“Beautiful atmosphere - gracious, elegant place with character - people who do care” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Don's Bistro

Improve this listing
Ranked #132 of 1,013 Restaurants in Hanoi
4.0 of 5 stars 199 Reviews
Cuisines: Asian, International, Healthy, Bistro, Oyster Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Description: Awarded The Best Restaurant in Vietnam and number 47 of The 50 Best Restaurants in Asia by Diners Club and San Pellegrino, it is a Iconic dining and entertainment destination with a faithful local and international clientele so reservations are recommended. Prices range from mid to high but are great value for the exceptional level of quality. On West Lake (Tay Ho) with beautiful views, fresh breezes, don's Bistro is a comfortable and welcoming fusion of western and Asian décor and flavors featuring a classic yet contemporary International menu of comfort and fine dining dishes from jet fresh oysters to wood fired gourmet pizzas, prime wood grilled meats, Foie Gras, pasta & risottos, delicious Asian choices, vivacious cocktails & a passion for wines, Cuban cigars, and stunning art works. For reservation please advise if you prefer Al Fresco Terrace seating, Smoking or non smoking air con dining rooms or the roof top open air covered Oyster Bar with nightly live music (drinks only or dining ok).
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I write this review after a most wonderful - perhaps even a bit magic early evening dinner at Don's. This was a going away dinner for our out of town guests and indeed worked most beautiful as an exlaimation point to their visit to this fine country. They where very pleased with the atmosphere and the food.
For me it was a particular delight to witness my young sons (9,12) really take to the place and soak up the elegant atmosphere - lots of things where done right both to the adults and the kids delight- starting from the elegant beautiful hostess that immediatly accomodates us with cool iced lime water while preparing our lovely table overlooking West Lake. I was pleasantly surprised that Don's has such a nicely done Kids menue - obviously quite some thought and experience went into that menue alone and into the restaurant as a whole. Since we arrived early we could also take advantage of the happy hour from 5-7pm - two for one drinks for ALL drinks on the list. For us the early dining time worked beautifully since the restaurant was not crowded yet- thus we got a great table without prior reservation and got the most attentive, intelligent yet relaxed service one could hope for.
We ordered mostly from the modestly priced dishes - I was particualr delighted by the smoked salmon appetizer. In our case since we could not splurge too much we likely missed out on the most delishious menue items - the food we ordered however -with one exception - was excellent. The restaurant by the way did not hesitate to take this item off the bill - another pleasant surprise.
I realize that this review is perhaps too rosy and upbeat - but it does reflect our honest experience tonight - since I read here on Tripadvisor plenty of much more critical reviews of the places our family found quite delightful I wonder - obviously those more critical folks shared their honest opinion the same way I just did - they honestly came away soo much more disapointed - in part this is perhaps due to the fact that after a while one can loose a bit of the sense of value here in Vietnam - since most things are so cheap for us relatively rich foreigners the minute one pays a bit more one expects the world. I imagine it is unbelievable difficult to create a world class dining experience in this country. Honestly our family back in the US could not afford the equivalent of a place like Don's. I imagine however folks that truly can afford whatever dining experience they fancy anywhere in the world will by the nature of things be more critical. For me this place truly has the owners " I enjoy what I do and truly care" written all over the place. Give the man and his young family and wonderful intelligent staff your business - enter with a smile and hopefully leave as pleasantly surprised as we where tonight.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gastro-surfing, Owner at Don's Bistro, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
what a wonderful touching and well written review. Guest like you make our day, thank you for the time you took to write and consider our side when it comes to reviews and thank you for being a gentleman! Also thank you for recognizing we love and respect children, I am proud dad too! Some of the more negative and self centered reviewers could learn from your kindness. Hope to welcome you and your family again and again.

• Korean first
London
“Great food, superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We found Don's online while looking for a restaurant in Hanoi. Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly and we had a great table with view over the lake. The menu has a selection of everything and after a week of Asian food, it was nice to order some home comforts! After we ordered, Don himself came to the table and we had a nice chat. He also surprised us with tiramisu on the house, which was delicious. I can really recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in Hanoi.

• Visited May 2013
Gastro-surfing, Owner at Don's Bistro, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Chris,
thank you for the excellent review, very kind of you. We are so pleased you enjoyed our bistro, our team hopes to welcome you back on your nest visist.
best regards
donald
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Would recomend Don's it's a nice restaurant that I would comsider as gastronomical,not for the ambiance but food is excellent. Still is more reasonable than what you would eat abroad at 2 or 3 times more expensive. Nice place to have a nice dinner with wine. Would go back there any time for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing food, excellent staff, beautiful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My partner and I ordered the degustation (6 courses from memory) with matching wine - not cheap by Vietnamese standards at about 1.8m dong each (c.$85), but VERY much worth it - for a similar quality degustation with wines in a western capital city you would pay double to triple that. Every course was amazing, a couple of them even being from an Iron Chef episode!! Rare in SE Asia, the wines (Chilean and French) were beautiful too.
The staff spoke good English and were befitting a 5-star restaurant.
The view out to the lake, both inside the restaurant level as well as from the roof-top open-air bar, just add to the experience.
Definitely well worth a visit when in Hanoi!!

Kunming, China
“Chic atmosphere, great roof deck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I took our young son to Don's last Thursday for dinner. The staff was lovely, entertaining our son with balloons on the roof terrace while we enjoyed mimosas and a welcome tour from the chef himself. The interior dining rooms are beautifully designed with stain glassed windows and dark wood floors and tables. The menu is an eclectic mix of both Indo-Asian and Euro/American favorites. The Canadian spring rolls are a must, my husband ordered an upscale version of traditional meatloaf and my son was treated to fresh juice, homemade bread and coconut ice cream - and crayons for entertainment. A lovely night out, we will definitely be back.