“Friendly and helpful service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hanoi Serenity Hotel

You added Hanoi Serenity Hotel to your Saves list
Hanoi Serenity Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1B Cua Dong St. | Hoan Kiem, Hanoi 10000, Vietnam   |
Ranked #53 of 450 Hanoi B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“Friendly and helpful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

We loved our stay at Serenity Hotel - we felt completely safe and secure. The rooms were very clean and good amenities. We were particularly impressed with the level of helpful service we got - they were very friendly and helpful, booking tours for us when we asked, ringing taxis, recommending restaurants etc. We felt genuinely cared for and at home, and it was a nice refuge to come home to at the end of a frantic day in hanoi

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

While this hotel might not be the prettiest from the outside, once you walk in the doors, you are treated like gold. the rooms are clean and spacious, the breakfast is delicious, and the service from the staff is second to none.

the manager, Mr. Sun, runs this hotel like a true professional. not only did he recommend a tailor for my friend and me to get business suits made, but he joined on on the trip to ensure we got the best deal possible at the tailor shop.

i highly recommend serenity hotel for your stay in hanoi - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I have mixed emotions about this hotel. I stayed here for 3 nights before my Halong Bay cruise. The staff are very helpful, but unfortunately their English is not great so they smile and laugh alot, though they are helpful if you need a taxi or a suggestion for dinner. Its unfortunate that in Vietnam its all about getting commission for referring guests so if you ask for a cooking class or a Halong Bay cruise they will only recommend friends, its better to find out for yourself.
The rooms are comfy, but our sheets were not 100% clean, the shower is also one room with the toilet so you basically shower over the toilet and then everything becomes wet. Ask for a high floor as the lower floors are very very loud with all the traffic. Its also a very loud hotel, people constantly banging or running up the stairs.

They have free internet and wi fi, a really nice breakfast. I recommend the banana pancake. Its in a very very busy area of Hanoi, the old quarter. I didnt like the location, it was very noisy all the time, but then again Hanoi is noisy all the time.
It was a good base for our 3 days, and it is at the high end of the scale for a 2 star hotel at $25 US a night for a standard double. The staff were very very nice and let us have our room for another day for free of charge as our flight didnt leave until 9pm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

The room is clean, plenty of advises on out of town tours. The host recommended really good restaurants, and they also arranged a pick-up to go to the airport from a restaurant. It is good place to stay.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed in the Serenity Hotel for an initial 2 nights with 2 rooms but increased it to 4 as my friend and I continued our trip across Vietnam using Hanoi and the Serenity Hotel as our base. The rooms are basic but I have no complaints at all, I admit there were a few minor problems with my friends’ room but they are minor and we didn’t travel for nearly a day to sit in a hotel room and watch TV! But above and beyond all of this you need to place in context the price that you pay, $20 US per double bedroom which works out to the equivalent of £12.50 GBP, you couldn’t for love nor money find a hotel equipped with TV/AC/Shower and Breakfast in the centre of a town for that money in the UK. But if that wasn’t good enough the staff were amazingly friendly and I honestly believe that to be true, they were always happy and smiling and willing to recommend places and have a chat with you. Yes the hotel doesn’t have a lift but will the walk kill you? And never the less the young guy who works there (sorry don’t know his name) is more than happy to take your bag to your room or even collect it for you, even if you had 3 steps still to walk down he would still try and help you. He also acts as security late at night and no matter what time you turn up and wake him, he is still happy to see you.

I knew that the Serenity Hotel offered a tour operating service and was very happy when the next day after our arrival Mr Son sat down with us to go over our options and discovered we could cover more than we anticipated, we never would have been able to successfully do this without Mr Son’s help. He booked every aspect of our 15 day trip in Vietnam including hotels, taxi’s, trains and flights. I appreciate that they make a commission from booking these trips but it was worth the 3 quarters of an hour that we spent organising this, rather than the potential day trying to organise it ourselves and the inevitable struggle we would have had with that. To add I also fell ill with a 24 hour bug meaning I had to stay an unplanned extra night in 1 of the booked hotels, and not travel to our planned next destination. Naturally I expected to have to pay for that extra night, this didn’t happen, Mr Son found out I was ill and cancelled my hotel in the next city and used that money to pay for my unforeseen extra 1 nights stay. He did this without me even asking him and he called me at my hotel room to say that he had done it, he also organised another taxi to meet me at my next destination at no extra cost to me. If this hotel and its staff were not genuinely helpful people, why would they do this? You would never ever get service like this in any hotel in England or even in Europe for that matter. The rooms may not be amazing but I stayed there because I felt comfortable, I liked the staff and they offered amazing service. The beds may be hard but that is the Vietnamese tradition, their bathrooms may become wet rooms when you have a shower but this is their tradition; respect this minor difference in routine in your life and experience what true customer service and hospitality really means. The staff at the Serenity Hotel even came out on the street to wave us off on our last day, so thanks very much to you all.. Hotels in UK & Europe take note you should be embarrassed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

I really wanted to like this hotel a lot more than I did. The staff were absolutely delightful and I do want to give them a good review. However some things weren't that great and I think they should be pointed out.

We booked the cheapest room and when we got to the hotel, we realized cheapest means the room does not have a window. We asked to be switched and for a $5 increase in the price per night and were given a huge room on the 5th floor with an enormous window. I think the window was the best part of the room actually. It looked out onto Hanoi and we really enjoyed sitting by it and observing the people below.

The bathroom was tiny and a typical Vietnamese situation where the shower head hangs over the toilet. A lot of these types of bathrooms don't drain very well, so the floor ends up being wet for the rest of the day. Luckily this particular bathroom drained very quickly, but as a westerner I still prefer the normal (to me) shower over the tub combination.

The airconditioning in the room didn't seem to work well. It never felt cold enough. The TV also didn't work. When we asked, we were told that the issue with the TV affected the entire block. It's entirely possible, but was mildly annoying.

The good things about the hotel are the staff, amazing free breakfast, and spotless rooms. The breakfast definitely went above and beyond normal free breakfasts at Vietnamese hotels. There were Vietnamese delicacies and Western staples and watermelon juice! I was very impressed with the food.

Also, I could tell that the staff genuinely wanted us to have a good experience at their hotel and that's why I feel bad writing anything negative at all. However at $30 a night, there are other hotels in the area that are just more comfortable and of better value.

Nonetheless, like my title says, this place has a ton of potential and I think with a few tweaks it can deliver.

Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

was assigned to this hotel by Hanoi Guesthouse. The room is big and clean, toilet a bit small with no designated shower area (water splash all over). The only bad thing about my room was it is a smoking-room, so, very smell really bad. The non-smoking room that they showed me is in 5th floor, without lift, I am phobia with climbing up n down.
Mr Son is extremely "over" friendly when try to sell me the Halong Bay Package. I always step back when someone "act" that way, it makes me feel that they are not sincere and trying to squeeze money out of me.
I am quite right, when the price that he quoted is slightly (USD2) more than what Hanoi Guesthouse offering. Anyway, it is negligible small.
I would recommend if you are getting it with cheap price. I am paying USD16 for a double room, with single occupancy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hanoi Serenity Hotel? Share your experiences!