“Best experience at a hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gondola Hotel

You added Gondola Hotel to your Saves list
Gondola Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Hang Hanh Street | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 84 4, Vietnam   |
Special Offer
F.O.C P/U - Free Upgrade
Ranked #76 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
sydney
“Best experience at a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was an absolutely brilliant hotel. The staff and all excellent and super helpful, the Operation Manager is the nicest guy imaginable and such a consummate professional who makes the place so special.
The rooms were very nicely appointed, the beds soft (not common in Vietnam), the food wonderful and as much as you want and the bathroom had an excellent shower and bath. I loved this hotel so much, I cam back a second time and if I ever return to Hanoi I will stay there again without a doubt.

Room Tip: I had two different rooms and they were both excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gondola Hotel H, General Manager at Gondola Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Mr. Gentleman,

I will not able to say much more about the hotel Gondola Hanoi, by sharing your compliments to the travelers, you have said it all. We sincerely thank the favor which you dedicated to Gondola Hanoi, the hotel staff, and personally myself.

We were so honored to welcome you at the hotel on last recent occasion. I hope you have had a great summer vacation before returning to frost winter in your country.

We will manage to continuously improve our excellent quality product and service to let all of our honor guests feels Gondola as a home away from home.
We wish you all the bests.
We Look forward to seeing you soon at Gondola Hanoi one day soonest!

Edward Louis (Mr.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had stayed in another hotel for a night, prior to my stay here, which was nice but I was told I could get something better for less money. The Gondola Hotel was the place. It did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived, from the the doorman, to the front desk staff, to the bellman, to the restaurant staff, they epitomized what I have come to expect at a 5 star hotel.. Comparatively speaking it is considerably smaller and perhaps not quite as opulent as a 5 star hotel but it certainly gives you that feel with the most tasteful and very artistic design. The public areas are not only clean, they are beautiful. From the lobby, to the elevator, the restaurant and the rooms. Everything seemed pretty up to date and very well designed.

After being taken up to the room I was pleasantly surprised at how very nice the room was. Though the room was smaller than a 5 star hotel room it genuinely gives you that 5 star feel. They do have much larger rooms and suites available. A control panel next to the bed to control lights in the room and bathroom,. Good quality, visually appealing, antique style furnishings in excellent condition, a variety of good quality toiletries, tooth brushes tooth paste, hair dryer in the bathroom (Very nice bathroom) very attractive and comfortable bedding and more. For the small room rate this place is the "more for your money" alternative that I frequently look for when I'm going to stay somewhere for a week or more.

The dining room staff, just like the rest of the hotel staff, was so attentive, so gracious, so polite, so accommodating, professional and helpful. They offered a wonderful free, all you can eat, breakfast buffet where among the choices includes omelettes made to order along with a range of healthy and delicious breakfast options. Incidentally if you are not tipper, loosen up that wallet and tip these folks. They certainly earn it because they go above and beyond.

The hotel in an excellent location, very close to entertainment and a broad selection of restaurant choices from sidewalk food vendors to somewhat fancy restaurants. Shopping choices are also abundant in the area. You will not have to walk far to explore the many spending options that are available to you.

We were going to stay for 9 nights but I had one problem that caused me to move to another hotel prematurely. I had contracted the flu and fell under it's spell from the first day I arrived. Therefore I had to stay in my room most of the day while my GF went to work each day and we both tried to nurse me back to health. The problem was that because I was sleeping in, I would be subjected to the worse construction noise which would start at about 8am and seemed to be occurring just above my room When I spoke to the lovely front desk manager, she was very sympathetic. She moved back the construction start time to later in the morning allowing me to have an additional couple of hours of sleep and quiet rest. How many establishments do you know of that would accommodate you in this way? Unfortunately since I would be in my room until about 5 pm when my GF would return, I was still subjected to the construction noise, albeit later in the day, but still noisy . So I regrettably had to check out though I loved the place and the staff after having stayed there for about 3 or 4 nights.

I left an adapter in my room but the hotel staff kept it for me and I picked it up without any problem.

At the time that I visited (in October), the highlight of my stay was not the hotel but the female front desk manager who I'm now informed is no longer there. I regret that because I wanted to thank her once again, personally. Now that she is not there, having just called the hotel, it is clear to me that the professionalism,, efficiency, customer service, and ability to deal with English speaking customers has eroded somewhat. I could not believe that I was passed from one person to another as they struggled to understand what I was saying and for me to understand them. I had no such problems when I last visited in October.

Asking for the (female) front desk manager for about the 4th or 5th time, a gentleman came to the phone. When I asked him for the Front desk manager he informed me that he was. Language continued to be a problem as I could not make out what his name was.. He asked me for my phone number so he could call me back. I gave it to him 5 or 6 times. Each time repeating the numbers very slowly but having each word misunderstood. Little by little he finally got the numbers. I gave him the number at about 10am. I still haven't heard back and it's now 7:30pm. I understand that I should not take for granted that there will always be English speakers everywhere I travel but Hanoi is a major international destination. This hotel gets many English speakers. There should at least be one "go to" person at the front desk that is somewhat fluent in English as they had back in October when there was more than one. I hope that communication should be better when you are face to face with them.

In spite of the shortcomings I think you really can't lose and in fact have a lot to gain if you stay at the Gondola, especially if the construction is complete. Be sure to ask about that before you book. I think you will be extremely pleased with your stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure they have finished their hotel improvement project. The noise during the day was distract...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Gondola Hotel H, General Manager at Gondola Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Gentlemen,

Thank you for choosing Gondola Hanoi for your last stay in October 2012!
We have been in touch with Ms. Hong, with whom you would like to look for to say thank you. Regarding to her permission, I’ll personally send you her contact as you wishes.

I was sorry for not having able to talk to you on the phone at the first time due to the noise and interference of the phone line. Luckily for the second time, it was very clear and our conversation thus went smoothly. I hope you can continue sharing with other travelers on that previous misunderstanding of our current service, and I’m delighted to share with our hotel staffs how you enjoyed staying with us.

Your experience greatly indicated to the travelers how well we served the guests in our hotel. We are more than happy to hear the praise from you, hence always remember taking care of our honor guests, giving more thoughtful but professional idea to the guests in both action and our mindset

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at Gondola Hanoi.

Edward Louis (Mr.)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Went through a tour company and stayed in the hotel twice.
Pros: The staff is very friendly and polite and we were upgraded to a suite on one occasion. The rooms and bathroom and clean and neat.
Cons: The wifi in the room is slow and more importantly our air conditioner on both occasions worked poorly. Despite setting it to the lowest temperature, it was warm in the room.
Given that it was very hot in Hanoi when we travelled, the bad AC might have impacted my opinion of the hotel more than usual.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The staff from reception,to the cleaners have bên excellent!
Iost mymumon my arival day.Mr Edward,the managerwasso sympatheticaswell á the otherstaff members.The rooms r clean.lót ò variety in breakfast.

Room Tip: needs a swimming pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at the Gondola Hotel for four nights in May, we had a wonderful time there, the Hotel was great. very clean and the staff couldn't do enough for you. We stay firstly for three nights ( I booked it with the hotel and they gave us the room we requested, which was lovely),we then went to Holong Bay overnight and returned for another night, they gave us back the same room. They looked after our luggage.\ whilst we were at Holong Bay.
The Hotel is in a great position easy two minute walk to the Lake and the old quarter
Many thanks to all the lovely staff they really made our stay very pleasant, we would recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

we spend 2 night at gondola hotel hanoi, the room is beautiful, big enough and comfortable bed, it have a big bathroom and clean. the staffs are very friendly and helpfull. they try to explain a location for us, and print a map for us. the hotel is well located, you can search many shop near the hotel, and in front of the hotel there is a painter, we bought 8 painting from them and very cheap.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The best hotel we have been in on our trip to Vietnam, clean, friendly and in the middle of the action in Hanoi. At breakfast, you can ask for black tea instead of green or flavoured and it comes hot, not warm and stewed. Food appears fresh. I wish we had more time here, but we are off to Sa Pa. They looked after our luggage and gave us a late checkout at no extra cost.

Room Tip: High up rooms are away from the street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gondola Hotel? Share your experiences!