“Not worth seeing” 1 of 5 stars

Visit Van Phuc Silk Village like an insider
Top Rated
$32*
and up
Small-Group Cultural Tour: Bat Trang, Dong Ky and...
Ranked #52 of 84 Shopping in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Van Phuc Silk Village visitors can learn how the fabric is woven and shop for textiles in a traditional silk-making village just outside the Hanoi city limits.
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 attraction reviews
“Not worth seeing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Perhaps we missed something but all we could see were the silk shops near the main street. The name is misleading as it isn't a village at all and was just in Hanoi.

There was construction on the street which I guess hid the looms and silkworm workshop. The city should put up a map near the 'welcome to Silk vilalge' sign to define some kind of walking path.

Disappointing.

Visited April 2013

Victoria
184 attraction reviews
“Listen for the sound of the looms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a village full of silk shops but one which is no longer surrounded by mulberry trees. However, if you can hear the sound of the looms, go in and watch people at work weaving silk. We visited this on an Urban Adventure Village tour which was a great way to get insight into the place.

Visited March 2013
Portland, Oregon
77 attraction reviews
“Good for purchasing gifts; some shops are more friendly than others.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

You really need to shop around ... and if you want an authentic silk or 'pashmina', then you need to know your stuff as some shops slap labels on polyester and which says pashmina. So, take the time to look at things in a variety of shops before you purchase.

That said, the prices are very good and you can easily find something for everyone back home! It's fun to walk the streets and, if you're interested, you can actually see the entire process (from silk worm to final, woven product. We'd seen this in Turkey, so didn't bother on this trip.

You can find scarfs in all prices. The finer silk scarves are around $25usd. Check out each piece before purchasing to make sure there aren't any snags or an damage to the item.

We actually took a taxi to the village and he waited while we shopped. Nice to not have to find a taxi when we were finished!

If you have time to shop, this is a great place to do so!

Visited February 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 attraction reviews
“Maybe March is the best time to visit Van Phuc”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was here last week and my sole purpose is to buy silk fabrics and scarf. My wife suggested this place to buy all things silk as she was here in March 2009.

Good things:
- You can see the silk worm and the process of making the fabric
- Considerably low in price compared to Hanoi (and Don Xuan market)
- Not that crowded

Not so good:
- Less options of silk fabrics and scarf (Maybe due to the cold season)
- The fabric options is more inclined towards the celebration of the lunar new year

Despite, I believe this will be better during hot season on whenever the silk worm is active producing the silk thread. I hope someone travel to this place in March or hotter season to supply with more information. Overall, it's a silk village for sure.

Visited January 2013
IHB
13 attraction reviews
“Interesting stop over and nice people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I took a motorbike taxi out of Hanoi just to ride around. I saw the statue and small pond first and didn't know it was the silk village. It was a lovely stop. I have never seen this process or the machines. As a teacher and still a learning child myself I truly immersed myself into the machinery and people. The good we're QUALITY and I literally bought the silk that was on the machine. This was priceless to me. Worth seeing was the granite stones and shrine to the Vietnam war losses for this tiny town. Prices w o haggling were better than old town. I don't haggle much. I look at my life and paychecks and I look at theirs. I can afford 5$ more :)