“Everything is just a set-up” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 382 activities in Hanoi
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: HanoiKultour is a small private company at the Goethe-Institute, which is specialized to respond individuality to its customers. Whether it goes to a full day city tour with different focus or to a little shopping trip for spouses, whether there are delegations of politicians or business people expect or journalists who are provided with the latest information, we are a special point for all those who appreciate to approach the culture of Vietnam away from touristic paths...
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Everything is just a set-up”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I booked a shopping tour via Hanoikultour. That was the worst experience we’ve ever had. They led us to the silk village Vinh Phuc, the pottery village Bat Trang. There were a lot of interesting shops and things to buy but they didn’t let us go in there. They took us to a neighborhood of three or four shops next together and it seemed that they knew each other very well. I think they set up some arrangements and the tour guide just led us to their shops and get the commission.

The tour guide blah-blahed about the history of these places. He guaranteed that all the products they sell here were genuine and encouraged us to buy them and bring them home as souvenirs or gifts. Some of the tourists in our group were very excited. But I know it was all a dirty cheat for us foreigners because I decided to test the silk at Vinh Phuc right in the shop they took me to. I bought a “silk” handkerchief like they introduced for $12. I took out my lighter and burned it. If it was real silk it would turn into ash, but it cringed like other artificial fibres we are wearing everyday. I asked the shop to return my money but they acted as if they don’t understand English anymore and ignored my request! In the end, they told me that because I’d damaged the handkerchief so they wouln’t accept money return. When I told the tour guide he could only say sorry and wish me better luck next time ?!?!

Bad trip, irresponsible locals and tour guide, worst experience!

Visited September 2011
christian_oster, Manager at HanoiKultour - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
"HanoiKultour" does not offer the above described shopping tour in its program. This tour was demonstrably not booked via us. We organize individual tours, tailored to our customers preferances, no mass tours. Since founding the company, we have not once had a single US American customer. This whole thing must be a misunderstanding.
Christian Oster, Director, Hanoikultour.