“Souless. That's all.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #273 of 834 restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Brand new restaurant on 'food street', beautiful building, incredible dishes such as pork belly, poached salmon. Great guys trying to do a great thing in Hanoi. Definitely worth a visit.
Ho Chi Minh
“Souless. That's all.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Southgate is overpriced for Hanoi nightscene. We really don't mind paying as long as everything is great.

I think the products they use are good enough, the service is ensured; but no doubt there's a lot to improve for a better ambiance and pricing.

Visited May 2012

84% Recommend
Hoi An, Vietnam
“A menu to suit all tastes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

While traveling I am trying to eat heathy salads and fruit. The menu provided that choice for me but I couldn't resist the pana cotta dessert. fabulous. The coffee was great.

I stayed at the Hanoi Sky hotel, well pleased with the hotel and you can order room service from the Southgate menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Spoiled food, bad service, bad WiFi, high prices (for no reason)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I went to this restaurant based on tripadvisor's reviews and despite the fact I had to take a taxi to get there. I was terribly disappointed:

Spoiled food:
- watermelon juice was spoiled, so I had to refuse to drink it
- ketchup bottle opened with a sound of gas, and indeed it was spoiled and fermenting

bad service:
- I had to ask the waitress twice for ketchup before I got the bottle of ketchup which turned out to be spoiled
- the waitress barely spoke any English

bad Wifi:
- when sitting outdoors on the 2nd floor, WiFi signal was too weak to connect

high prices:
- the menu has high prices (e.g. 275,000 VND, apx. 13+ USD) for a steak
- I was surprised to discover that menu prices excluded 10% tax, so prices are even higher than the menu shows

I really expected much more of this restaurant.

If you want to enjoy a great experience of international and/or Vietnamease food - look for Gecko (they have 6 locations in Hanoi, e.g. in 89 Hang Bo street. Check them out at www.geckogroup.com.vn)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“The Very Best Burger in Hanoi, hands down!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I have been on a search for the best hamburger in Hanoi. Actually, I have been on a search for a good burger in Hanoi. Wow! This place delivers. I went for lunch by myself and sat outside on the ground level. A pleasant setting and a good place to people watch. The staff was quick to bring the menu, attentive and took the order when ready. I ordered the 200gm beef burger with a draft beer. The beer was big (it seemed) and cold. When the waitress brought the beer she let me know the burger would take some time to cook. It is nice to not be forgotten while wating. The burger came before the first beer was finished. It was a good size with a black and white sesame seed bun. It was deliver a bit more than the medium well I ordered, but close enough for Hanoi. The fries were very good. The quality of the burger was excellent with a very good, fresh grilled taste. Easily the best burger I have ever eaten in Hanoi. I finished up with an espresso from puntoitaliano. Excellent meal and reasonably priced for the quality. The only complaints are that the menu mentions that the bruiger comes with a small salad, which it did not come with...unless they are counting the lettuce on the hamburger. Also, the first beer was delivered with a significant chip in the lip of the glass. Chipped drinking glasses are NEVER accpetable. Toss them and go with a new one. Otherwise, it was great.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phnom Penh
“Sydney meets Hanoi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

After a week eating all Vietnamese food from street eats to white tablecloth places we decided a change was needed. We looked up western restaurants on google in hanoi and this popped up as number one in hanoi so we went to check it out. First it's quite an imposing Villa on food street surronded by local places all around and quite busy street. The restaurant was nicely minimalist downstairs with a long bar tables and corner lounges though we sat outside as the weather was fantastic. We were served by a lovely young man who was mixed vietnamese who spoke polish, english, french, and vietanmese. We had calamari, beet salad, pho cuon, duck and beef rib with espresso and chocolate tort to finish. All amazing the western and the vietnamese. To drink we had a nice bottle of french red and a well made old fasioned and martini to start. It was a great time away from the craziness of the streets and it was good value coming out to less than $100. On the way out we chatted to the floor manager a mixed candaian asian who spoke another four languages and was wonderful, highly recommmend if you want good food, great drinks and nice music.

• Visited March 2012