“Great value, friendly and helpful boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palace Hotel Hanoi

You added Royal Palace Hotel Hanoi to your Saves list
Royal Palace Hotel Hanoi
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   18A Quan Su, Old Quarter | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #76 of 470 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Great value, friendly and helpful boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I and our two kids (9 and 5) stayed for two nights (non-consecutive) here. We found it excellent value, but what made this place so excellent was the fantastic service. We thoroughly recommend this place.

This is a small boutique hotel, so lacks the amenities of larger establishments. However the room (801) was well maintained, clean and with good fittings. Free wifi was in the room, along with a desktop computer. The beds were comfortable. The balcony was good for a wine or two while the kids slept. It is well located in the old quarter with plenty of shopping and good eating nearby.

The staff were excellent. We dealt mostly with Mr Huy, who definitely went the extra mile to make our stay enjoyable. While booking the excellent Halong Bay cruise and luggage storage was expected, allowing a (very) late checkout and assisting us with a number of matters throughout our stay were done cheerfully. And in excellent English! We had transfers to airports, train stations and cruises were arranged faultlessly.

For a small boutique hotel that is mid-range in facilities, the Royal Palace is excellent value for quality and service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

After establishing contact with this hotel before hand with the request to stay here for a longer period of time they mentioned I was more then welcome and will be flexible and accommodating to all my needs, as in luggage storage if I wanted to leave town for a while etc.

On the phone they clearly mentioned, just come to our hotel directly "no need to book via other website, we give you the lowest rate" - checked their website and it stated 30 USD a night for a deluxe. At arrival I stated I wanted the Deluxe and the reception proudly told me it was 34 USD a night, after showing the website on my phone the price got quickly reduced to 30...

At that point I was being showed to a reasonably clean room, of decent size, with not very well closing window and a bathroom door that cannot be unlocked.

The next morning we went for breakfast and discovered a menu with a wide choice of options, unfortunate this only was the menu because the actual supply, especially in the Vietnamese (surprisingly!) section is very limited.

After 2 days I went out of town for one day and stored my luggage at the hotel, this all went well. Got informed at that point that at return the deluxe are fully booked and if I could stay in a Superior. Of course this was for me no problem so settled the bill for 2 nights deluxe and 1 night superior in advanced. At return the reception congratulated me that the same deluxe room was available, only to discover at check-out that they charged me a additional 9 dollars for it - in other words they congratulated me with being able to pay more...

After again two nights the reception requested me to move to another deluxe room on a lower floor due to a special request, which was on the second floor. Close to the street, noisy, curtains not able to fully cover the window and a much lower quality shower. Not what I would advice to do with potential long-stay guests...

Beside these problems I ran into even more frustrations.
First of all they provided their personal opinion to my girlfriend about me being drunk the night before, as a paying guest I assume you do not say a word about me as person - what happened with respect in this hotel is for me unknown.

Also as they are claiming to be a 3 star hotel I requested a razor kit, which they provided - a cheap local razor but still that is okay. To find out that they charged me 1,5 USD for it, retail price is 10.000 VND as I bought them once before.

Last thing was a laundry issue, they lost 2 shirts in our laundry and only found 1 back after a day. With slight struggle we received a 20 USD compensation - which might have been one of the few positive experiences.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Royal Palace in June and our overall experience was very good. The hotel is well maintained, extremely clean and modern and the staff were always helpful and friendly. We booked a junior suite with balcony and my only disappointment with the room was its size. I thought it was a bit small given the fact that it was referred to as a "suite". It was actually just one average size room with a small balcony which we ended up never using because of the heat. The room, however was very well equipped with fridge, safe, flatscreen TV with a wide choice of programming and even a desktop computer. Wifi is provided free of charge.

If you book here, you have to accept the fact that this is a small boutique hotel and not a 5 star hotel and therefore there are no amenities like a pool, gym, etc. the free breakfast is very limited but served its purpose.but again, don't expect a sumptuous buffet breakfast. This hotel is, however, excellent value for the money.

Some minuses - We arranged for airport transfer through the hotel and the airport pickup did not go as smoothly as I would have expected. We were met in the arrival hall by one individual who turned us over to someone else who then instructed us to sit and wait for about 10 minutes and he disappeared. After about 30 minutes I was getting a bit agitated and was getting ready to call the hotel when a 3rd individual (our actual driver) showed up and drove us to the hotel with no further incidents. When we arrived at our room, I had to call for extra towels as only one bath towel had been provided for the two of us. We also booked a city tour and 2-day Halong Bay tour through the hotel - The city tour we took did not impress me much. The guide was just so-so and my wife found it boring. Our Halong Bay tour had been booked on the Paradise Luxury Cruise but the morning of our departure the hotel's Mr. Tong advised us that Paradise cruises had called to advise that it would not be safe for us to go on their cruise because there were apparently a lot of tourists booked on that same cruise for that day. I still don't buy that story and it always seemed that Mr. Tong knew more than he was letting on. In any event, he changed our booking that same morning to Indochina Sails, a more pricey cruise which he arranged for us at the same price as we had agreed to for the Paradise cruise. Because of the lateness of the booking change, we were late being picked up at the hotel and were put in a bus going to the Galaxy cruise ships. We were told that upon arrival, we would be put on a taxi that would take us to the Indochina Sails docks to our boat. Well, we arrived in Halong Bay late and the Indochina Sails manager had to be notified and he agreed to wait for us. Once in the taxi, we had been told we did not need to pay for the cab but I guess no arrangements were made with the taxi driver as he demanded that we pay him - which we refused to do. After some 15 minutes of going back and forth, the issue was finally resolved and the Indochina Sails staff paid the driver and we were on our way to the boat. The Indochina Sails cruise ended up being the highlight of our trip as it was far better than we ever expected - 1st class all the way and I thank Mr. Tong for getting us on that tour (despite the hiccups we experienced getting there). I still have some doubts as to his motives for changing our booking at the last minute but all's well that ends well.

There was just one other thing which I found a bit annoying. It seems that whenever we left our room, the hotel staff would cut off the electricity to our room to economize. I can understand that to a point but a couple of times we were only gone for an hour or so and came back to a hot room which took over an hour to cool down again. A couple of times, we had to call the desk to turn the power back on because they had failed to do so when we walked back in to the lobby.

I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is reasonably priced and is in a great location. Many of the sights tourists are interested in were within walking distance of the hotel and the staff were excellent - friendly and attentive at all times. Kudos to Mr. Tong for being so helpful and always responding to my emails promptly when I was planning this trip.

Room Tip: If you travel here during the low season (summer) save yourself the extra expense of a room with a b...
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Absolutely recommeding to anyone who comes to Hanoi. My nice experiences already started when I first communicating with Mr. Tong via emails before my trip. He made a nicely arranged "one week" vacation for me; with all hotel nights, Ha Long Bay Tour ( Staying with the Galaxy Cruise which the Tour guide Hoan is a highlight to the whole experience) Tom Coc Tour etc. & breakfasts etc. Everything is just right. Although I didn't like the first room they have arranged, I got immediately arranged to another room the other night. They are responsive and attentive. The farewell part is a peakend experiences, too. Mr Tong escort me to the car and bidding farewell, makes me immediately planning another trip to visit Hanoi and will be staying with them again! Thanks everyone who works in this Hotel! Good Job Mr Tong, Mr Huy, the lady and the other guy who helped with my luggages and breakfast delivery every morning^^ M. Wong

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

reached there on 9 June for my 4 days 3 nights vacation. The location of this hotel is very convenient & it's within walking distance to the hot spot of Hanoi. Even thought it's not a 5 star hotel with swimming pool, but all the staff, Mr Huy, Mr Tong & Ms Lien provide a 5 star hotel's service, well done to them :) they are very helpful & friendly in answering our every single questions, helping us to booked the day tour and also taxi without additional charges, this is the extra services from them. Overall, i would stay there again if i have the chance, & would like to recommend to my friends as well

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked a deluxe room, but got upgraded to a room with a balcony as they had overbooked the deluxe rooms. The room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. The service at the Royal Palace is excellent, the staff are very friendly and attentive. They try really hard to make your stay pleasant.

We booked 3 nights, but ended up stayed a total of 6(with a break in between to go to Ha Long Bay). On our next stay we stayed in a deluxe room. This room was even bigger than the first, again, a very nice room.

Breakfast was included in our rate. Most days we just has cereal and fruit which was fine.

The managers, Mr. Tong & Mr. Huy are very professional, but are also very sweet people. On our last day there Mr. Tong said "very sad to see you go" and stood next to our taxi and waved as we drove off. :-)

We enjoyed our stay, and would stay here again if we were ever back in Hanoi.

From Mr. James & Krishna :-)

Room Tip: I had a look at the cheaper rooms, they have no windows, but still looked nice. So I would say go wi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cabarita Beach Aus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel at the end of a 16 day trip to Vietnam. The service which included breakfast for free everyday, was incredible and faultless in my opinion and also my partners. Aircon, internet, hot water, clean and professionally presented for a very cheap rate. The location is ideal for exploring the authentic lifestyle of nations capital. Beyond that though, the human element was the best we experienced in Vietnam, everything organised free of charge unlike other more expensive hotels we frequented. Young and enthusiastic staff. Mr Huy and his team offered an outstanding service and I would recommend any traveller to his hotel, be it for a day or a month it is well worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Palace Hotel Hanoi? Share your experiences!