“Dishonest hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Garnet Grand Hotel Hanoi

Garnet Grand Hotel Hanoi
You added Garnet Grand Hotel Hanoi to your Saves list
Garnet Grand Hotel Hanoi
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Nguyen Truong To Street | Ba Dinh district, Hanoi 844, Vietnam (Formerly Asia Garnet Hotel Hanoi)   |
Ranked #465 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Malaysia
“Dishonest hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Exactly same situation with other victim. I was booked to stay at another hotel in Hanoi. I took a taxi at airport and when I arrived Hanoi, a young man came into my taxi and said the air con at my hotel wasn't working and they would take me to other branch under same company same star.

When I arrived Garnet Hotel, I shown my booking number to the boss and he reply "ok, this room already paid". In fact, I was paid to the previously booked hotel. After that, the boss immediately intro some vacation package to us and asking us to sign up. I pay by credit card USD210 for 2 person for Halong Bay trip 2 days 1 night stay. When they convert into VND they charge higher almost equal to USD250 to cover back their room.

We check in our room and the room condition very very bad. I ask them for WIFI password and they said internet down. Lucky I can log in to other WIFI around and found that same situation happen to other traveller previously. I make a call to our previously booked hotel and the staff inform me that the room is ready for check in.

Immediately we pack our luggage and check out. I told the boss that we are leaving because our previously booked hotel call us and ask when we will arrive? Before we left, the boss inform me the tour guide will pick up us tomorrow morning but end up didn't turn up.

Please do not check in this hotel for those who will travel to Hanoi in future.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Nha Trang, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I wish I read the reviews on TA before I came here. I took a taxi from Hanoi airport and asked the driver to bring me to good and affordable hotel in the old quarter of Hanoi. That was my first mistake. He took me to this hotel and the staff were so nice in the beginning. My first question to them was "how much for one night?' they said "oh we have many rooms some are $15, some are $25 and some are $30. I said " I want to see the room for $15 USD " they said "is it only you ?" I said "yes" they showed me the room and it was a nice room so I took it. They started in on the sales pitch of me taking a tour through them. I told them I would think about it but after doing some research I found out that they were trying to sell me a tour for $100 USD but I found the same tour elsewhere for $55 USD. When I came back into the lobby after lunch the owner or manager I am not sure asked me how long I will stay and I said I think about 5 nights. He then asked me to pay for the next 2 nights and I said ok no problem. They had told me the room was $15 USD a night but now they said it's going to be 350,000 VND a night which is $17.50 USD and I told the man I said I think I have to pay 300,000 VND then he lied about the exchange rate of USD to VND but it was only a difference of $2.50 USD per day so I was not so bothered by it. I gave him the money for the next two days. When I woke up the next day to go eat lunch he caught me in the lobby and asked me if I was going to check out the next day. I told him I am not sure yet but I will tell you tomorrow before noon and if I will stay longer I will give you the money then. He said "no I need to know now" I said "but I won't know for sure until tomorrow" he said "no I need to know now" I said " ok you want me to check out tomorrow then I will check out tomorrow" he yelled "yes then you check out tomorrow" I was kinda in shock and not happy when I left the lobby and went outside. Later that same evening my girlfriend came to the hotel and we went out to dinner and we decided that she would stay with me in my room on my last night there at the hotel. I was dreading having to have to talk to this man again and ask him about my girlfriend staying over night with me on the last night. When I walked into the lobby to discuss with him I knew I would probably have to give him more money for her to stay there. But he was not there and one of his employees was working the front desk so I said to him that I wanted my girlfriend to stay in my room that night and asked him how much more I had to pay for her. He said " I don't know you must talk to the boss and he is not here" I said ok can you phone him and ask him for me"? He said he will be back in about 10 minutes he is at the bar around the corner so just wait here in the lobby for him" my girlfriend and I felt very uncomfortable sitting there in silence while the employee kept his back to us while he surfed the internet So after we sat there for 5 minutes in an uncomfortable silence with the employee that tried to sell me a tour for double the regular price . So I asked to him " Can I have my room key and wait in my room for the boss to come back then you can phone my room when he arrives and I will come down to discuss with him" he said ok but your girlfriend must wait here in the lobby" were we in trouble for something? were we being punished for something. I have always known that hotels are supposed to be very welcoming to the customers in order for them to feel comfortable and want to book more nights, tell friends, come back and or write a good review on TA. My girlfriend and I decided to wait outside for the boss to come back from the bar around the corner. When he arrived I asked him if she could stay and he said sure but you have to pay double for the room for the last night. I had already paid for my self and I did not want to check out and go somewhere else and look for a room and lose the money I already spent and we were tired so I tried to negotiate the price but he knew the situation I was in and he would not negotiate so I actually paid another $17.50 for her to stay with me! I have been living in South East Asia for 4 years and I usually pay $1-$5 USD to have my girlfriend stay with me but this guy charged me double! . It get's worse! The next morning I went through the lobby at 11:00 AM to go have a coffee and I saw him and I said "check out is at noon right? he yelled "no 11:30" and I kinda laughed and said "relax man" and then he yelled "no 11:15" I could not believe it ! I went out side for 5 minutes then went back into my room and started packing. I went down to the lobby at 11:15 and said "I am checking out and I need my passport back and here is my key" so he called the maid to check the mini bar. In the 2 nights I stayed there I only drank 4 small waters, 2 small beers and 1 small Coke. He just wrote on a piece of paper that I owed him 195,000 VND! which is around $10 USD for 4 small waters( which I assumed were free) and 2 small beers and 1 small Coke. There was no price list in the room of the items in the mini bar. So I was already afraid what he was going to charge me. He did not list the quantities or drink prices on the receipt he handed me, he just demanded 195,000 VND which is about $10 USD. Any legitimate place would have written a tally of what I drank, how many, and how much for each one. Not this man. He had my passport so I had to pay and not argue. He ruined 2 days of my Hanoi trip. It felt so good to leave that horrible place. When I left I did the math and realized that he charged me twice the amount of what the other hotels charge for what I drank out of the mini bar.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our experience is pretty much the same as others on here saying they were scammed by this hotel. At first I wasn't able to connect to WiFi because of course the first thing I tried to do was look it up on TA since it wasn't the hotel we booked. When I finally was able to connect - thankfully only about an hour later - I saw the reviews on here and couldn't believe it was the exact thing that just happened to us! We immediately grabbed our bags and got a cab to the hotel we had booked. We confronted the guys at the front desk and they really had no reaction - luckily we booked through Agoda so they received no money from us. I guess their hope is that you book tours through them - they hassled us about it the entire hour we were there. Thank goodness for TA or we would have never known!!

• Stayed July 2013
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you want to enjoy your stay in Hanoi, don't book for this hotel!

Arrival: When we arrived at the airport, the arrangement is that a hotel taxi will pick us up. After waiting, the hotel informed us that the taxi left because we are 10 minutes late and we should just rent a taxi. When we arrived at the hotel, it is closed (that's about 11pm), we need to call again the hotel for the 'roll up door' to open. Our room is on the 5th floor, they don't have a lift and didn't even bother to help us carry our luggage.

Room: Room rates are affordable, and the rooms and the bathroom are clean and decent.

Amenities: There is a complimentary breakfast but it starts at 8:00 am because their cook arrives at 8am. So during our whole stay there, we didn't avail our breakfast because we need to leave early in the morning. The Wi-fi is very slow, sometimes, we need to be in the lobby just to connect to the internet. Note: The hotel literally closes when night comes so better have an early night life! LOL

Staff: The staff are not that friendly and accommodating. They have one helper that attends to all room concerns, and all other staff are just in the reception.

Final Verdict: Not recommended for any tourists! Better find other budget hotels than this one. This hotel just wants profit and don't know the real meaning of the word 'service'

Room Tip: Book for the 1st 2 floor. Their staircase is steep and narrow. Going up is really exhausting!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lillehammer, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is our experience with a dishonest hotel in Hanoi!

We were originally booked into another hotel in town, when we arrived at the airport we got into a taxi and gave the driver the name and address for the hotel. When we arrived in town the taxi made a stop and this guy jumped into our car. He told us, in poor English, that our original hotel had some issues with the air condition and that they had relocated us to on of their other hotels. The guy even had a information-sheet about the hotel we were supposed to stay at.
After a long flight we believed this guy, and went to the hotel he represented. When we arrived there we understood that something was a bit "off".

We decided to walk around to find the hotel we were supposed to stay at, when we finally found it, our suspicions turned out to be right - we had been tricked by the Garnet Hotel and their allies.

We didn't spend much time at the hotel but the room was not nice at all. Dirty sheets etc. The staff were just interested in making money, and tried to book us on trips an other tours (which were more expensive than other operators),

DISHONEST people does not deserve customers! There are plenty of other good places to stay in Hanoi - so stay away from this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bergen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We did not book a room at this hotel, but got tricked into going there. They did not have WiFi so we did not see till later that more people have been tricked the same way.

The taxi at the airport worked together with this hotel, and a guy jumped into our car when we arrived in Ha Noi, telling us that the air condition didn`t work at our prebooked hotel and that we were to stay at another place. After a 30 hour flight we didn`t think other than to believe him. Until we saw the hotel he wanted us to stay at. The bed sheets were so dirty, I have hardy seen any worse ever. At arrival they tried to sell us other trips and tours and were not friendly at all. We cleared out in time and found our real destination on our own.

Just stay away from this hotel, they are just out to get tourists, and set a bad example for the locals who are really the most friendly people you`ll ever meet. ALL other hotels are better than this one. If they can`t provide honesty, they are not worthy a business like this.

We told them to expect a bad review on TripAdvisor for doing this to us so here it is. Hope it`s helpful to others who want to visit this amazing city and experience a great welcome, not this kind of behavior.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I was booked in to stay at another hotel in hanoi, when I arrived a young man came into my taxi and said the air con at my place wasn't working and they would take me to their sister location the Garnet hotel. Confused I went along with it, when I arrived I was put into a room that was not up to a standard that I would expect. I checked tripadvisor and read that this was a scheme. I went back to the desk and demanded that they take me to my original hotel. When the cab took me to my original hotel it went in a long way from where I arrived initially, which makes me think that the cab driver was also in on the scheme. I suspect that the positive reviews of this hotel are fake. It was dirty and the linen looked very dirty. I would not pay to stay here. My only negative experience so far.

Stayed December 2012

Been to Garnet Grand Hotel Hanoi? Share your experiences!