“Brilliant in every way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection

You added Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Trang Tien Street | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Business Package
Ranked #62 of 513 Hotels in Hanoi
Certificate of Excellence 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for four nights with a family of 9. We booked through an Accor promo book 1 room get the second 50% off so it was great value. Had we paid full price or if I was travelling as a couple I probably would pay a bit more to stay at the Metropole for an overall experience.

We had 4 rooms on the same high floor - one deluxe suite facing the courtyard, one standard courtyard and 2 facing the street. They were all identical except some had armchairs vs a recliner and naturally the suite was much bigger with a walkin wardrobe space by the entrance.
The first night I stayed in a street facing room and was woken at 6am by continual loud shouting and music playing on loudspeakers outside. It actually felt like the loudspeaker was directed at our window. At first I thought it was propaganda but it was actually a school closeby. We moved rooms to face the internal courtyard for the rest of the stay and it was the best couple of nights sleep i had across Vietnam. The rooms are dark, quiet and the plush oversized beds are the biggest and most comfortable I have ever slept in. I want to buy the bed.

Other pros : good clean location in the French quarter - although have a printout of the address as the name L'Opera not one cabbie understood. Lobby and bar is stylish and on most nights they had a young band playing acoustic versions of popular songs. Rooms had free wifi and bathrooms (retro pink with lit up vanity mirrors) had a sitting area with quality toiletries. The neon blue light behind the bed head was trippy. Gave my elderly mother a headache!
The concierge was very helpful - I needed to recharge my local sim and they went out and bought me a top up card.

Cons: whilst the concierge was great, the front reception staff were rude, unhelpful and slow. No smiles and their English was not great. I have to say I found service across vietnam in general to be better in the south than their northern counterparts.
The pool area was small and the pool itself nothing I write home about. A handful of loungers but you wouldn't lie around anyway. The pool area was quite damp and foggy - a lot of condensation.
Breakfast buffet had limited variety for a hotel this size. Dinner was expensive and the worst meals we had the entire trip. Room service menu was extensive but they would be better off doing less, better. A croque Monsieur was a chunky cheese and bacon bread. The savoury pizza was on sweet puff pastry. All very odd. Pastas were ok.

All in all a stylish and comfortable hotel - great accommodation but not the full experience - just don't dine there (go to Quan An Ngon a dining hall a few minutes away for all types of yummy vietnamese food, clean and cheap) and as long as you don't need anything from reception or expect hospitality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Mango53,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review and for highlighting the many positive aspects of your recent stay with us such as the comfortable beds, location and our Concierge service.
However, we were disappointed to hear that others prove less satisfactory for which I would like to offer you our sincere apologies.
The noise in the morning is one beyond our control: a unique (and inescapable!) aspect of Hanoi life is a city-wide tannoy system that broadcasts daily news, interspersed with music all over the city in the morning. Whilst I appreciate that it takes a little getting used to, perhaps it could also be seen as part of the general hustle and bustle which lends a rather unique vibrancy to this colourful city?
Unreserved apologies for the unfriendly service you experienced from our reception team, which is clearly unacceptable - if a little out of character considering the fact that we normally get very positive feedback about the team’s general friendliness and helpfulness. We have already shared your comments with the team and will address this point in particular during forthcoming trainings.
The same goes for the disappointment concerning our food, which are being taken very seriously. Having said this, I was surprised that you describe our breakfast selection as limited: besides a great variety of Asian and western breakfast specialties available from our buffet, we offer a live cooking station for freshly prepared egg dishes and Vietnamese Pho, on top an extensive a la carte menu for dishes freshly prepared from our main kitchen. However, if you have any specific recommendations what you feel we should add over and above this, I would be grateful if you could perhaps advise me directly on email address bodo.klingenberg@accor.com as we always welcome such comments from our clients.
I hope the negative points will not deter you from staying with us again. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Hotel de l’Opera soon.
Kind regards
Nonthaburi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel and it was very enjoyable. Good location, one of the more quiet part of the city. Hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient. The suit we stayed was grand and well appointed. What impressed me the most was indeed the bed. It is huge and very comfortable. We had a little problem with air conditioner the night we arrived (the heater did not seem to work) but with one phone call the staff came promptly with portable heater and the next day it was fixed.

The evening wine, cocktails and canape' complimentary was a nice treat. Breakfast was very good. We dined at the hotel restaurant at lunch and the food was excellent. Service was sometimes slow but not to be complained. I found the Vietnamese F&B staff's attitude very good. They were polite, friendly, eager to learn and to improve.

We will come back again when we are in Hanoi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Kitty S,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi for your stay. We are pleased to read your comments about the hotel and greatly appreciate that you took time to sharing the gracious comments.

It gives us such a pleasure to learn that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. Also, thank you for praising our associate, your words are a great dedication to creating memorable experiences to the valued guests.

Kitty S, we feel grateful for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to hotel de l'Opera Hanoi..

With warm regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Since I visit Hanoi every week, I chose this hotel for my comfy.

This hotel is a great solution of accommodation for a short visit in Hanoi with brand-new interiors (after refurbishment from former Dan Chu hotel).
Fully-equipped rooms and plus gym, swimming pool, restaurants; Hotel de l'Opera is wonderful for those who have business trip to Hanoi and tourists who can afford the price at 130++/room/nite and above.
Everything seems perfect except for the culinary/cuisine which is not as same value as the price of 5-star-hotel.
I hope the Executive Chef will improve and propose the menu which can add a huge value to this hotel.
I would like to give another opinion in my next visit in Hanoi.

Room Tip: The best room is the one overlooking the Opera House and from 4th floor (should not choose a room fa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear FiFiPham,

I am writing in regards to the feedback you post after your stay at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi.

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us about your experience, and we were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you very much also for the gracious review of our room and especially the service from our associates. Your feedback will serve as inspiration for the entire team to continue working with passion, and maintain the high standards.

FiFiPham, I am sorry for the inconvenience encountered regarding to the food that did not meet your expectations, I'll pass your comment to our F&B team so we can find the problem.

Again, thank you for choosing the hospitality of Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in a not too distant future.

With warmest regards,

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed here for one night and enjoyed it.

The immediate thing I noticed upon entering was the design. Quite different, stylish, almost too much for my taste.

Check-in was efficient and fast and we were in our rooms within 10 minutes.

The room design is, again, stylish. The bed is VERY tall, almost requiring you to climb up into it. I do not know how small, Vietnamese ladies manage it. However, it is VERY comfortable and the pillows were just right for me, soft but not too soft.

The TV was interesting, standard Samsung flat-screen but surrounded with a pewter coloured frame!

The bathroom as well was different. Pink tiles but a very nice design. Separate shower and toilet. All very new.

Breakfast the next morning was average. The breakfast room itself is very nice. Two, large, connecting rooms with lots of light. Ventilation seems to be an issue, as they had large, industrial fans around. The menu is standard, with a buffet and a noodle and egg station.

My breakfast experience was not so good. The chef at the noodle and egg station did not seem to understand my order of an omelette and then proceeded to ignore the order and serve another guest some noodles. I then ordered my eggs off a waiter and they took 15 minutes to arrive.

Apart from that minor experience; a good hotel and I will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi Mark_from_Thailand,

Thank you for your great feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and had a memorable moment with us.

I am however sorry that the breakfast experience did not meet with your expectation, I will pass your comment to F&B service team, please kindly rest assured that we will have appropriate measure to fix the problem.

Thank you again and allow us to have another chance to welcome you back really soon.

With kind regards,

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - member of MGallery Collection
Charleville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights at Hotel de l'Opera in January and enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The room was a beautiful luxe hideaway with an amazing fairytale bed and great bathroom. The interior styling is dark lacquered floors and walls with pops of bright jewel colours and lush fabrics, designer lighting and a divine floor rug. We enjoyed all of the hotel facilities including the buffet breakfast and the spacious relaxing courtyard - an oasis after a day soaking up busy Hanoi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel provides high standard of rooms and common areas. The pool was excellent. Staff are very committed to providing a high quality service and assist clients. The food was of a very high standard and value for money. I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Hanoi.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Been to Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!