“Great location and reasonably priced” 4 of 5 stars

Hoa Binh Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Ly Thuong Kiet St., Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #220 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Great location and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

The managing director of the hotel could not do enough to make the stay as comfortable and easy as possible. He even made the tour operator in the hotel reduce the price of a trip we were looking at(make sure you shop around first there are 5 or 6 on the same street) Nice rooms and decent brakfast service. The view is pretty cool at the restaurant on the top floor. Oh and make sure you have a foot massage the guys and girls there have some seriously strong fingers !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Vietnamese first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hoa Binh Palace hotel for two weeks in the Fall of 2010 while we worked on a volunteer project in Hanoi. We had a wonderful experience. Don't come here if you are expecting the Westin, but if you are interested in a consistent quality hotel in the Old Quarter, this is the place. The hotel itself is older, but well maintained and comfortable. The rooms were small, but well appointed and comfortable, with excellent air conditioning, telephone, and internet. The Bathrooms were also small, but functional. However, the best thing about the hotel was the consistently friendly, helpful and welcoming staff who treated us like both honored guests and friends. Mr Tuan was attentive and eager for his staff to provide a good experience and the attendants and wait staff were earnest and sincerely friendly. They raced out in the mornings to grab us taxis and welcomed us back with smiles and laughter every afternoon. The restaurant at the top of the hotel has some of the best food in Hanoi for those looking for more western break from street food, and the breakfast buffet was enjoyable even after 14 mornings. IMPORTANT: Note that there are two Hoa Binh hotels - the one in the old quarter is the Hoa Binh Palace. We suspect that some of the bad reviews here relate to the other hotel - the taller one in the photo's provided.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I have been travelling around the world for a year now and have stayed in many hotel/hostels, good & bad around the world. But this is the only one I have felt I needed to review. After thinking we were offer a reasonable price for a room with the perk of a pool we thought we had a good deal, but we were wrong. The staff were rude and unable to help with our general questions, but more interested in selling us there tours.

The final straw was after our room was cleaned a pair of trainers miraculously disappear from the
bathroom. After asking the boss at reception if they had been removed from the room or maybe thrown away by mistake, she offered no help, insinuated I was lying. After asking a second time to check with her cleaning staff, she got aggressive and then basically laughed in my face.

The only option was to move to another hotel down the road, as we didn't feel safe leaving our belongs there or if we had any other problems arise we could not go to them. On leaving she refused to speak to us or make eye contact, only to give us an amount for the room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

I normally check Trip Advisor before choosing a hotel, unfortunately this time the hotel was selected by our meeting organizer. Our group was international and the feedback I heard from colleagues was unanimous : this hotel was not a good choice. I heard complaints about inefficiency of service, quality of bed, absence of hot water, clogged washbasin, lack of internet connection,etc. They even moved at least two persons in our group to other rooms in the middle of our stay at very awkward times, and did some technical repairs while a couple was still in the room. The hotel may have had some old charm years ago but how could it gone whe retain any charm when you experience the above.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bourg la Reine, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

In 2 days the service disappointed me four times. When we arrived they had downgraded my reservation, we had to negotiate to had a better room. The concierge was not able to tell me where to develop the film of my disposable camera. When my colleague called the reception to join me, she was told that I had checked out of the hotel, while I am staying the week. Finally I checked "Iron only" on the laundry sheet and was billed for "Washing + Ironing" service.
On the plus side: the location is very good, I had a nice and large room, everything is clean, wifi is free (like everywhere in Hanoi). The old building has character, history and is not too large. Soundproofing against street noise is inefficient. The restaurant serves only buffet breakfast, lunch (€5) and dinner (€6) at reasonable prices for the convenience and quality*quantity.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
boc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Hotel was very clean. Service was very good. Affordable price. Many shops around. I really enjoyed my 6day stay at this hotel. I recommend this hotel for my friends.

Ranaweera Siripala
rasiri@boc.lk

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed in the Hoa Binh hotel in Feb 08 on a tour of SEA, booked into us by Travel Indochina. Pls don't read other reviews that are about Hoa Binh Palace Hotel - they are quite different. Don't ever stay here - the rooms were a bit musty. luckily we didn't have a room facing the street, because the noise and pollution would have been terrible. The breakfast was uninspiring and a rip off. The buffet dinner was also very overpriced, as was the internet at the business centre.

My major bug with this place was with a mobile phone left in the room. I rang them up a couple hours later and arranged for it to be sent home, however I never received it. They did not reply to any further e-mails requesting further information!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hoa Binh Hotel? Share your experiences!