“Great location for backpackers seeking old quarter.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

You added May De Ville Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
May De Ville Backpackers Hostel
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Hai Tuong Lane / 24 Ta Hien Str | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 1000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #12 of 156 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
“Great location for backpackers seeking old quarter.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Myself and 2 friends stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May 2013. We booked for 2 nights in the dorm from hostelbookers. We chose this hotel for its location and seemingly good prices and good reviews.

We arrived at lunch time to check in, having already booked our room we didn't expect to find any problems. The hotel had double booked the dorm for our first night and we were given a better room for a "discounted price". After a 30 hour bus journey we couldn't be bothered to argue. The private room we were given was lovely with one double bed and one single. It was clean and had air con, wifi and a tv. Luxurious by our backpacker standards. We checked out at lunchtime and were made to wait for 2 hours in the lobby as the dorm still wasn't ready for us. After some arguing with the staff about what prices we would be paying for the dorm, we were given our beds. One bed had a broken locker so we tried to change the bed with reception which they said was fine; after we had told them which bed and locker they fixed it, but had again double booked one of our beds with a girl who had just arrived. So we had to clear up that situation before we could go out for the day.

I would say if you can get into the dorms this hostel is reasonably priced for budget backpackers. Although the wifi wasn't working on our floor, we were happy to have air con and breakfast included in the price.

The staff were friendly but pretty useless at communication which was what lead to our problems. Overall this was a good place to stay and I would stay again if in Hanoi.

• Stayed May 2013
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear our Guest !
On behalf of our hostel management, I would send our sincerely thanks for your wonderful comment regarding our hotel staff, the room cleanness and room amenities, the location… It is always very gratifying to know you had a great vacation with services offered by our hotel team. I will be certain to pass on your wonderful comments to whole team. We promise to keep the service up to deserve your trust.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Your faithfully

May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This Hostel was recommended to me by a school teacher who has been there before.
Our party of six was on a motor cross trip around the north off road Vietnam excellent brilliant
I can not speak highly enough of this hostel, picked up from the airport. rooms are highly finished
40 inch Sony Tv, air con ,lap top, safe, en suite in house phone and wi fi.and breakfast all for $25 us dollars a night. the manager and staff where extremely helpful.
Our rooms were cleaned every day,and no valuables went missing good honest staff.
We booked our trip through the Hostel and went with ODC travel to visit Halong bay three days two night. are trip was $239 Us Dollars and was great,we went to cat ba Island on a four star Hotel which alone was $135 us dollars. boat was good the guide was great food was awesome.
Dave young.

Room Tip: All the rooms are way above adequate but the family rooms are the larger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear David Young !
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a highest praise on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to hear that you had received such warm hospitable service from our staff, and had enjoyed your trip in Vietnam. Your compliments are a great source of motivation for all of us.

Please return to May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, whenever you visit Hanoi.
We are more than happy to welcome you back to our (Home) anytime.

Yours sincerely,

Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are some stellar reviews for this hostel and I'd like to contribute. I'd had some good experiences and some bad. Here's the good: the dorm beds are clean and cheap. It comes with breakfast and the A/C will keep you cool during the blistering heat of Hanoi. The water downstairs is cheap and the snacks are a normal price. The 2nd floor has a great movie room for watching flicks and playing pool. I got sick as hell for 4 days and it saved my butt. That was the good. The bad really upsets me. This is my 2nd time to Vietnam and I was especially looking forward to my return experience to Halong Bay. I decided to pay twice what I paid last time and have a bit more luxury. There were 6 of us booking the tour and what essentially happened was that they told us everything they thought we wanted to hear in order to get the business. They said the boat was 2 years old - more like twenty and the list goes on. Cockroaches, bathroom doors without handles, lousy food. We asked if they would pick up more passengers over the weekend, they said no - it was another lie. Cooking class was a lesson on make your own spring roll as in 1 spring roll. Our tour guide left half way through and was replaced by some other guy. It was just a joke. So stay there and enjoy it. Don't book tours with them. We booked train tickets and despite much notice they did not refund our tickets though other hostels have done the same with less notice. And to boot they said they charge a 10% booking fee. We booked top bunk hard sleepers and after we paid discovered it was a 30% booking fee. You are a walking cash machine there. Stay there if you're on a budget. Its nice and worth a stay. Don't book tours or travel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you are pleased with the quality of our guest room. We sincerely apologize that we have failed to impress you with train ticket service & Halong Bay Trip. Please allow us to explain about the difference of train ticket price & Halong Bay !

The first reason: It is the peak season at the time you booked the ticket, moreover those ticket has been booked close to the departure date => we had to book the ticket via intermediary agent (the tickets were sold out in the company) so the price is more expensive than regular price and you have also been informed of this before booking the tickets by our staff.

The second reason: We were suggested by our previous Guests reasonably that the pick up and drop off service from hotel to the train station and return is really necessary for Guests to avoid any trouble, any inconvenience for our Guests so this reasonable suggestion is applied on all train ticket bookings booked with our hotel. In this case, the price you paid is not only for the train ticket but also included the pick up & drop off service (from our hotel to the train station and return - 2 ways). In addition, we had staff escorted you every time to make sure you have a smooth journey. . We sincerely apologize for the negligence of the staff did not explain a particular way so made the inconvenience caused but this experience has been passed to all staff from now on wards that it’s a mandatory to consult hostels' opinion if they would require to pay this service separately to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings occur again.

The third reason : Surely , the boat 2 years start the cruise for Halong Bay. Because, the Government said all the boat must painting white all the boat in Halong. The boat is looked is older than 2 years after cruise in Halong Bay ( All the boat in Halong Bay is the same problem It is not just our boat ) . So , The rain , the sun will make the boat is change during the time. That right you think the boat is older than 20 years
You know, inside the boat is nice, comfortable room , nice food on boat & great staff.

Please rest assured that our most concern is your satisfaction. We always try our best to work hard day and night how to bring our Hoste as the best service as possible because we deeply understand that our existence absolutely depend on your satisfaction.

Thank you so much for your valuable time to read our reply.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Your faithfully

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked this hostel based on recommendations here and I'm glad I did. I took advantage of their hotel pickup for $15 and even though the flight was delayed for more than an hour, the driver patiently waited for me. It was a redeye flight so when I got at the hotel, we had to wake the front desk person up ( I was kinda surprised though I've read somewhere smaller hotels closes at night). It was my first time staying at a backpackers' place so I had to remind myself several times it's not a hotel lol. I had to bring my luggage up myself.

For the first night, I booked a private room for $24. I couldn't really say much bout it since I was there for maybe 5 hours ( I was on tour as early as 6am and then left for the train station in the afternoon). It was clean though, wifi was working fairly well. I enjoyed the complimentary coffee. I wasn't able to use the laptop since the adaptor was not compatible.

Manh Tien, the sales manager, was really enthusiastic ( I think that was his name). I booked all my train tickets with him from Hanoi -Hue and Da nang - Hanoi. I knew it was a bit costly than if get one from the station but it saved me a lot of hassle. Skip the halong bay day tour though. An hour of it was spent from picking people up from hotels and I got really tired. Travel time was longer than the actual stay at the bay. Also, lunch did not include drinks (huh?). If you have to, haggle and get it down to $25. I got mine for $30 only to find out one of the guests bargained hard with him and got it for $5 less.

I think the service I most appreciated from the hotel was their storage room. After booking my first night with them, I left my luggage to head to Central Vietnam for several days. When I got back, my stuff are all safe and nothing was amiss. I booked a bed at their dorm room for $6 for two nights. really good value. Locker rooms are big, in fact I could fit my luggage in plus some TNF bags I bought. No lock on the shower/bathroom though but no one walks in on anyone. bed, pillow, and blankets really comfortable and breakfast was good.

as for location: it's only about 5minutes walk from the lake (just my guesstimate) and I usually take the route at the back of the Highland Coffee bldg. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: if you're staying at one of the dorm rooms, get the upper bunk bed, it's cooler since you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Our Guest !
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel Hanoi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay in our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your comments are invaluable in ensuring that we maintain our high standards of service for the future guests.

It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and it’s even more rewarding to hear from you that you will recommend to your friend to stay with us.

All in all, thank you for your generous feedback. We, the hotel staffs and customer care team at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel Hanoi are looking forward to welcoming you to our residence again.

Happy Travel !!!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

In my 9 months of travel, this has been hands down the best hostel I have stayed in. The breakfast buffet is amazing with a spectacular view. The rooms are clean, the location is superb, and the air con works perfectly. The lockers are huge and you can fit your entire backpack in them! Finally, the staff is absolutely amazing. When I was in Hanoi in February the manager even drove me to the train station on his way home. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear N S
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, Hanoi

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your choice of accommodation while visiting Hanoi. We much appreciated that you take the time to share your experiences about accommodation to the fellow travelers on TripAdvisor website.

We are so glad to know from your review that you satisfied with our accommodation, in-room amenities, room rate and It would be more than happy to read that our accommodation was worth paying the extra for new, clean rooms and the high level of service. And your comment always drive us strive to provide our guests with a superlative experience while in Hanoi.

Once again, thank you for your generous feedback. We, the staff and hotel management at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel are looking forward to welcoming you to our residence again whether for business or leisure visits.

Your sincerely,
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was nice, very good value for money. Breakfast was ok and common tv room was nice. Bunk bed rooms were ok, big beds, toilet shower room a bit odd though cause of the shape of the room!
Staff friendly, although we booked out Halong bay your through them and were very disappointed, it just wasn't what we were sold!
Apart from that it was a pod hostel.

• Stayed May 2013
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Warm greetings from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience at our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that our services and facilities have been up to your expectations. I will pass on your kind words to the team as it will certainly motivate them to keep up their good work.

However we are sorry to hear your comment regarding the noise from the next door when you had breakfast . We take this issue very seriously and are taking significant steps so that a similar situation does not occur again. Please accept our most sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Best regards.
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was not what you would expect from a backpackers hostel....we had a double room with city views, small laptop in room, free wifi...own ensuite....always clean. Amazing price, AU$35, couple with breakfast. Breakfast is not special, get in early...but as I'm not a big breakfast eater it was fine. The staff were always very friendly and very helpful eg. arranging taxis & laundry. Right in the middle of the Old Quarter, very easy to walk from the hostel to the eateries and the centre of Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear our Guest !
Thank you for your gracious comments for May De Ville after your recent stay at the hotel.

I am happy to know that you have an enjoyable time with us, especially with regards to the location, the room, and our staff.

While we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests, your comments serve as a big encouragement to all of us.

Thank you and I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back upon your next visit.

With kind regards,

May De Ville Team

Been to May De Ville Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!