“Christmas in Hanoi (2011)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Gate Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal Gate Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Gate Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   09 Nguyen Bieu Street | Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #227 of 489 hotels in Hanoi
Singapore, Singapore
“Christmas in Hanoi (2011)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed 2 nights over Christmas in Hanoi.

After reading the review, I wasn't so optimistic about what I am going to find out but had to go ahead anyway as the booking has been made.
1. The reception was friendly and prompt.

2. The bellboy didn't speak too much of English and glad he allowed me to bring my own bag going up (i prefered it that way)

3. The room was good !! (considering the money I paid). The floor was wooden panelled and very clean. No issue of hygeine with the toilet or bed either. It was clean and my room overlook the lake. Saw the review about some room not having a view, which I can vouched that yes, some room are disadvantaged that way as their window looked out from the other side. (the reason I knew that - point 4)

4. One thing peculiar about that hotel is that the doors for the rooms are all opened unless they're occupied by guest - first time I saw this. This gave me the chance to walk into every unoccupied room to take a look.

5. What impressed me the most - One morning I was late for breakfast after it was closed for 30 minutes , which I am unaware of due to me not reading the breakfast coupon carefully. Once i reach the "restaurant", the staff told me it was over but the boss of the restaurant rushed over and promised to make me something to eat. So i was served beef noodle and whatever they had saved from that morning - which I am satisfied. Just need to eating something quick and conveniently before rushing out.

Overall, I see Royal Gate as an undersold hotel. I have stayed in other hotels in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city which cost more. The rooms, decor and eating places at Royal Gate are not as sophisticated as the rest but the price I paid was about 20-50% less than I would get elsewhere. Very much a Value for Money proposition.

Room Tip: Ask for the Lakeview room if possible.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Mrs Kate N, Manager at Royal Gate Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Mr Wilson Yeo,
My name is Kate. I'm Online Sales Manager of Royal Gate Hotel. On behalf of hotel management and entire hotel staff, I would like to say thank you for your staying and rating us on this site. Your feedback will allow us to improve our services standard. I hope to welcome you back at the hotel soon and I believe that you will enjoy your next staying.
Please feel free to contact directly me by email: sm01@royalgatehotel.com or by phone: +84 914 666 398.
Have a wonderful day!
Best regards.
Kate Nguyen

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cofffs Harbour
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011 via mobile

We are here as part of a group and have 4 nights. The location is a couple of kilometers from the more modern shops and the markets but close to the lake. The room we have is tiny with a view of a brick wall. Some rooms have Lake views apparently. The shower is small but has good pressure and lots of hot water. There is air conditioning which doesn't work on the 4th night. This follows a spell of no power in the room on the same night. A dog barks incessantly each night.
Breakfast is very poor. There is a range of foods available but they all resemble last nights leftovers although the egg station is good. Staff are indifferent at best and it is hard to get a hot cuppa. Room service was laughable with the worst food we have ever experienced. It was cold, badly cooked, poorly presented and the wrong order. And he demanded that we pay cash there and then upon delivery. Ha ha! I told you it was laughable. On check out they wanted money for 4 beers from the mini bar. We don't drink!
Many of our group agreed it was the the worst accommodation in our great holiday in beautiful Vietnam.

• Stayed October 2011
Mrs Kate N, Manager at Royal Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Sir/Mdme,
I'm Kate - manager of Royal Gate Hotel. On behalf of hotel management, I would like to say sorry you about the trouble happed during your stay at Royal Gate Hotel. Today, I'm writing to you to thank you for your feedback, we allow it and improve our service to be better day by day. I would like to let you know that if you recommend your friend stay in our hotel, we will give you a great price or if they need any help, we are very happy to assit them.
Please give us a favor to assit you in your nearest plan.
Thank you so much.
Mrs Kate Nguyen
Yahoo nick: fomat9984
Skype: fomat9984
Cell phone: +84914666398
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Our travel agent booked th eroom for us to get some rest after arriving back to Ha Noi on the night train early morning; too early for the airport and our flight to Hue, so we didn't get to stay the whole day/night, only five hours, but the room was nice, breafast buffet was good. We'd stay there again if we're in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!