“Dinner- disappointing! Terrible and waste of time” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 1,007 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: French, Bar, Bistro
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: - 100% Traditional French Cuisine- Wine boutique with 500 different items at all budgets- Lunch menu at VND 355.000+/ 3 courses
Perth, Australia
“Dinner- disappointing! Terrible and waste of time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

After reading the reviews from tripadvisor, we made an appointment to have dinner at DCBistro. Pricing was cheap at 245VIet Dong for a 3 course meal. The staff were cheerful but do not seem to be able to communicate well in English. We had trouble understanding some of the menu items . As there were 3 of us, we ordered the 3 appetisers- crab meat with pomelo, asparagus cream soup with scallop ravioli and grilled oysters. We also ordered in addition , to the set dinner, a la carte -Foie Gras and a plate of tomato and egg salad. We ate the baguette with butter. It came crispy and warm although was roughly cut with slices in different sizes and widths. But we liked the baguette.
The soup came and was up to expectations for a bistro. The grilled oysters was also okay, grilled plainly although I thought it could have been better dressed as even street side oysters has more condiments in it while being grilled.my pomelo crab salad came was tasteless as the pomelo was not ripe and there was not enough dressing to perk up the crab meat. I ony took 2 bites and decided to give u eating the tasteless appetiser. Hoping the main course will do better
My main course is seabass vermouth sauce, but I had a tasting bite as I gave it to my friend whose dish came and we realised that the pork sausage was actually pork in pig stomach. It looked good but the stomach was not washed properly and smelled and tasted horrible despite the mustard sauce attempting to mask the porky flavor. The steak came cold and when the staff was informed of it, just put it back on the panor grilled so came back hot but it was totally tough after the reheating. Luckily the foie gras came and I ate it with the baguette. The apples served with it was cold not warmed and hence tasted slimely. The dessert of chocolate galette came as a 3 or 4 layer sponge cake with cream in between the layers and dressed with a square of chocolate, my cheese and fruit sauce came in as extremely disappointingly as whipped cheese with some bottled fruit sauce. Took a bite and gave it a miss. The mashed potato that came with out sausage and fish was cold so was a big letdown . Overall. Do not go and waste your money on their 3 course dinner. Either we have an unusual experience or the chef was off that day as the food was not up to par for any bistro or cafe standards and they claim to be a French bistro. Staff was cheerful but inability to communicte well, our server was inexperienced as when one of them spilled steak sauce while serving the steak on my friend, instead of apologising, she froze and then dropped the steak dish on the table. My friend had to show her her oily hands before she took some dry napkins for her oily hands. I would not go there ever again. The food was not worth the cheap price as we practically did not enjoy the meal. Staff did not ask need to why we did not finish our food too , our disappointed faces told our experience. We drove to St Honore and bought baguette and croissants to fill up our stomachs.
We had earlier tried Don Bistro , Bun Cha and Quan An and they were up to par and surpassed expectations. so go for them .

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Good French cuisine in nice surroundings away from hustle and bustle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good quality food, the beef cooked Hanoi style was excellent - basically a steak and the prawn dish was good, service a little slow but overall a pleasant experience with good atmosphere at good value

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“Positive In All Apects”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

During our last night in Hanoi, jonesing for some western food, we looked up for some ideas in TA found this place rated as #1 in all of Hanoi decided to give it a try. The place was not very far from our hotel - so we walked there and found it in a rather quiet street away from all the hustle bustle of Hoan Kiem Lake area. Restaurant was very small with floor to ceiling racks of all sorts of selections of French wines in the name of décor - hence looked more like boutique wine store with few tables and chairs scattered here and there – which felt cozy and inviting. The service was decent. Not overly polite but just common sense oriented service that is prompt, friendly and surprise free. Food items are decently priced. Same goes for wine and other alcohol. They don’t have extensive menu but whatever they served us tasted good. Their table butter was one of the tastiest I have ever tried. Restrooms were clean, and the whole place actually smelled nice. While other restaurants may excel in one area and lacking in the others like - better food but for more price or offer splendid décor and view but error on the final bill or have bend-over-backward service at the table but unclean restrooms – which is what I see in lot of restaurants in SE Asia. But when you leave with positive experience overall on all aspects: food, service, price, cleanliness, décor, and ambiance – I think yes it would earn you #1 spot. Go there for a relaxed and easy dining experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bogota, Colombia
“One word: average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I were looking for a place to have dinner on New Year's Eve. As always I resorted to tripadvisor that stated that this was the number 1 restaurant in Hanoi. The place definitely had a French Bistro ambiance, very lively, and welcoming. We were sat at a table in the second floor next to the wine cava. My father and brother ordered the Prime ribs for two with pepper sauce. My mom and I ordered each a cheese platter (Gouda, emmental and blue cheese). The baguettes that came with the platters were freshly baked. We drank a 2011 Riga Malbec red wine, which our waiter recommended and found it very nice. The cheese platter is small, and the ribs according to them were quite normal.

Overall, I found this restaurant average and not worthy of being Hanoi's number 1. Even though La Badiane is a bit more expensive, it's definitely worth the expense; the food exceeds that of DC Bistro's by far.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Highly recommended!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The best resturant in hanoi!!! French owner, same owner as the resturant in sofitel metropole resturant. Amazing charcuterie and fromage plate!!!! Order the prefix!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere