“Nice little home-like place, but no heater!!” 3 of 5 stars

Joseph's Hang Da Hotel
6C Duong Thanh St | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #28 of 451 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Tokyo
“Nice little home-like place, but no heater!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I booked this hotel as rating on the web had been good on TripAdvisor/Agoda just to check it out (FYI, I have tried >50 hotels in Hanoi, being in Vietnam for 7 years by now.

Overall, this is a good little hotel, just like staying at some friend's house to say. At home, small-scale, and not commercial/industrial, which I liked a lot actually. The room was clean and simple with minimum requirement such as clean bed, working desk, shelf, shower with enough hot water, wifi, and so on. And good location as well.

BUT, the biggest shortcoming in this hotel (or at least my room) was the lack of heating system. It gets quite cold in Hanoi in winter, and we do need a heater, but the hotel (my room) did not have a heater. It was quite freezing at night, and I could not sleep well. I told this to the reception, but only to hear the response that "we do not have a heater." Right, that's what I knew.

I couldn't help wondering why (a) the hotel did not choose two-way air-conditioners rather than one-way (i,e., only cooler) from the beginning, knowing that Hanoi winter would be quite freezing, and (b) the hotel did not install a heater in each room even though they were quite cheap (USD 50, I assume for a halogen heater).

I like this hotel in general, but sorry, I would not come back to this hotel without a heater in the winter (the summer stay would be just excellent as they have A/C-cooler). Hope the issue of the heating system will be fixed soon! Then I would give 5 stars for the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have stayed with Brian at his first Joseph's Hotel many times and tried Joseph's Hang Da on this trip. The hotel is in a great spot, being very central but like an oasis in the chaos at the end of each day. Brian and his staff were very helpful when we needed directions or suggestions for places to eat. Our room was clean and tidy and the breakfast was great! I highly recommend either of the Joseph's Hotels and will be coming back.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street but was pleasantly quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at Joseph's Hotel for over 5 weeks and it was fabulous. Brian, the manager of the Hotel,
was great and helped us coordinate excursions to different areas of Vietnam and had
suggestions of things to do in Hanoi. His staff was excellent and very friendly. Every morning
we had a wonderful breakfast..made to order! Since we were there during the holidays..he
hosted a magnificent Christmas Dinner and we had a very fun gift exchange. We were
very comfortable and felt like home......

Connie and Don Plapinger

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hotel was clean, the breakfasts AMAZING especially the Vietnamese style breakfast. The one thing I'm really not happy about is that the rooms don't have safes. I had brought cash for a tour I was going to go on later, and since there was no safe I carefully hid the money out of sight. Once I went to pay my guide $150 was missing. That really irritated me. But I was already checked out of the hotel and couldn't complain about it. I'm not gonna make a big issue out of it but I just want my fellow travellers to not have the same problem!

Room Tip: Ask the hotel manager for a safe!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Please do not misunderstand my 5 point rating: Joseph's Hang Da Hotel is not the best hotel in Hanoi. No spa, no valet parking, no oysters for breakfast. Okay, and no elevator.

It's just a charming little place to stay, thoughtfully run by people who care about their guests, at a very low price.

The owner, Brian from New Zealand, understands that many people from Western countries appreciate interiors that are not overdecorated, soft beds and breakfasts with cereals, dark bread and jam.

His colleagues have a great attitude of helping their guests. Their English might not be perfect (neither is mine) but they try hard and do their best. One lady called the train station for us to find out about ticket details; the next evening we bumped into her in the street, and she recommended several places to eat. And so it went on and on.

The only major downside of our stay was the wi-fi: it varied between very slow and virtually non-existent. Whether that was a temporary problem or not, a provider or a router problem: I couldn't say.

Technology failed, personality won.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed here at start of our 9 weeks in Vietnam and loved our time here with Brian and his crew. I can now from experience confirm they have the best breakfasts in all Vietnam, great people who really looked after us. Handy location with double glazing which is a blessing anywhere in Vietnam. Highly recommended.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here in early October. I stayed four nights and it began to feel like home. The location is perfect. In the old town and only an easy 20 minute walk to the train station. The rooms are comfortable, nice beds, very nice bathroom. The hotel is quiet and the stay couldn't be more helpful. Breakfast in the morning is something special, they have both western and Vietnamese selections and the noodle soup breakfast is superb. I would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Joseph's Hang Da Hotel? Share your experiences!