“The Best Hotel in Hanoi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nam Ngu Hotel

You added Nam Ngu Hotel to your Saves list
Nam Ngu Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Nam Ngu Street | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam (Formerly Friendship Hotel)   |
Ranked #82 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Sippy Downs, Australia
“The Best Hotel in Hanoi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My best friend and I stayed at the Nam Ngu Hotel for two weeks at the end of September beginning of October 2010. The Hotel was immaculant, so clean and the room was just huge.

What can I say about the staff?? There really is not the right words to describe how wonderful everyone was. I felt like I was staying with family. The beautiful girls on Reception just went way above to do whatever they could for us.

Kevin the General Manager treated us like we were VIP's.

I had a serious fall in the lobby and all the hotel staff could not have done more for me. One of the staff even came in the taxi to the hospital to translate for me.

If we needed anything, housekeeping or even anyone who was on reception would just bring it straight to our room.

I cannot stress enough that if you are going to stay in Hanoi you really will be missing a big part of the trip by not staying at the Nam Ngu Hotel.

Leanne Dorsett

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Ariva Nam Ngu Hotel rooms are clean and it is along a road that is away from the heavy traffic. The Manager upgraded one of our rooms to executive room so we could be next to each other on the same floor. The free wifi in the room worked well. The front desk and bell staff were cheerful and helpful. The hotel has a good A4 printout of the Google map showing its location and the streets of Old Quarter.

It is just a block or so from Quan An Ngon, the food court for street food. Quan An Ngon is rated #5 of 441 restaurants in Hanoi in Tripadvisor and we sampled a number of street food stalls upon our first day of arrival. Indochine Restaurant was previously a few feet away from the hotel but it has since moved.

It is possible to walk to the Old Quarter but it takes at least 20-30 minutes depending on your speed and sense of direction. Traffic is chaotic so be very careful when crossing the roads. Taxis costs from 25 to 50 VND to the Old Quarter. Different taxi companies charge different rates. We got ripped off by a metered taxi ride for 150 VND for the same route on our first trip there. Subsequently for all of our taxi rides, we looked at the distances on the map and quoted what we wanted to pay before boarding. In this way, we cut our losses and avoid the unnecessary extended routes and time. The drivers would still turn on their metres and our estimates were quite close to the metered fare. After the first 2-3 rides, you would be able to gauge the fares.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Nam Ngu Hotel for 5 nights then went on a Ha Long Bay tour and loved this hotel so much we returned for another 3 nights. The hotel is clean, plenty of space and quiet. A lot of tourists I spoke to that stayed in the Old Quarter complained of too much noise from traffic. The manager and staff are excellent. Nothing is too much trouble. We really enjoyed our stay here. It is in a good area, close to shops, restaurants and the area feels very safe (this is a genuine review). Enjoy ... Arna from Australia

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Firstly, the Operations Manager quoted me different rates on 2 separate occasions when I enquired (for the same dates). It goes to show there is inconsistent pricing by the hotel. When I challenged him about it, it wasn't too difficult to guess he offered me the lower rate.

Secondly, when I wanted to book another day-use, I was told it was full and if he could book me the nearest hotel instead. That was the last time I heard from him in email after I had replied him "yes please". We were left with no hotel and no assistance to book an alternative hotel. In the end, we had to lug our luggage from the train station to Nam Ngu to pick up our 2nd luggage in the heavy rain at 4am, and then lug both luggages to Prince Hotel to try our luck. No apology or offer from Nam Ngu to transfer us to Prince, which turned out to be a more pleasant stay than Nam Ngu.

For those who are looking to stay near the train station, Prince Hotel is the best choice (disregard its facade though). Nam Ngu's staff were generally friendly but my experience was marred because it is unreliable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury East, South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Location of the Nam Ngu Hotel is great if you are looking for a Vietnam experience with the noise and bustle of a big city, sitting in a side street with minimal traffic it is an easy walk to shops and the main streets, there are some steps when entering the hotel which would be an issue with wheel chair bound guests but there is a lift in the Hotel. The hotel breakfast is average and maybe not as hot as one would like but adequate for the start of the day, We did have tepid temperature showers but with the Vietnam summer this was a cool blessing, I believe there was a switch to be located for the hot water but we were not shown its location in the room or advised. The room size is also adequate with a firm mattress, as with most Asian hotels there is a safe located in the room for documents and other precious items. The hotel prices are good for Vietnam standard and the rooms are bright with the ability to darken the room for sleeping through the day time if required. the rooms are cleaned daily and there is a laundry service available. been Located within the city of Hanoi the view from the rooms are limited to city views. We found the room bar fridge wasn't all that cold for drinks, like water but keeping an eye out on the streets for cold water wasn't an issue, The restaurants located close to the Hotel were found to have a great selection of food and really well priced, mostly deep fried food been the North of Vietnam. The Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful with finding locations and places of interest, there is sometimes a language barrier but with their helpfulness and gentle nature this can be easily worked through, This is a good hotel and worth the interest of looking at for a good location close to shopping, offering the Vietnam experience, I have rated the hotel restaurant as average but only on their breakfast selection and food temperature we did not dine in for dinner , the whole a/c for the Hotel is good and not found to be noisy.

Room Tip: all rooms seem good with good wall thickness as no disturbances were en-counted.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This is a great little hotel with nice rooms, great showers and really lovely staff. I was here for 4 nights and got sick and the staff could not be more helpfui. It is well located with all the major sights within 3-10 minutes walk. And the best bit is that the best restaurant in Hanoi is on the street- quan an ngon.

The receptionist was absolutely lovely and could not do enough to help

Room Tip: Choose a double and you get a bath. Deluxe singles have a double bed but showers
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I spent three nights at this hotel. The rooms are small but very well appointed, with fridge, jug, safe. It was very quiet and seemed to have good sound proofing between the rooms.

It was very clean, the bathroom was spotless.

The staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful, I got into trouble getting back to the hotel because the taxi driver didn't know the way, the staff helped me talk to the driver on my cellphone. They also really went out of their way to get an important package to me also.

There is a fantastic restaurant at the end of the street which is very well known in the city. One tip is to take the restaurants card (they have them at reception). The taxi drivers all know this restaurant, as they sometimes didn't know where the hotel was, so if you get stuck you can get the driver to take you there and then just walk a few meters to the hotel. There is also a good bakery at the end of the street if you are wanting bread.

Excellent service, very clean with good quiet rooms and good location to access sights in Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Nam Ngu Hotel? Share your experiences!