“A little oasis in the middle of Hanoi!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 834 restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vegetarian, International, Healthy, Café
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Social Club is an oasis in a quiet laneway in the heart of Hanoi, serving excellent coffee and tea, and hearty meals, including a wide range of vegetarian choices. Come and enjoy this creative space (including our terrace garden) and relaxed vibe, day or night.If you desire a bit of Vietnam, try our cafe trung (fabulous egg coffee) or some viet fries (made with bamboo shoots!).
Seattle, Washington
“A little oasis in the middle of Hanoi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had been in Saigon now for about a month and had decided to go to Hanoi to "escape". After a month or so in Viet Nam, one of the things we wanted to experience was something not "too Vietnamese" but still in Viet Nam. The Hanoi Social Club was just that. The atmosphere was very comfortable; it feels as though the owner/manager of the place understood how expats feel! While there was nothing wrong with being in Vietnam, the Club allowed for a person to escape that world for just moment. It was great!

The food selection was a variety of fusion of western and eastern cusine. We were there twice and ordered sandwiches and salads both times. The food tasted great and rather comforting. There was free wifi, and the seating arrangements ranged from tables with chairs to arm chairs and couches. There were both indoor and outdoor seating.

The wait staff were funky and all seemed to enjoyed being there, so they made the customers very much welcomed. We could have sat there for hours and not noticed the time had gone by!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Disney World, Florida
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I went to the Hanoi Social Club hoping to get a good meal and a place to chill/get some work done.

Arriving at the end of the lunch "rush" I asked to sit upstairs. The host told me there were only small tables available, I said that would be fine as I was dining solo. She said it was more comfortable downstairs and to wait for the large group at the big table to leave and I could have their table. In the meantime, I sat at a smaller table while they were finishing. Just as my drink arrived they asked me to move to the big table -- and by move, I mean I had to bus my own table. Finally my sandwich arrived - large and tasteless falafel - and just as I'm nearly finished eating, another waitress asks me to move to a different smaller table to accommodate a group of 6 near the front who had been there since before I arrived. I was floored they they would do this after denying me my preferred seating - at a small table upstairs where all of this hassle could have been avoided - in the first place.

I felt so unwelcome by this service that I scrapped my plans for coffee and desert. I don't know if all solo diners receive this treatment or if this was an unusual day but it's enough for me to stay away for good.

From now on, I'll be patronizing Joma, just around the corner, with better food, service and prices. Oh, and they let you pick your table and don't hustle you around.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
England
“A little difficult to find but well worth the pursuit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

A great place for tasty food. Good menu range. Lovely atmosphere and not too expensive. It's a few doors down a side street coming off the location on the map. Look for the little sign about head height!

Visited August 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Cool place, definitely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very nice place, I really like to go there to read a book or some magazines (they have a nice choice), sipping my vietnamese ice coffee. They also have breakfast in music and some evenings concerts and events sometimes.The food is average though (at least the two times I tasted it, perhaps I was just unlucky). But definitely a place to go for the atmosphere!!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Chill...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Love the place so so much.. There's airconditioning which is very welcoming. Very chill and reasonable price.

• 4 of 5 stars Food