much difference between a suite and a non-suite (I stayed another night in a normal room) so I would say there might not be a need to pick a suite.

Location:
It is located in the old quarters and you only need to walk a few minutes and you will hit the streets where there are lots of shops around. It is also a 5 minutes walk to the Lake.

The staff can help you hire cars, bikes, tours etc.

I got the hotel to provide a transfer from the airport to the hotel for US18. I'm sure I can get it cheaper but whatever.

The only thing that upset me a little before the trip is that I had some communication breakdown with Kevin, the manager of the hotel. I needed 2 return tickets Hanoi - Sapa and it took me many emails and in the end I still couldn't confirm it before I arrived in Hanoi at the hotel. Also, the price he quoted me changed several times. In the end, the price I paid for a 1 way trip is US40. He also did not confirm my airport transfer from the airport to the hotel which left me wondering whether I am gonna be picked up by anyone at the airport.

Other than that, I am extremely happy with our stay and will gladly recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Not much difference between a suite and a non suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Kevin Le, the hotel manager & his staff make such a wonderful team. They are very friendly & helpful, always greet customers with big sweet smiles even though I reached hotel at 5 in the morning after Sapa trip. The pick up services to & from Hanoi railway station is great, the hotel officer even packed breakfast for us to bring to the night train heading to Sapa. They also serve yummy beef pho & free flow of fresh fruits juices for breakfast. I will definitely stay here again the next trip i visit Hanoi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I cannot recommend the Hotel Calypso and it's staff enough. You are looked after from the moment you arrive, the breakfast is tasty and the rooms spacious and clean. Above everything it is the staff that make this place truly unforgettable when staying in Hanoi. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The stay was fantastic. Staying in the Old Quarter was awesome.All the life and hustle were right outside the door but in the hotel it was quiet and very comfortable. The staff was extremely nice, helpful,knowledgeable, and their language skills were very good. They would call you a cab and the doorman would escort you to the cab and tell the driver in Vietnamese where you wanted to go. Until you expierence Hanoi traffic you will not appreciate how important and wonderful this is.The breakfasts were great- wonderful bread, fruit and you could order any kind of eggs.There were other things you could order.All this for $50/night. I totally recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I ever get the chance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and I was travelling alone. I loved the location - on the second day I felt like it was my new neighborhood. It is superbly located to great restaurants - one of the best pho restaurants is 30 seconds walk away. It was near most of the tourist attractions as well. I adored walking in the lanes and if I didn't stay here I would not have ventured so deeply into Chinatown. The staff are so helpful and friendly. They even lent me a laptop and have chargers and anything you need. They always arranged transport and the drivers they chose were friendly and didnt try to rip you off as most taxi drivers all around the world tend to.
I thought the rooms were well kept and clean. They had cable tv and good AC. I also adored their breakfasts! they had such a good choice and range and the quality was superb. I actually miss their breakfasts of pho spring rolls and croissants with an omelette! where else can you get that eclectic mix? If I go back to Hanoi - I am definitely staying there again. (PS I stayed one night at the Metropole as I wanted to experience it but I found myself missing this hotel. Sometimes, 5 star just doesn't have the x factor.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Choosing a hotel in Hanoi was a challenge due to the plethora of affordable, well-rated options. Based on photos, one hotel just started to blend in with another but this one caught our eye for its simple and clean look.

The hotel gets you easy walkable access to all the sites in the Old Quarter. It's on a side street but the hotel staff are super and they pick you up right off the main street and carry your bags to the hotel and back. Everyone from the front desk to the bell hops were super duper accommodating and friendly. They can do everything from booking tickets to printing out boarding passes, etc. on your behalf. Breakfast was also pretty substantial. Though after a few days of it, we ventured out to try other places.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Calypso Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!