“Our only disappointment in 3 weeks of travel” 2 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Owner description: The Sinh Tourist is the best company in Vietnam
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“Our only disappointment in 3 weeks of travel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I would advise caution in booking with this firm. Prior to our visit to Vietnam I booked, via the Sinh Tourist website, for 2 tours – an overnight stay in Halong Bay, and a 3-day, 2-night trip on the Mekong, which included stays in 2 hotels before travelling to Phnom Penh.

For the Halong Bay trip, the website offered various possibilities at different prices, and I chose accordingly. However we did not go on the boat that I had selected and I can only wonder if the level of comfort and food provided etc was what we had actually paid for, or if we were short-changed.

Things got worse with the second trip which was cancelled at one week’s notice. We were offered other, shorter trips which would cost the same. (I was finally given a very small refund.) In the end we took a one-day tour which was really a half day as we then spent the afternoon travelling by bus to Chau Doc, where the standard of the hotel was poor and the dinner was at a local café. The upside was the travel by fast boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh which I would recommend over bus transport. However this was all very much more expensive than travelling independently (and we really only had the services of a tour guide for half a day, instead of 3 days). It also necessitated a change in our Phnom Penh hotel as we had to stay an extra night there and had to cancel our original hotel booking.

I think it would be better not to pre-book these tours, but visit one of the many tour agents once you’re in Vietnam and find a good deal. I don’t think we got one!

Visited June 2014
TheSinhT0urist, Manager at The Sinh Tourist Day Tours, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Tony R,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to receive your feedback on what did not meet your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and always aim to provide the best possible services. We apologize for the inconsistent service and any inconvenience it has caused. Please accept our following explanation:

You were originally booked on Ha Long tour cruising by Elizabeth boat. The tour was changed for the better from Elizabeth boat to a more comfortable Golden Lotus boat that provided the same sightseeing activities of comparable services. It is noted that Golden Lotus boat tour costs higher than Elizabeth boat. We always strive for customer satisfactions and are happy to know that all of our customers’ comments on the tour left at the end of it are positive and encouraging.

To improve our Mekong tour ending in Phnom Penh, we have made some reasonably necessary changes, i.e. Hai Chau hotel in replacement of downgraded Ngoc Phu hotel, use of a high speed boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh instead of low boat. As a result, the tour price has gone up to some extent. Finally we suffered the increased price and made a reasonable refund to you after seeking your agreement.

Please accept our apology for the changes.

Thank you for choosing TheSinhTourist and look forward to serving you better.

Sincerely

TheSinhTourist

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 attraction reviews
“Stay away from this company for Halong bay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My group did a day trip with the Sinh tourist and very disappointed with all services from picked at my hotel in Hanoi and finished at water puppet theater . An hour waited at hotel to be picked with fully bus ,nearly 30 people inside uncomfortable bus with crazy driver and with different payment ,some paid double price as my payment .The boat was too old with not enough places for people seating on sundeck ,poor quality lunch .Driver refused bring us back our hotel and we must walking back my hotel from theater back hotel after long day . Halong bay is extremely beautiful landscapes with many amazing islands ,caves and floating villages . I am going to do at least 2 days trip if return here !

Visited May 2014
TheSinhT0urist, Manager at The Sinh Tourist Day Tours, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
To Whom It May Concern,

You would not be disappointed if you purchased your tickets from the real 'TheSinhTourist' Office at 52 Luong Ngoc Quyen St., Hoan Kiem Dist., Ha Noi

1) We sell our tickets at fixed prices so there are no cases of two travelers went to the same tour but had to pay for different prices

2) Our Ha Long tour is a good quality tour with professional drivers and new boats.

3) We never combine the Ha Long 1 day tour with the water puppet show. The reason is that the ETA of the tour back at Ha Noi is around 8:00PM, our guests would be too tired to do the next activity (the water puppet show), not to mention that guests also have to go for dinners.

4) (Speaking on behalf of whatever a company you purchased your tickets from) You could not expect that the bus would drop you at the water puppet theatre, waited for you and picked you up again then dropped you at your hotel. The perfomance is 1 hour long and you could not ask other passengers on your bus to wait for you that long. Of course the bus driver could drop you at the theatre but after the performance finished, you would walk back to your hotel on your own.

Regards,

TheSinhTourist
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Cu Chi tunnels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked a 1/2 tour to the Cu Chi tunnels just outside of Ho Chi Minh City (paid around 110.000 VND + 90.000 VND entrance fee at the tunnels). I have read about the rip off companies before, hence I made sure I booked it at the 'non-fake' office which is located at the De Tham St. in HCMC.
My experience was perfect, we got picked up by the air conditioned bus at 7:30 at their office and it took us about a 2 hr drive to get to the tunnels. The guide was funny and tried to make the best out of it. He informed us well on the history and showed us around and made sure the entire group stayed together as there are many tourists at the tunnels! All in all I had a great day and would definitely recommend it to other tourists.

Visited April 2014
Melaka, Malaysia
“30% Good 70% Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We travelled to Hanoi in a group of six. I have been communicating with their sales team before we reached there. The sales team was quite helpful, I was pleased with that. To be fair, we enjoyed the programme that they have arranged for us in the first three days. The food served and the tour guide was overall satisfying. The most disappointing part is the fourth day when we travelled to Tam Coc. The lunch that they provide us on that day was quite bad until a few of us can't really eat it. The nightmare hit us when we were on the boat tour. My friends, who were on the different boat, was forced to buy food and drink to the boat sailor and buy some hand made bag. they was forced to pay VND 350,000 just for a 325ml of coke, a small pack of "cream O" and a hand made bag (which can be bought for VND 20,000 from the night market in Hanoi). At the end of the trip, they were forced again to pay tips to the boat sailor. Initially, they refused to buy those things from them, but they stop in the middle of the river, until they buy the things. Lastly, the tour guide during that day was sucks. He was irresponsible, and didn't even help us out from this situation.

Visited April 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good and Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Overall I enjoyed the trip, except towards the end...When I booked the tour with a lady staff who promised to pickup and drop off to and from the hotel, I thought that was very convenience as I'm not staying at a hotel near Sinh Tourist. I paid VND 721,000 for the tour (lunch included) and VND130,000 (paid to boat operator at Halong Bay) for the boat ride surrounding Halong Bay.

They picked me up 7 am in the morning of 22/02/2014, it was a 4 hour ride by bus (started at 8:30 am), 4 hours touring around Halong Bay + caves and 4 hours back to Hanoi City. There will be a biological break at a stop in between (after 1.5 or 2 hours) which is quite considerate and reasonable. I must say the trip was enjoyable. During the tour, I met with Thai, Chilean and very friendly Vietnamese local tourists.

However, when the tour finished and we finally arrived at Hanoi City at around 8:40 pm, myself and another 2 groups (we were staying at 3 different hotels) was asked to board a taxi to get back to our hotels. The tour guide paid in advance very little taxi fare and in the end I need to top it up myself. What an irresponsible tour guide!

The next day I went to their office explained to them the situation. Two staffs, a man and a woman were investigating and after a while they quickly reimbursed me the balance and apologized to me. I must say that it was not about the money but the promise made when the tour was booked. I believe Sinh Tourist needs more professional staffs in the office with such efficiency like the two staffs responding to my feedbacks, not the one like the tour guide who lumped everyone into a taxi and paid very little money to brush us off. Please help me to say thank you for the lady staff who helped me to book the tour and those two staffs who listened to me carefully, apologized and reimbursed the money back to me promptly. I suggest Sinh Tourist should make it an effort to send us back to our respective hotels instead of paying us in advance a sum of unreasonable taxi fare to brushed us off. I am overall satisfied and happy with Sinh Tourist except the small hiccup caused by the tour guide.

I will definitely consider a tour with Sinh Tourist again in my next trip here.

p.s: My previous review was wrongly posted to Sinh Cafe Travel, reported many times but no action was taken. This explain why I re-post my review again here, the right location.

Visited February 2014