“Fabulous hotel in less than fabulous city” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Ngo Quyen Street, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #26 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Los Gatos, California
“Fabulous hotel in less than fabulous city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Last stop on our Viking River Cruise tour...the best hotel of the tour. We were treated to junior suite rooms on club level floors. Wonderful buffet breakfast. This hotel made Hanoi enjoyable.

Room Tip: Corner room 542
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

The Sofitel Metropole was more than I intended to spend but came highly recommended and I am so happy I decided to stay here. The service was fantastic, every staff member I came across went out of their way to make the stay special. I was there in August so the pool, though small was a welcome respite after long and hot days exploring Hanoi. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean. I would not hesitate to book this hotel if I return and will recommend to anyone visiting Hanoi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Pham Thanh Ha
Quality Manager
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed at the Metropole at the beginning and end of my trip to Hanoi. It was a really mixed bag. First things first--the hotel is definitely beautiful. You get a real sense of history and luxury when you walk in. That was really nice.

The staff, however, are a bit mixed. Some were really delightful, and others seemed a bit surly or snobby. I hate it when staff seem like they're doing you a favor (particularly one concierge who gave me really unpleasant attitude). Also, they greet everyone in French, even if Bonjour is the only French word they speak. Seemed really pretentious to me, although I suspect the French love it.

At the front end of my trip, I stayed in the historical wing, standard room. I was not impressed. The room was tiny, and the bathroom was poorly equipped and laid out. There was no good space to do any work. Just nothing special at all. I chalked this up to its being a historical hotel. On my last day in Hanoi, I got upgraded to a deluxe room in the historical wing, and this was a beautiful experience. Large room, luxurious bath, large work space. I just don't understand the substantial difference between the two levels.

I also had a massage at the hotel which was very expensive, very luxe, but really only average in actual massage quality.

In the end, I enjoyed the history of the hotel, but I'll probably save my money next time and stay somewhere closer in the Old Quarter.

Room Tip: If the price doesn't differ too much, definitely opt for the deluxe room. The standard room is...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great feedback following your recent stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. In relation to your specific comment on some of our staff, you will be pleased to know that we are now reinforcing our plan to further training our team member to ensure they provide the same standard of service to all of our customers.

Yours sincerely,

Pham Thanh Ha
Quality Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I checked into the Metropole after checking out of another hotel, a friend had also recommended it, I should have taken their advice. To start this Hotel is in the most wonderful location in Hanoi, central to everything. The hotel is split into two, one side is the old traditional side and the second is the newer modern Opera Wing (designed in keeping with the colonial side) .. the rooms are large and comfy, and have everything you could need. The beds are super super comfy. The service is second to none and the staff could not be more helpful. Breakfast for Vietnam is excellent with many dishes on offer both asian and western and can be taken in a choice of 3 restaurants onsite so you can select your setting. There are quite a few individual restaurants in the hotel offering various cuisines, try the afternoon tea and sample the chocolates. The pool (in the centre of the hotel) is small, but even though I stayed when it was cold, it was heated and like a little oasis, as were the cocktails and jazz at the piano bar .. the hotel was much more affordable than I thought it would be, I booked through a discount hotel site .. don't even look elsewhere .. spend a few extra $ .. it is well worth it ...

Room Tip: Opera wing is more modern but in a traditional style I preferred this ...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Lexington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel in Hanoi. It is a very nicely appointed property, split between the older wing and the newer one. We stayed in the newer wing, which was very nice. Our room was comfortable and we were provided with a beautiful red rose display and box of chocolates for our 25th anniversary. We enjoyed our massages at the spa, which is on a par with other hotel spas in Asia.

The hotel's location is ideal, a very short walk to the large lake at the center of Hanoi. Worth getting up early for a walk or jog around the lake to join the locals doing Tai Chi. You might also be lucky enough to see the 200 lb. very old five foot long turtle who lives in the lake (photo provided).

Staff was helpful and the in-room check in and regular breakfast, cocktail and hors d'oevres service on the club floor was very nicely organized. Particularly enjoyed the smoked salmon with egg charlotte in the morning, along with fresh local fruits and fruit juices as well as large selection of teas.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi? Share your experiences!