“Great looking hotel but poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza West Hanoi

You added Crowne Plaza West Hanoi to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza West Hanoi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Le Duc Tho Street, My Dinh Commune | Tu Liem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #133 of 507 Hotels in Hanoi
Manila
“Great looking hotel but poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This place is far from where the action is. You will lose out on the taxi fare because the old quarters (where most of the shopping and touristy places are) is just far from it. I was expecting the hotel to at least give the guests free shuttle rides to the city and back considering that there are some taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter on tourists and would prefer that you contract with them. Oh well, never again.
Upon check in, even if I had reserved 4 months in advance, with a letter from their sales manager stating the kind of room I wanted (since we are celebrating our anniversary) they were not giving us the room i had specifically asked for. They probably thought that since I was asian they can just trick/bully me and force me to stay in a three bedroom suite. What are we going to do with three beds? Anyway, I kept repeating that I was given a confirmation for a room with a King sized bed, she kept saying there is none because the hotel was full...I did not relent and after 1 minute, she said..oh there is a room available right now...Obviously, she was keeping the room for the non-asians coz it had a good view. Talk about discrimination. I stayed for two nights and transferred to a boutique hotel in the city which treated us very well even if we were asians.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear crystalcave,

Thank you for your stay with us at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi. We would also like to say thank you for taking time to post this review on TripAdvisor. All comments are valued and appreciated.

We will pass your comments to our management team for appropriate actions so that we can do our utmost to provide great service to all guests.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

the rooms are typical what you find in a business class but i found the service at the front desk and room service to be very odd . service at the restaurant was very good . when i asked for additional tea bags in the room they said we were allowed only 2 per day which was very odd to hear from a 5 star hotel chain . also they said the same when we ordered additional water bottles . another humorous incident was when i asked for a late checkout from 12 pm to 2 pm they said i had to go to the front desk and enrol in their loyalty program to avail of this . very strange . other than that it was fine

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Manish A,

Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is in a suburb far from downtown tourist areas and CBD. Convention center is close though (about 1 KM away), which is why I chose it. Not much immediately outside the hotel - no restaurants or massage places really. That said, taxis are inexpensive and plentiful so easy to go somewhere else and the concierge was knowledgable and helpful with great recommendations.

Airport is about 45 minutes to an hour a way depending on traffic -410k dong one way.

Gym is quite good with treadmills, weight machines and some free weights. Gym was never crowded despite the convention in town. Outdoor pool available but didn't use it.

Breakfast spread was excellent with wide variety of foods - East Asian, South Asian, Western, etc. Was able to get a capuchino for breakfast (not always feasible in Asia). Ate dinner there once though and wasn't impressed. Wasn't bad but nothing to write home about either. Went to a nearby restaurant (15 minute cab ride - came out to USD $5) and was much happier.

Service was friendly. English language capability was acceptable. Hotel clean and very well maintained. Maid service did an excellent job.

Sleep quality was poor though due to thin walls and door between rooms. I'm a light sleeper so I could hear everything going on next door. Just talking or flicking a light switch next door was audible in my room. Finally was able to get some ear plugs and was able to sleep fine afterwards.

Other downside (at least in my room) was the shower head. Only had the rain shower type so made it hard to clean extremeties. Women with long hair would presumably not like it either because can't just shower and skip washing your hair. The water comes down hard from the ceiling. Don't think a shower cap would work (although I haven't tried). Presumably no females on the design staff for this hotel.

So, would I stay here again? Probably not. Mainly because of location. I like to be where the action is or at least where there are more facilities close by. This might change as the area develops but perhaps not because there is a sports complex adjacent - thereby limiting residential or commercial possibilities.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing rear to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear LiangShanBo,

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We were a big group of Golfers staying there for a golf tournament and this hotel was very well organised. Great reception, breakfast rooms and located in a open locality with a few options to eat outside too. The breakfast in particular was a great spread to suite to most tastes. Good for conventions large groups and functions. The Spa is special too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jaytee62,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi recently. We are really glad to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. We will continue to do our best to bring the satisfaction to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

At the end of day, its all about how you try to listen and willing to assist the customer.
I was pretty much surprise their platinum member recognition (Seriously better than InterCon Hanoi' ambassador recognition!) and treatment!
I stayed twice this month ( Oct 2013) and both stays are wonderful.
With reasonable rate and service like this, I definitely can recommend.
Minor points are the location and some rooms are smoking smell even though non-smoking room.
And also, lotus spa also nice to try.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear JJ012,

Thank you very much for your recent stays at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and your precious time writing this great comment.

We are very proud that you enjoyed your experience. We believe that we will continue to deliver even better services to all our guests.

Best regards,
Shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

SUMMARY
I have stayed at Crowne Plaza and InterConti properties all over Asia Pacific and they are, without fail, an amazing brand that rarely gets it wrong. I have also had the fortune of visiting several competitors such as Shangri-la, Le Meridien, Hilton, Victoria, Hyatt, and Marriott, so have a bit of a wheelbase from where to judge this stay at the CP in Hanoi. It is precisely because of very good experiences at other CP and InterContis that we chose this one for our stay as we were in transit and required a hotel room just for one night.

THE GOOD
- Staff: The staff was super friendly and dealt with all the self-inflicted problems brilliantly and professionally.
- Restaurant: Great for both dinner and breakfast. Because we were here for only one night, we ordered Vietnamese dishes which were excellent judging by our prior visits to Vietnam.
- Rooms: The rooms were modern, clean, and nicely appointed. Exactly what you would expect from CP.

THE BAD
- Airport Pickup: I had arranged for an airport pickup but when we arrived, there was no one waiting for us. I called the hotel and they had no record of an airport pickup (even though I later showed them their own e-mail confirmation). We took a taxi van from the airport and the driver did not have a clue where the hotel was. He had to stop a few times to ask for directions. Then he smoked a cigarette which took another five minutes. Finally, when we arrived I had to overpay for the transportation because the taxi had 9 seats even though we had really only needed 4. And the hotel was of no help.
- Check-In: The hotel had no record of our reservation. To their credit, they immediately took us up to the club floor probably because they were expecting it to be a lengthy check-in. The manager who was handling out check-in was sweet (probably the damage control director) but it wasn't until we had handed over our passports that they found our reservation. As we had been brought up to the Club Lounge, I expected that they would upgrade us to this floor particularly in light of their mistakes. The nice lady even complimented me on being a gold status rewards member and soon-to-be platinum member. In fact, I have been upgraded to the club floor on numerous occasions. But no, here in Hanoi they felt is necessary to show me what they could have done to apologize but instead proceeded to check me into a normal room despite a long half-hour check-in and no airport pickup. Further, the nice lady gave us free Internet access. But this was because I had to retrieve the e-mail confirmation for my airport pickup from my personal e-mail account so they didn't really have a choice. It took me a long time to find the e-mail because I had to get through both my own and the hotel's firewall. The nice lady asked me several times for the e-mail and it felt as if she was insinuating that I was making the whole thing up.
- Dinner: As already mentioned, the food and restaurant were excellent. But after I signed the bill, I was asked to stay behind because the hotel again had no record of my family's stay at the hotel and our rooms were shown as unoccupied on the restaurant's computer system (90 min after check-in). Very embarrassing to being held and effectively being accused of writing down a false room number which is the same thing as stealing. After calling around for a few minutes, they finally determined that I was not trying to steal and they allowed me to join my family in our rooms.
- Check-Out: I had booked the hotel through a travel agent and the bill was pre-paid. At check-out, the hotel asked me to pay for the rooms again and insisted that I had not paid yet. It was only after I showed them the receipt that they started making more phone calls. This took about 10 minutes but they finally established they were wrong all along. It is very uncomfortable waiting when you are on your way to the airport but are being held up over something that should never have been a problem in the first place. But at least this time the hotel transfer was on time.

FINALLY
Next time, I will go to a different hotel. If it had not been for the continuous problems that were of the hotel's own creation, I would have rated this as 4 or even 5 stars. But at every touch point with the customer, there was a problem. For Crowne Plaza, this is unusual and a first for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear DHWShanghai,

We would like to show our sympathy with the problem you encountered during your stay. We will pass your comments to service team so that we can do our utmost to provide great service to all guests.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great hotel; staff with fantastic English skills and well appointed rooms made this hotel very pleasant to stay at.

Make sure you are not staying here if you need to be in the CBD (Hoan Kiem District) as it is a bit far. I was on business in the area and by far the best place to stay!

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear BM Raffael S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and your precious time writing this comment.

We are very glad to hear that you had a great experience with us. We promise to try even harder to provide best in class services to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel at soonest.

Best Regards,
Hotel Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza West Hanoi? Share your experiences!