“My girlfriend (vegetarian-ish) would give it one star ...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 1,040 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: An intimate bar greets you upon entry where you can have a tipple or two before adjourning to the main dining room. Located just beside the scenic West Lake, the wide windows provides a majestic view of the water. Tuck into hearty and comforting signatures while being tended to by our warm and friendly servers. And private rooms for meetings and parties on the upper floor. Halia's cuisine is a marriage of European traditions and light Asian flourishes. The food is modern yet classical, adventurous yet familiar. Try our signatures such as the Shrimp satay ginger flower salad, Beef carpaccio with flavours of Vietnam, Javanese spice rack of lamb, Crabmeat pignolina pasta "rieu cua" sauce and Singapore-style chilli crab spaghetti. For desserts, dig into rich Vietnamese coffee creme caramel, or the Caramelised mango and lemongrass tart with coconut ice cream.
London, United Kingdom
“My girlfriend (vegetarian-ish) would give it one star ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

First things first; check where you're going before you set off - I believe this restaurant relocated in late 2013 / early 2014 and still shows in the old location on some maps (and in the minds of some taxi drivers as we found out .....!!).

Location: It is NOW in Tay Ho District (Westlake) area, near the Sheraton Hotel. This is a pleasant contemporary building; nice dark wood furnishings, mood lighting etc. With a view across the lake (too dark when we went, but we got it!).

Service: really attentive and polite - the kind of place where they remember and call you by your name - nice touch, a warm welcome by the manager also which was charming.

Food: clearly good ingredients across the international style dishes, but drawing on Asian traditions, with a touch of michelin star presentation to each, there is an interesting range of dishes here across meat, pasta, fish etc. and I would say something to suit everyone BUT, my vegetarian-ish (eats fish and chicken) girlfriend did struggle here; she ended up having her third choice (and last - we would have had to leave if they didn't have her third choice!) - and didn't have such an enjoyable meal. We weren't dining late so a real shame that her first two choices were already off the menu (which is impressive but not extensive).

For those eating meat there is great Australian rack of lamb or tenderloin, USA prime rib eye and the Australian Wagyu strip loin,

Wine: Good choice at competitive prices (with a nice separate area for pre-dinner cocktails).

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Vietnamese first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Terrific service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

From the moment you step into the restaurant and all throughout the meal, you will feel the best, most attentive and beautiful customer service. We enjoyed our meal, which was enhanced by our waiter, Ryan, really pampering us and being extremely polite. He went the extra mile and even learned our names, and told us about the area. The food was fine, an interesting mix of vietnamese food with an eclectic French twist. Order the cod - it is sublime!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
hanoi
“fantastic food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Halia serves up some amazing food...you won't be disappointed! Their set weekday luch menu is superb value - 3 course for roughly 11 bucks, and the food is always outstanding and they also offer a wide selection of dishes (4-5 choices for each course). Tho for me, the icing on the cake has to be the level of service they offer. From the managers to the bar staff, i've only encountered genuinly warm hospitality...definitely the best service in hanoi. I've been going here fairly regularly for over a year now and they have never let me down. Thank you halia!

• Visited June 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam
“BEeF TeRIYAKI SPaghetti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have cravings for that since I left hanoi 3 years ago and when I came back first thing I did was head right down to Halia from Noibai airport and I was very elated that they still had the beef teriyaki spaghetti on the menu. It tasted the same as before. Kudos to the chef. I came back for brunch and that didnt dissappoint either! Salmon egg benedict was awesome. Salmon was cook to perfection. Halia hanoi has the best service staff. I felt like home all the time. ;)

• Visited May 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Maybe my fav brunch option in Hanoi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Went there for brunch and was smitten by the impeccable service. I had called ahead for reservations and when we entered I was addressed by name. Our waiter introduced himself and every single staff member was incredible. Have not had that kind of service before in Hanoi. What appears to be the manager lady also stopped by towards the end to check if we were happy.

The space is small and intimate, has a five star feel, the 'view' over the lake is rather limited though and the cushy bench along the wall is a tad to low for the table.

Foodwise I was also very impressed. I am on a spree looking for the best egg benedict in town, and Halia's version is up on top there. What you get is a 1-egg benedict (ham), florentine (spinach) and atlantic (briefly seared salmon) all on top of a big slice of brioche topped with a very nice hollandaise. My wife had an omelet with crab meat, though she had a hard time finding those small pieces of meat. Our son was happy with the kids' menu offerings (for him: hamburger).

So far I am giving this 4.5 stars, as I find it a bit expensive on the drink side. My iced tea was very nice, but a fairly small glass. But after perusing their dinner set menu, I can imagine that upon return I might even give them a 5 star rating.

• Visited May 2014