“my favourite hostel in Vietnam” 5 of 5 stars

Hanoi Hostel
91C Hang Ma Street | Hoan kiem dist, Hanoi 0084, Vietnam   |
Ranked #6 of 156 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“my favourite hostel in Vietnam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Their honesty, friendliness, excellent service and genuine interest in travellers made my stay feel like a warm, safe nest. Despite all my other less good experiences in Vietnam the owners of this hostel made my last few days in Vietnam a happy, pleasant time.
They helped me booking a flight without any profit for themselves, gave me free beer on the first day of arrival, cooked a nice and fresh breakfast, cleaned the rooms properly on a daily base. And were often available for a nice chat together.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed in this hostel over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. We arrived in the early hours of the morning but were able to sit in the rooftop bar with free tea and coffee until our beds were available. We were staying in an 8 bed mixed dorm which was comfortable and practical. There were 4 bunk beds in the room and each occupant had their own locker big enough for a large rucksack, underneath the beds. The bathroom had a big shower and there was always hot water. The beds were really comfortable with big duvets, small tables and bedside lamps. There was free internet in the reception area and Candy and David were more than helpful with booking tours and onward travel - their English was excellent. The location was about a 10 minute walk to the lake and main attractions. Whilst there we left for a few days to go to Halong Bay and it was no problem to keep our luggage at the hostel while we were away. Overall, I would recommend this hostel to backpackers on a budget wanting clean, comfortable and modern accomodation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

This was the most amazing place we have stayed in. We have been traveling for 3 months with 10 to go and Candy and Mike could not have been more helpful, they were beyond amazing. It was beyond the best place we have stayed, in South east Asia. Thanks again so much Candy and Mike for everything!

Alysha and Keaton

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hanoi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I never write reviews for the places I stay but I have been so impressed with this particular hostel that I needed to write one.I have travelled one month in China & one week in Vietnam so far and the customer service in this hostel has been the best. Candy & Mike have been so helpful on booking tours to Sapa & Halong Bay & giving advice & tips about travelling around Vietnam. They have travelled around Vietnam & taken the tours themselves so they know firsthand by experience on what's it like unlike some other hostels. But the customer service is where they excel. Little nice touches like letting me check out late cause they had room when I had to wait around to board a train later in the day. A towel ready for a shower & coffee made when I arrived early coming back from Sapa cause I didn't have a room booked as I was leaving the same night. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are in Hanoi.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
McKinleyville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

There are lots of "Hanoi Hostels" out there, so just for clarification, this is one at 91C Hang Ma Street in the Hoan Kiem District of Hanoi.

The owners, Mike and Candy, are travelers themselves and this is demonstrated in their attention to all the little details that travelers need in both facility and services. The hostel is kept very clean, each bunk in the gender separated dorm rooms has secure storage, a little shelf to store things, a personal light and an ensuite bathroom.

This hostel also has a lovely private room. They put me in this room at no extra charge the night I arrived super late so as not to wake the other guests which tells you a little more about their thoughtfulness.

In addition to the rooms, the hostel has a small kitchen and upper patio dining area, to computers with internet in the lobby, reliable and fast wifi throughout, and goods for purchase like drinks, toiletries, etc.

The real highlight of this place are Mike and Candy. They are awesome hosts. They can arrange your day trips to Sapa, Halong Bay and elsewhere, purchase your tickets, recommend authentic restaurants nearby for the best Vietnamese food, and are also just fabulous people to chat with (I believe they both speak English, Vietnamese, French, and a little Chinese).

I definitely will stay here next time I visit Hanoi and I recommend you check out this little gem too!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I've been living in Hanoi for two months doing volunteer work. In the first month of my stay I was moving from hostel to hostel while I looked for a reasonably priced room to rent in a house. I stayed in 3 different hostels in Hanoi's Old Quarter and this hostel is BY FAR the best. Everything about it is great.
The young Vietnamese couple who owns Hanoi Hostel (Mike and Candy) are so sweet. They go above and beyond to make your stay as smooth and comfortable as possible. They help you with directions, visas, finding good restaurants and shopping, and they'll find you the cheapest rates for any tour (Sapa, Halong Bay, Cat Ba Island, Perfume Pagoda, Hoi An, etc).
I was planning a trip to Halong Bay one weekend with a friend and I went to Candy to book it. She told me to wait to buy my ticket because she heard there was a typhoon coming to the coast. So I waited and everyday Candy sent me an email or a text message to update me on the typhoons' direction. After two days she called me to say the typhoon was heading towards China so I was safe to book my Halong Bay trip. =) It was so nice. Most tour agents wouldn't say a word about a typhoon and just sell you the trip to earn the commission. Candy really made sure my money wasn't wasted on a rainy Halong Bay.

Plus, they make sure the rooms in the hostel are cleaned everyday; you always have plenty of toilet paper, an empty trash can, and clean sheets...sounds pretty simple, but you'd be surprised what kind of service you get in other hostels.
The breakfast/bar is on the roof and is a great place to chill out. Its open all day with free tea. I loved to sit up there and read a book or work on my computer. Its so bright and peaceful.
If you're traveling to Hanoi, you should definitely stay at Hanoi Hostel. Tell Candy and Mike I said 'Hi'. Maybe they'll give you a free beer.... Just kidding. You'll get that even if you don't tell them I sent you. ;)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

When i first arrived to the strange and very unfamiliar city of Hanoi i prebooked 3 nights at this hostel, having no expectations at all... But Candy and Mike (the couple that own the place) invited me with open hands and hearts to their hostel and helped me with absolutely every thing.. I wanted to do my tours to Sapa, Ha Long Bay and Ninh Binh as cheap as possible and they really helped a lot with everything from Visa, airport pickup to trains tickets..
The hostel is clean, brand new, comfortable beds, cheap (5$), safe, maybe the best shower i had in Vietnam, very nice top floor for relaxing and reading (and drinking beers).
strongly recommend this place to everyone who is looking for a cheap and nice place to stay in Hanoi

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hanoi Hostel? Share your experiences!