“Good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Wings Hotel

You added Golden Wings Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Wings Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   106 Ma May Street | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #233 of 470 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Situated at the old quarters near many restaurants and night market.
Small hotel in a old building.Many floors, but no lift. Our room was on the 5th. Floor, had to climb up a very narrow staircase. May not be convenient for some. Helpful porter will carry the lugguages up.
The bed was not comfortable, sagging and worn down.But very wide.
The ground floor room is very damp and smells musky.

Room Tip: Don't choose the ground floor room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Leeton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Pros: best shower in Asia so far!
Staff super helpful and eager to please. Booked us a taxi for the airport, reasonable price and it was early! Room was ok. No window, but A/C and TV worked well. Bed comfy and room safe. We were lucky to get any accommodation as all tours had been cancelled. We really appreciated the hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

no air con, a damp room that smelled awful. pretty decor, it was just let down by the excessive heat and the dampness. the staff were not that helpful but they were annoyed because we didn't book a cruise with them, maybe that's why they gave us a bad room?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I actually don't want to give negative feedbacks as much as possible to any accommodation that I've stayed before in fact this is the first! But this could help other travelers and hopefully the hotel management will improve their service etc.

I always come back to Hanoi as much as i can to visit some friends. I choose this hotel instead of the hotel that always stayed at, just to try something new of course. Well bad idea, I don't know why they put me in the top floor even if there's not a lot of people checked in, and take note there's no lift. They put me on the 5th floor, and each floor has two stairs so basically I was like on the 10th floor haha! Well its good somehow since it's exercise, but for the nth time I just can't. I asked them if I can change room, they said yes and guess what I was transferred to 4th floor (8th floor) 1 floor less, yes! lol!

Breakfast is average, they always gave me eggs and bread. The last breakfast I had, Stephen gave me coffee as cold as his heart haha! I didn't complain or gave back the coffee thinking that maybe they don't really want me there and can't wait for me to checked out. Proven that since the last night I asked them if I can stay for another night, but they said that they already fully booked, but you can see on the door there's a note: ROOMS AVAILABLE. So the next day I transferred to the hotel which I know the owner (Yes I know its weird why I chose Golden Wings, well I just want to try it as I said before)

I'm Asian we have the same origin, we are both living in a developing country but what's with the double standard, oh yeah I am not white, no offense to the white people but yeah maybe that could be the reason.

Tips: (This is objective)
I think if you booked on Agoda expect the different service, they have doubled standard if you booked on Agoda. Like they will said if you booked more than 4 nights to them instead of Agoda you will have free airport pick up. And I dunno i can sense they much prefer (of course) to book with them since in Agoda, the discount is good.
Don't say upfront when you checked in that you don't have any plans to book any tour or something since when the time you said it you can sense that the black cloud of bad services are coming on top of you, let them hang on to the idea that you might be booked a tour, I know its sounds mean but you gotta do what you gotta do. At the end nobody is harm, right.

But anyways this could be a good hotel, I dunno why I did experienced the bad side. Maybe I could ask them when I come back haha. Or book again again with them kidding, I'll probably stay at the hotel in front of them, then I'll come by to their lobby just to say and ask whyyyyyyyyyyy?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Århus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Golden Wings is a nice family driven hotel in the center of the old distrect in Hanoi. The staff is helpfull and friendly. You can expect everything to work very well. The wifi in my room stopped working one morning, but after telling the staff they fixed it quickly. Air Conditioning, TV and wifi is working nicelyand the rooms are clean. Breakfast is served quickly and you can choose what kind of eggs you witsh. You also get fruit and veggies of the day as well as toast and jam. Expect some noice from the street from the honking motorbikes.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, get one not fronting the street. The deluxe romme have a balcony, but fron...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We got the 3-bed room price down to $20 from $28 after bargaining. The staffs are nice and helpful (as are all the tour guides). The location is great! But as all the cheap hotel in Hanoi old quarter, the ventilation and natural light are poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Golden Wings Hotel for a total of four nights while in Hanoi. The rooms were cheap and the service was excellent. The main gentleman on the front reception gave us great tips and advice on which tours and day trips to go on, and also a lot of tips on how to stay safe in Hanoi. The rooms were spotless and were cleaned daily, providing us with fresh sheets and towels. Breakfast was provided and was one of the better breakfasts that we had in Vietnam hotels. Location was also ideal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Wings Hotel? Share your experiences!