“Tranquil hangout spot with tasty food” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, International, Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Social Club is an oasis in a quiet laneway in the heart of Hanoi, serving excellent coffee and tea, and hearty meals, including a wide range of vegetarian choices. Come and enjoy this creative space (including our terrace garden) and relaxed vibe, day or night.If you desire a bit of Vietnam, try our cafe trung (fabulous egg coffee) or some viet fries (made with bamboo shoots!).
hanoi
“Tranquil hangout spot with tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Social Club is perfect place to while away the afternoon. Spatially it is more like a quirky cafe, with couches, beanbag chairs and tables scattered throughout a selection of rooms on different floors (including a roof.) But the food is definitely good restaurant quality. I recommend the chocolate strawberry muffin (unbelievable) the leafy green salad with goat cheese and the french fries but the goulash and Moroccan chicken are great too. There are enough choices to satisfy anyone.
When some friends told me about it, it seemed like too much of a stereotypical "expat" cafe for my taste, but I am really glad that I gave it a chance because it has become one of my favorite spots in Hanoi. The clientele is a really nice blend of young Vietnamese hipsters and expats. Bring cash and make sure you have time to relax and enjoy it! No one will rush you and you can happily move from breakfast to smoothies to lunch to coffee.

This place is good for:
-low key hanging out with friends on the rooftop, especially in the evening. The plants on the roof are relaxing and the music is diverse but always good quality. It's cool during the day but it does get warm so I'd bring sunglasses. There are good fans through and as soon as 4pm rolls around it will cool down.

-studying or reading on the main floor where there is A/C. There is wifi and it works a little bit on the roof (as in, i can check my gmail on my phone) but it is much much more reliable on the main floor.

It also seems like it would be a nice spot for a date-- I often see couples snuggling or giggling and enjoying themselves, especially on the second floor with its' more intimate spaces.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Vietnamese first
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited the Hanoi social club as I had been researching restaurants that served vegetarian food as we are travelling with a Vegan friend and it had good reviews..
I am soooo glad I did! We went for lunch and while it is a mainly vegetarian menu there was enough choice for us meat eaters to be satisfied.. The vegie dishes sound amazing anyway and I would have been more than happy with any of them!
We ordered the vegie burger, chick satay wrap & vegie wrap.. They were all delicious!!
Friendly staff, cruisey atmosphere & while a little more expensive (for Hanoi, which is still cheap!) the value for money is well worth it.. We all loved it and wish there was one back home in Oz! It would be a great local.. :-)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“More a cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went for dinner. Menu is quite small, with mainly western dishes. Nice relaxing place. I would say more a cafe or place for a quiet drink than a restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
England
“Chill out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

An excellent place to chill out. We didn't eat - only popping in for a drink, but the menu looked good with plenty of vegetarian options. When peopls meals arrived it looked to be generous portions. The place it's self occupies various rooms and will appeal to some customers more so than others. I loved it!

Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Tranquil spot - ideal for a quiet time with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Tranquil three floor cafe with comfy chairs, quirky decor and posters, roof garden and all in all great downtime place. Not so easy to find, but once I did I spent a couple of hours there working away and enjoying a low key meal - ginger and lemongrass tea (great 'n spicey); mango curry with brown rice (needed a bit more bite) and Vietnamese coffee (condensed milk at the bottom - don't stir too hard!) with Vietnamese vanilla ice cream, nuts and nougat (although couldn't find the latter). Good service. Great place for a quiet time and good food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere