“Delicious and definitely worth it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 1,005 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: French, International, Fusion, Asian fusion
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
London
“Delicious and definitely worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We don't like to spend too much in restaurants normally so we were a bit apprehensive about the price. However this was delicious and we did think about going back the next day.

We had a prawn bisque to start. My partner hadn't realised this would be soup which he would normally have avoided but was pleasantly surprised. The meat in our main was incredible and the dessert so tasty. We still remember everything about our meal even though it was back in April.

We were in the outdoor part of the restaurant which was a lovely setting

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing French Cuisine in Hanoi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I am in Hanoi on business trip and decided to visit a nice fine dining restaurant. Did a search on TripAdvisor and found La Badine which is very close to my hotel. Ordered the dinner set and foi gros and I was blown away. Never imagined a great fine dining restaurant exist in Hanoi. Highly recommended if you want an amazing dining experience. The price is affordable even if it is on the high-end for normal Vietnamese. To me, the price is relative lower than any fine dining places in Singapore, Thailand, or Hong Kong.

Beijing, China
“good mix between French cuisine and Vietnamese flavours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

the restaurant was a great choice. maybe a little expensive for Ha Noi standards, but much cheaper to any similar restaurant in either North America or Europe.
we order Filet, Salmon and Duck with starters and a bottle of st Emilion by USD 170.
the food was delicious, with a good mix between French cuisine and Vietnamese flavours such as ginger and Tamarin.
Service was outstanding, i would definitely recommend

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“The price matches the experience! (The experience was AWESOME!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My dinner set me back $33. I didn't have a starter, but had a glass of Pinot Noir, 1 bottle of water, and the main course. I chose the lamb shank as my main course.

I appreciate choice food. It is art. At this restaurant I felt like the little balls of who-knows-what and drippings of sauces and gravies all melted together into an orchestra of pleasure.

I didn't expect this kind of place in Vietnam. If you have some cash, it is definitely worth checking it out!

Singapore
“Quite a letdown”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I brought my partner there for dinner on her birthday last Friday (20/9) and am still kicking myself for having picked La Badiane over the other restaurants on my shortlist (Le Beaulieu, La Verticale etc).

Despite indicating in my email to the restaurant that I would be bringing my partner there to celebrate her birthday, something that was definitely conveyed to the wait staff as the word "Birthday" was found in the remarks column alongside my name on the reservation list, none of the waitresses so much as wished my partner "Happy Birthday" upon our arrival. The same goes with the French chef/owner who came to our table subsequently to pour us our first glass of champagne. He of all people should remember we were there to celebrate a birthday 'cos more likely than not the restaurant's "yahoo.fr" email account is being handled directly by him. I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant, fine-dining or otherwise, that failed to extend birthday wishes to the person whose birthday was being celebrated at its premises. Many of the restaurants would even present the birthday boy/girl a complimentary drink or slice of cake.

The lack of class on the part of the restaurant staff was nothing though compared to the shock we experienced upon being ushered into one of the two dining rooms upstairs. It felt nothing like a fine-dining restaurant at all! There was a table occupied by six noisy and shabbily-dressed (shorts and sandals) tourists. Shouldn't an establishment that classifies itself as a fine-dining restaurant and charges fine-dining prices impose a dress code on its customers? We couldn't tolerate the terrible ambience after five minutes and asked to move to the other dining room. The second room was better than the first but not by much. There was also a table in there occupied by five or six rather noisy customers but at least they were appropriately dressed. The

On to the food.... For starters we had Beef Carpaccio and Pan-fried Fois Gras Terrine. Both were nice but not exceptional. It's most baffling someone on Tripadvisor commented the fois gras was one of the best he's tasted. For main courses we had Pan-fried Duck Breast and Pan-fried Scallops with Squid Ink Pasta. The former was good (probably the best dish of the night) while the latter was pretty bad - the squid ink pasta was way overcooked and despite the presentation the overall taste of the dish didn't impress one bit.

For dessert we shared a Raspberry Tart in Lemon Cream. It was not bad but nothing to rave about. The champagne (can't remember the name) we ordered tasted rather sour. My partner said it's because the grapes used in its making were too young. No fault of the restaurant of course but what was funny was the waitress that came in throughout the night to top up our glasses didn't have a clue as to what the right amount to pour into a champagne glass was. She kept filling up our glasses all the way up to the 4/5th or 9/10th mark as if we were having coke!

Give La Badiane a miss if you're looking to have a fine-dining experience in Hanoi. We had dinner the previous night at The Gourmet Corner up on the top floor of the Elegance Diamond Hotel and the ambience there was way way more like what one would expect of fine-dining than La Badiane's.

• Visited September 2013