“Doctor River the Medicine Man” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   157 Lo Su, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #197 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
4.5 of 5 stars 470 Reviews
Old Bar, Australia
“Doctor River the Medicine Man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had picked up a bit of a belly bag on the way to Hanoi and after a couple of 'uncomfortable' days, Doctor River insisted on taking me to the SOS International Hospital for some medication and I was back on track in 24 hours. Some special 'yellow fruits' as suggested by the SOS Doctor were found for me and I was back out in the Old Quarter. This was on the second of 4 separate stays at THE JASMINE, after extended trips to SAPA, HOI AN and CAMBODIA (via Pleiku and the road to Siem Reap from the north east). I was able to leave things safely at THE JASMINE so that I could travel lightly and was met each time at the airport and delivered there as well. When I returned to THE JASMINE I was always met by a very friendly smile no matter what time it was. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the front rooms which I prefer, with a small balcony are of course noisier but you are after all in the OLD Quarter 120m from Lake Kiem, (try and take a bad photo around the lake). Everything was organized for me for SAPA and I was there in time to see the end of the harvest. Overnight train up and Sapa Express bus back. I let Ms Yen in the booking office organize Sapa for me and she rang several times to see if things were ok. Thank you River and Spring and all of your wonderful staff for your care. I also spent a few nights at THE POSH, the sister Hotel to THE JASMINE, I had a great room there and right near the night markets, coffee shops, 54 TRADITIONS ETHNIC GALLERY and BOOKWORMS BOOKSHOP/CAFE. The view from the dining room at THE POSH is magnificent.

Room Tip: I really love the front rooms with a small balcony, I find no problems with the extra noise. The ba...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

The Jasmine is good value for its star rating. Clean and comfortable with a generous breakfast. What makes it unique is the friendly, kind staff that go out of their way to be helpful. Situated in easy walking distance to the 'Old Quarter' the Jasmine is a great place to stay and relax.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

Great service and good deal for location. The hotel very kindly helped organize a last minute day tour after 8pm the night before, when other plans fell through. AC was broken in my room - and it was very hot, which was disappointing after 40 hours of travel. It was also quite noisy and my room was poorly ventilated. I was told I had booked at a bargain rate, but I don't think that was an excuse for the AC problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and confirm the AC
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We booked 2 nights here after having come back from Halong Bay and were met by the receptionist when we got dropped off at the hotel, she came out to welcome us and give us a hand with bags.

We were shown to our room after being given a free bottle of water each. We got told that our room had been upgraded for free too! The room was great, clean, spacious, and relaxing. There was also a mini kettles with tea and coffee sachets and more free water bottles (replenished each day). The bathroom was again clean and fairly sized with free toiletries and great hot water and water pressure in the shower.

The location is great, very near the lake and water puppet theatre and lots of lovely Vietnamese street food places.

The staff are super friendly and every time we walked past reception they would have a little chat with us, asking what our plan for the day or where we'd been.

One slight irritant at the end if the stay was that when you book a room you are quoted in USD but you pay in VND, but they work out the exchange rate more than the current exchange rate to favour them (we paid an exchange rate of 21,500vnd to the $1, when the actual exchange rate was 21,175vnd to the $1), so perhaps ask to pay in dollars.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our second stay at The Jasmine Hotel and it was just as wonderful as our first. Knowing it was our honeymoon they decorated our room and gave us a special honeymoon cake and wine. The best thing about this place is how warm and welcoming the staff were, they were so helpful organising our trip to Ha Long Bay and the breakfast provided was very homely. The hotel was in a great location in the Old Quarter and staff were always happy to give advice on where to visit and shop.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

All staff members were superb in this hotel. They couldn't be more helpful. We took an overnight trip to halong and got back to hotel at 4.30 pm. The hotel had only one room available but they gave us (free) to shower before we left for our over night train to Da Nang. When we came back from Hue for the second stay at 4:30 am, they offered us an early check in at 5:30am and did not charge any extra for this early check in. The front desk organised taxi to/from airport for us as well as the trip to Halong bay, train tickets to Da Nang and from Hue back to Hanoi. We were 2 hours late to check out of our room the final day but we were not charged extra for that - incredibly service. Location is also very excellent - only a minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake.

Room Tip: Me and my partner had the same room both time and we were happy. It is on the back, high floor and v...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

At the Jasmine Garden Hotel it is all about the most unforgettable customer service and the guest is number 1. All the staff are focused at giving you a positive experience where nothing is too much trouble. They are extremely welcoming you and make sure you are comfortable before booking you in. The room was spacious, spotlessly clean and airy and plus the bed was extremely comfortable. A little outside balcony was lovely to watch the world go by. Breakfasts are included in the booking and are delicious! Located in the centre of Old Quarter Hanoi made shopping and taking in the sites all in walking distance.I have already recommended The Jasmine Garden Hotel to friends as I am confident they will receive 5 class service.It is certainly a credit to Spring River Miss Yen and all the staff for their caring can do attitude.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Jasmine Hotel? Share your experiences!